Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Do You Think of the 10 Square Rule?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is your policy on allowing people to settle/move nearby you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.00%]
5 [10.00%]
31 [62.00%]
8 [16.00%]
4 [8.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Endrok View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Endrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 15:42
I voted for option 3: If you ask nicely before settling/moving close I'll let you.
But only because it was the closest. There is no guarantee that just because you asked nicely that 'I'll let you' .... but the chances are pretty good that I would!  It really depends on the square and any valuable resources close by.

My views on settlement are on my profile so there shouldn't be any shocks
1 - 10 squares:   Settlement will be NOT permitted unless by prior agreement. Within 5 squares approval is highly unlikely!

10 squares isn't usually going to be a problem, but 5 squares is almost always going to be a no.  
Just not enough room for both cities to claim sov.

Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 16:02
I agree with Endrok: it's a balanced view.

There's a related situation I find interesting: when a new settlement appears within your closely-guarded 5-square area. There are ways a mature town can help avoid it, BUT once it has happened, and the player is growing, what would you do?

I've tended towards this approach:
1. Say hello, tell them I'm a nice neighbour and offer help with resources.
2. Claim all the sovereign territory that I think I'll definitely need, then drop them a note to say they're quite unlucky to have spawned next to a large city, and they might want to move it somewhere better (and starting plots are usually not much good anyway).

This is entirely polite and relatively non-aggressive, but I do worry that such players might opt to leave the game rather than continue.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 16:22
That doesn't seem to be "relatively non-aggressive". I seem to recall a similar situation sparking a war. If you don't like new players arriving near you, I suggest moving out of the new player ring, or claiming all your sov in advance. Claiming in reaction to a new arrival puts armies in motion, and the mail makes it very clear that you want them gone. Nothing polite about that, really, regardless of how you frame it.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 16:25
Perhaps the other situation involved a more established player who had emotionally invested in the town, and had joined an alliance. My situation involved someone at population below 10.

Edit: a situation where they can just start again without significant loss.

Edited by Albatross - 25 Feb 2015 at 16:26
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 19:28
I concur that the war situation was different. However, I think a new player might be intimidated by a big player sending encampments near their city, claiming the land, and suggesting they move.
Dragonwort View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonwort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 01:41
I've had experience with a similar situation....twice the long Exodus times to Broken Lands have afforded a newer player the opportunity settle what would be within the 10 square area of an exodus city after landing.

They were there first and had legal claim but both times I was able to arbitrate between the exodus city player and the new settler. I may have just been lucky to find really nice new settlers but both times the settlers let me find them a better spot (experience counts. . lol..), help them with resources to their next pop level; they then settled in the new spot, and let the original city be razed...(after the exodus landed, of course). I also offered compensation...crafted,resource, and/or monetary which both refused. This might also work in the situation mentioned here. It's a bit of work but well worth it to make two players happy.Big smile Dragonwort
Just another wrench in the works..
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:51
I expect we'll be seeing more of this in practice, in the long-term future:

It will be interesting to see how this works out strategically and tactically, and if it opens up more options in the game.
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 15:50
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

I expect we'll be seeing more of this in practice, in the long-term future:

It will be interesting to see how this works out strategically and tactically, and if it opens up more options in the game.

...placing towns as near as 3 squares without asking permission (as the alliance profile above states) is completely NONSENSE, given the so far results of this poll!

Just ask, maybe haggle a bit, offer to not touch the sov inbetween, etc... and you will most likely be able to settle there PLUS have a friendly neighbour.

If Anyone, just to proof a principle, pops up right next to me, I'll ask him to move on, also to proof a principle... even on places I would have let him settle if he had asked!
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 19:01
You're more generous than I am, Hora. Were someone to pop up as near as 3 squares to me without asking, I'd likely straight up siege without warning. If I'm feeling kind I'l reimburse them for the settlers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic