FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

03MAR15 - REMOVING SOVEREIGNTY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 03MAR15 - REMOVING SOVEREIGNTY
    Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 22:11
REMOVING ANOTHER PLAYER'S SOVEREIGNTY
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Hi everyone,

With immediate effect, sovereignty struggles are now back, but slightly differently.  This new process entirely replaces the old (and previously disabled) process of counter-claiming sovereignty.

Simply put, sovereignty removal is a mechanism that allows a player who does not own the sovereignty on an already-claimed square to attempt to remove the other player's ownership, and then establish their own claim if they wish.  You may remove sovereignty from hostile (war), neutral, or friendly (alliance, NAP etc) players; anyone, essentially, apart from yourself.

It's now a more coherent 2-step process whereby:
  1. You first remove the existing sovereignty on a square, and 
  2. Then claim it for yourself, if you wish to
However, the same army can perform both actions without needing to return home, if you order it to.

There is a new research, Foment Unrest, in the Sovereignty tree, which unlocks the ability to remove other players' sovereignty.

HOW DO I REMOVE ANOTHER PLAYER'S SOVEREIGN CLAIM?
  1. Research Foment Unrest from the Sovereignty tree in your town.  Its pre-requisite is "Subjects".

2. Send an army from that town to occupy a sovereign square that you do not own the sovereignty on

3. When the army arrives, click on it on the map and choose "Remove sovereignty" from the pop-up

4. Your ability to remove sovereignty will be assessed, and the option to remove it - if you meet all the requirements - will be presented as well as the costs and time.

5. Assuming you pass the removal minimums, you will be able to press the button labelled "Remove", and your removal timer will start. If you don't met the requirements it will tell you why.

6. If you have multiple armies on that square from the town initiating the sovereignty removal, the removal will be based on the army that has been occupying for the longest, at the time the removal is started.

Only one army can be removing sovereignty on a particular square at any one time.

7. You must then hold that army on that square for the entire duration of the removal.  You (and your friends) can, of course, reinforce the square with their armies, but if the army that initiated the removal action is destroyed or recalled by messenger, the removal is deemed to have failed in its entirety

8. If the removal succeeds, then all sovereignty on the square is removed, and the square resets to "neutral" sovereignty
As an "edge case" note, if the current square is at sovereignty zero (but rising to sovereignty one) then removal of the sovereign claim is immediate.

ASSESSING YOUR ABILITY TO REMOVE SOMEONE ELSE'S SOVEREIGNTY
RESEARCH
The town to which the army belongs must have completed the Foment Unrest research in the Sovereignty tree, after Subjects.

TIME
The time to remove sovereignty is the current level of the sovereign square (1 to 5) multiplied by 24 hours.

The army you have sent to remove someone else's sovereignty must therefore be under orders to occupy the sovereign square for a minimum of 24hrs for each level of sovereignty that the square possesses at the time you confirm your initiation of the removal process.  

For example, if you are removing sovereignty from a Sov 5 square, your army must occupy for a minimum period of 120 hours (5 days).  

You cannot partially remove sovereignty (eg try to take a Sov 5 quare down to a Sov 4).  It's all or nothing with sovereignty removal, and you must occupy the square for the duration, with the same army, and only on completion will sovereignty drop from its current level to "unclaimed".

We would, of course, highly recommend that you send the army to occupy for longer than the absolute minimum period, as the removal process will only start when you confirm your intention to remove sovereignty from the square, and it might take you a few seconds or minutes after your army arrives to actually initiate this process.  

If your intention is to subsequently then claim sovereignty for yourself, your army will need to remain on the square for you to initiate the establishment of your new claim (as per the usual sovereignty claiming process).

COSTS
You will need to pay, up front, the entire costs of removing the sovereignty.

The cost of removing sovereignty is:
  • [Research Points] = [10] x [the distance from the town that sent the removing army to the sovereign square] x [the number of hours it will take to remove the sovereignty]
  • [Gold] = [100] x [the distance from the town that sent the removing army to the sovereign square] x [the number of hours it will take to remove the sovereignty]
Example:
If you are removing sovereignty from a Sov 3 square that is located 15 squares west and 8 squares north of your town (a total distance of 17 squares), then:

10 x 17 Distance x 72 Hours = 12,240 Research Points
100 x 17 Distance x 72 Hours = 122,400 Gold

The Research Points and the Gold will immediately be debited from your army-owning-town's account when you confirm the sovereign removal, and are not refunded in the event you are unable to complete the removal process.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I INITIATE SOVEREIGNTY REMOVAL?
  1. The Sovereignty removal timer will immediately start.

You (as the remover) will be able to see this timer on your sovereignty page for the square

The player who currently owns the sovereignty will also be able to see this on their sovereignty page

2. Both you and the player who owns the sovereignty will receive an IGM and a notification that:

a) sovereignty removal has begun
    b) the location of the effected sovereign square
    c) the current level of sovereignty on the square
    d) the player and town that the army that is performing the removal belongs to
    e) the player and town to whom the sovereignty currently belongs 
    f) the server timestamp for when sovereignty removal will complete

3. If either you or the player who currently owns the square is in an alliance, your respective alliance chats will receive a copy of the notification
HOW DO I THEN INITIATE MY OWN, NEW CLAIM?
Once sovereignty has been removed, you can then claim your own sovereignty - using the same army if you wish - by clicking on the army on the square and choosing "Claim Sovereignty".  

The process of claiming sovereignty remains unchanged.

However, you will explicitly need to instruct your army to establish a new claim once sovereignty has been removed from the square.

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 03 Mar 2015 at 22:45
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 22:14
Glad to see that a mechanism of challenging sovereignty is now possible.

Sounds expensive!
Morgweneth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morgweneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 22:17
You said friendly Sov, but what of Neutral Sov
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 22:20
Neutral is hostile, for conflict resolution purposes.  Good to have this back, thanks Devs.  
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 23:49
I'm very happy to see this return and I do like the way it's been done (with new research and timers). Thanks much!
Bonfyr Verboo
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 00:09
A very effective way to cripple food sov and force buildings to level down.
Lwyllyn View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwyllyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 05:02
A dangerous thing you have done... You gave me the ability to foment unrest at the push of a button! Nuke
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 09:45
I'm liking the use of obscure verbs - following the pattern of the existing research names.

Just tickling the game mechanic in me: I'd be interested in any analysis on applications of this as an effective means to hampering an enemy. Depending on the town's dependence on Sovereignty, it still looks weak compared to siege alone. It looks more like an annoyance or 'intimidation' in most cases. Is this intended as a mechanic that is most effective in a crowded environment, where towns must exist within 3 tiles of each other?
Morgweneth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morgweneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 01:18
Is there a problem with Remove Sovereignty, I am trying to remove a level one close to one of my Cities, my troops are on occupy for over 24h, the research has been done, the City has plenty of gold and research and the sov level on the Sq is not increasing ( the owner is dormant).
Yet when I click Remove Sovereignty a small box just pops up saying :-

Unable to Repeat Request
/Town/RemoveSovereignty

And no other explanation

Edited by Morgweneth - 23 Apr 2015 at 01:29
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 19:56
Originally posted by Morgweneth Morgweneth wrote:

Is there a problem with Remove Sovereignty, I am trying to remove a level one close to one of my Cities, my troops are on occupy for over 24h, the research has been done, the City has plenty of gold and research and the sov level on the Sq is not increasing ( the owner is dormant).
Yet when I click Remove Sovereignty a small box just pops up saying :-

Unable to Repeat Request
/Town/RemoveSovereignty

And no other explanation
Should be resolved
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic