FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - INFANTRY & CRAFTING CHANGES NOW LIVE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:58
Given the pretty significant changes to crafting item statistics, I wonder if the developers might be willing to give a one-time reset to the ability to specialize crafting buildings.  Specifically, the crafted items that were deemed to have "trivial" inputs are now relatively disadvantaged compared to the other crafted items, since their stats were not increased.  People might choose therefore to switch from making those items to making something else.  However, if they have a specialized crafting building, they would be unable to do that without tearing their existing crafting building now.

I suggest the developers consider a specialization "amnesty":  simply reset all existing crafting buildings to non-specialized when this change goes into effect.  People who wish to continue with their previous specialization can just reset it again.  People who wish to be unspecialized or to change the specialization could change it.

This would be somewhat disruptive to people who have chosen specializations, but the time required to "re-up" the specialization seems like it would be minimal.

What do people think of this? And more importantly, would the developers be open to it?
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordigui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 22:17
Well, I'd like to add about the unfair treatment other units receive compared to infantry. The best (crafted) weapons so far are swords, and can only be brought by infantry commanders. If the bonuses double, the most benefited units are infantry. In addition, I cannot understand why knight (commanders) cannot use swords, I repeat myself once more than I have never never seen a knight without asword, exccept here ...
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

Well, I'd like to add about the unfair treatment other units receive compared to infantry. The best (crafted) weapons so far are swords, and can only be brought by infantry commanders. If the bonuses double, the most benefited units are infantry. In addition, I cannot understand why knight (commanders) cannot use swords, I repeat myself once more than I have never never seen a knight without asword, exccept here ...

Made worst by the fact that all the initial racial weapons are swords.  Each race has a preferred unit but only the dwarves' preferred unit can wield their racial weapon.  Why isn't the racial weapon based on a race's preferred unit?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 22:46
Unfair? They made tiny adjustments to the infantry stats and terrain modifiers. If you had a complaint about altering game balance, it should have been with the build time changes on kobolds, fangs, and sentinels. Fangs in particular became nearly as powerful as stalwarts, and less expensive to build Attack. This update is minor compared to that one.

The best crafted item by stats alone is arguably the Silversteel Sword. It's also an irrelevant item because it requires Fire Salts--which make it too expensive--and because it is an attack item, and thus suffers a 90% destruction rate in the field. Even as a commander weapon the Silversteel Sword is largely useless because it only affects Heroism, which isn't a factor in battles of any meaningful size. It is basically a shiny toy for hunting.

The genuinely powerful crafted items are the ones used in city defense to counter common attacks (cavalry, infantry, bows, in that order). Also useful are terrain armors matched to the city tile. These weapons are predominantly used by defending spear and bow units, and can be recycled endlessly. There is a reason why pikes, reinforced leather, and plains weaponry are all highly sought after.

Speaking of which, I am stunned that Reinforced Leather Armor isn't getting an upgrade. I would wager it is the most popular defensive item in the entire game. If you are going to keep the stats the same, then I strongly suggest introducing a variant that uses Iceheart like the chain and plate, and has the new full strength bonus. Cavalry defense for spears is probably the most valuable asset for city protection.

Actually, why not consider this proposal? Create a new Extra (Type) (Item) weaponry with the 5x bonus, for each defensive item that isn't getting updated. The construction of the new Extra item takes the old "common" item type plus a rare material. For example, Extra Reinforced Leather Armor would require one suit of Reinforced Leather and one Iceheart. That gives people a chance to upgrade legacy items to full strength, while increasing the difficulty by requiring rare materials.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 22:53
Originally posted by Count Rupert Count Rupert wrote:

Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

Made worst by the fact that all the initial racial weapons are swords.  Each race has a preferred unit but only the dwarves' preferred unit can wield their racial weapon.  Why isn't the racial weapon based on a race's preferred unit?

This has also struck me as silly. Elves get light bows, elves and orcs get light armor, dwarves get a decent axe plus a war axe bonus, but humans get squat. Really, it should be that each race gets an item with stats matching their racial sword, but the item is matched to their elite unit. Elf bow, Orc spear, Human spear, Dwarf axe. To match the light armor and war axe bonus, humans should get an extra +3% or +5% on the heavy warhorse.
Leinad__ View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leinad__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:07
 I m so happy about this news to crafted items! now a full equipped army will definitely make the difference in war/tourneys.... !! Clap

About dwarves buff, as elf, i m kind of disappointed since we were kings of mountains now we have to share our picks with those smelly-dwarfy men Cry
beside jokes, i really hope this new buff will not make them OP.... we still have to remember dwarves were (and are!) the best race to fight in any forest/building, with really high %...now they will be able to attack mountains as well (and hills!) with a really good bonus. Let's test this, it's hard to say before the update goes live...anyway it goes, well done admins!
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:27
Definitly interesting...  and with cities swarming with dwarven infantry I'll be the last to complain about those changes LOL

I guess it is the solution going most along roleplay, as dwarves definitly are known as slow and strong infantry, thus speeding them up by some trickery would look ... well ... silly. Finally I see myself coming out of the woods again... the lonely mountain is calling... dwarves are returning home!
dave83 View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:50
Hmm, having an orc alt, i cant say im happy with this new update at all.  

everybody keeps saying that the orcs have the advantage against cavalry, but the strength of that bonus is still woeful compared to the attack strength of the other races T2 units. 

for example:  human cavalry have a 2/1 advantage over the orc T2 spear in attack vs defence. 3/1 maybe 4/1 in plains.

the elven trueshot has a 3/1 bonus over the orc guardsmen in any terrain, attack or defence. which imo is a shocking statistic. a 4/1 advantage in mountainous terrain. i lose sleep at night thinking about my hordes being hit by an elven army. the bow def on spears is just ridiculous.  

before, the dwarven Stalwart already had a 2/1 attack bonus against the orc guardsmen in any terrain. now in forests or buildings that advantage is going to become 3/1 in favour of the dwarves. 

can anyone pls tell me what the benefit to being an orc is anymore? 

i only felt safe placing my spears on forested or buildings squares before this update. now the spear has no domain at all.  people will say. . ahh well you can simply make more kobolds to even the odds. and its true, i could make 1,000,000 kobolds in the time it would take say an elf, to build 200,000 sentinals. but on the battlefield, when it comes to the crunch, im still going to lose. every single time!  

A shiny statue is cool and all, but tbh i would prefer to be able to give my armies a fighting chance on the field. right now and after this update, the orc guardsmen will have 50% less effectiveness than every other racial T2 unit. Att vs Def. and that's just not good enough. 

The devs have at least tried to shake the trueshot off the mountains by giving swords a 15% bonus to mountainous attack. but the trueshot with his 30% def bonus is still going to laugh at the little dorfs when they try. the only race i can truly see this update effecting is the orcs. 

and it feels unfair.          
Dave83/Deimo
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:02
The featured Orc unit is kobolds, not clan guardsmen. They have far superior infantry defense per minute. But really, bows (not spears) are meant to defend against infantry and bows. And everything in Illyriad is skewed towards attack by about a 2:1 ratio, so the kill ratios are hardly surprising. If defenders weren't inherently weaker, then it would be impossible to win tournament squares and break sieges.
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 17:01
It's no secret that Dwarves have been the weakest race for some time.  The Dwarves in SIN are told almost daily they are inferior :P  Now, I guess I have to stop making fun of them....

I think the update brings them up to an equal footing with the other races.  Each race brings something to the table through the team dynamic.  Deimo brings up some good points.  However, I never see it through the eyes of a single player.  I always view things collective through the eyes of a team.  Alliances should leverage the racial strengths and try to find synergies with them during war.  

If an orc is defending alone with only spears, then you need to fire your military general.  No ONE RACE ALONE can do it all.  Each race has advantages and disadvantages.  Learn to work them together as a team and you will have a better outlook.

Stukahh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic