FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - INFANTRY & CRAFTING CHANGES NOW LIVE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22FEB15 - INFANTRY & CRAFTING CHANGES NOW LIVE
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:31
CRAFTY, TRICKSY HOBBITSES
EFFECTIVE NOW - WENT LIVE ON SUNDAY 01MAR AT 1800 SERVER TIME
CRAFTED ITEMS EFFECTIVENESS INCREASE
Most crafted items will have their:
  • positive attributes increased by 5-fold, and their 
  • negative penalties doubled
This adjustment will not apply to all crafted items.

The following is a list of crafted items that will not have their values changed and will remain as they are - for now at least:
  1. All mounts / horses
  2. All non-mount Move Speed item increase values (ie other values might change on an item, but not the ones that increase speed. Penalties that decrease Move Speed will be doubled)
  3. Dwarven Battle Axe
  4. Elven Sword
  5. Orcish Sword
  6. Traditional Sword
  7. Light Bow
  8. War Bow
  9. War Spear
  10. Heavy Leather
  11. Reinforced Leather
  12. Double Weave Chainmail
  13. Heavy Chain Armour
  14. Vanguard's Chainmail
  15. Chain-Edged Platemail
  16. Heavy Platemail
  17. Thickened Platemail
  18. Vanguard's Platemail
The list above (items 3 through 18) is, for the eagle-eyed, essentially all those items that do not currently require a non-trivial gathered/harvested item to manufacture; and their values will not change in 7 Days' time. 

Example 1: Battle Spear
Currently: 
(-8% CavDef, -8% SprDef, -8% BowDef, +16% SwoDef)

Change to: 
(-16% CavDef, -16% SprDef, -16% BowDef, +48% SwoDef)

Example 2: Extra Heavy Armour
Currently: 
(-4% Atk, +20% CavDef, +20% SprDef, +20% BowDef, +20% SwoDef, -20% Spd)

Change to: 
(-8% Atk, +100% CavDef, +100% SprDef, +100% BowDef, +100% SwoDef, -40% Spd)
 (Note, speed penalties are doubled, it's speed increase bonuses that are remaining the same)

Example 3: Light Leather
Currently:
(-2% Atk, -2% CavDef, -2% SprDef, -2% BowDef, -2% SwoDef, +10% Spd, +2% Elf, +6% Orc)

Change To:
(-4% Atk, -4% CavDef, -4% SprDef, -4% BowDef, -4% SwoDef, +10% Spd, +10% Elf, +30% Orc)
 (Note, speed increase bonus remains the same)

This may not be a comprehensive list of changes.  We are considering introducing some further crafting components to some existing crafted weapons and armour - and will keep you posted once any decisions are made.

However, the base value change outlined above will go went into effect on Sunday 01MAR at 1800 Server Time and will immediately effect all units carrying equipped items even if they were dispatched on their missions before this time.

It may take a few minutes and/or a refresh for the crafted item stats popups to reflect these changes.

CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?
TERRAIN MODIFIERS
We've never actually published the terrain modifiers - ie "what bonuses and penalties get applied to different unit types depending on the terrain that they're either attacking or defending".  

However, we're well aware that a bunch of people have worked these out through testing and trial/error, and have published them (or at least fairly close approximations of them).  So it makes sense - especially since we are, right now, changing them - to publish the figures.

The CURRENT terrain modifiers are:

ATTACKING %AGE MODIFIER
Terrain TypeCavalrySpearsInfantryRanged
Buildings-5020305
Large Forest-15525-20
Large Hill-150010
Large Mountain-300-1515
Plains30-1500
Small Forest-101030-10
Small Hill0000
Small Mountain-200-1010

DEFENDING %AGE MODIFIER
Buildings-45253015
Large Forest-15525-20
Large Hill-1010015
Large Mountain-3020030
Plains25-1500
Small Forest-101030-10
Small Hill0555
Small Mountain-1515015

OORAH
- CHANGES TO GLOBAL INFANTRY EFFECTIVENESS

And, having published them, we're now changing them.  

The reason for this change is one that you, the players, make pretty clear in your active unit stats.

The percentage of units of each main type held by players in armies and in the unit pool:
  • Cavalry 28.9%
  • Spears 28.9%
  • Ranged 26.2%
  • Infantry 16.0%
We think this shows that "the market has spoken", and that Infantry should receive, across the board, a substantial buff to their effectiveness in a specific area - the notoriously "difficult" mountainous terrain.

The NEW terrain modifiers, to go live on Sunday 01MAR at 1800 Server Time, with changes highlighted in bold, are NOW LIVE:

ATTACKING %AGE MODIFIER
Buildings-5020405
Large Forest-15530-20
Large Hill-1501010
Large Mountain-3001515
Plains30-1500
Small Forest-101030-10
Small Hill0000
Small Mountain-200510

DEFENDING %AGE MODIFIER
Buildings-45253015
Large Forest-15525-20
Large Hill-1010515
Large Mountain-3020530
Plains25-1500
Small Forest-101030-10
Small Hill0555
Small Mountain-1515515

As stated, this change significantly improves Infantry effectiveness in mountainous terrain, especially in attack, across the board (all races).

When the change goes live on Sunday 01MAR at 1800 Server Time, this will apply to all combats occurring on after that time, regardless of when the combats were set in motion.  This change is now live and will apply to all combats that occur from now on, regardless of when the units were set on their way.

DON'T TELL THE ELF
- DWARVEN INFANTRY STATS BOOST

Humans have the best Cavalry, Elves the best bowmen, Orcs the best spears, but Dwarves have been slightly neglected on the infantry front (as well as infantry more generally).

Whilst the buff to terrain effectiveness made above benefits Dwarves the most as the percentage increase in these terrains is applied on top of their base attack and defense numbers, we're also changing two key attack numbers slightly for the Dwarven Infantry.
  • Dwarven Axmen Attack value will move from 27 ATK  to 29 ATK
  • Dwarven Stalwart Attack value will move from 42 ATK to 45 ATK
Combined with the terrain modifier stats buff, we believe this sets Dwarven Infantry "head and shoulders" (forgive me!) above the rest.

This change will also occur on Sunday 01MAR at 1800 Server Time. This change is now live; however you may need to refresh your browser in order to see the new stats for these units on the unit Popup.

EDIT (SC): Updated with live status.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 01 Mar 2015 at 18:13
John Louis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Louis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:48
The Elves have been informed, and we are not amused!

However, we continue to await developments before passing judgement.

Orin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:51
If the item is already crafted does the effect still apply
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:51
"The list above (items 3 through 18) is, for the eagle-eyed, essentially all those items that do not currently require a gathered/harvested item to manufacture; and their values will not change in 7 Days' time."

Not sure I understand this statement.  All the items indicated require a gathered/harvested item to manufacture.  They all require either minerals, hides or herbs to make which require gathering or harvesting to obtain. 
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gossip Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:53
Originally posted by Count Rupert Count Rupert wrote:

"The list above (items 3 through 18) is, for the eagle-eyed, essentially all those items that do not currently require a gathered/harvested item to manufacture; and their values will not change in 7 Days' time."

Not sure I understand this statement.  All the items indicated require a gathered/harvested item to manufacture.  They all require either minerals, hides or herbs to make which require gathering or harvesting to obtain. 

Exactly my point
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
IbnSenna View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IbnSenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 17:54
Well, at first sight i.e. before any sound computing and thinking, I feel cheated:
as a Human, I developed cav, and decided on complementary range for hills and mountains.

We think this shows that "the market has spoken", and that Infantry should receive, across the board, a substantial buff to their effectiveness in a specific area - the notoriously "difficult" mountainous terrain.
My ranking in global attack shows this strategy could work to some extent…

When there's a market, there's a market authority, deemed to be bribed only by the most powerful party independant in order to allow fair conditions…

Changing market rules at a week's notice in a game that is asking more than 52 weeks to begin having a real stance isn't very wise, in my opinion…

Any obejction, input about this, I'll listen to with open mind…
(Anyway, grats and best birthday wishes to you Illyriad folks)

IbnSenna, aka IbnRushd

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 18:06
Originally posted by Count Rupert Count Rupert wrote:

Apologies, I have added the words "non-trivial" to the description.  There's a difference between generic "Hides" vs "Puma Fur", and that's what I was trying to get at.

Regards,

SC
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:05
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Example 1: Battle Spear
Currently: 
(-8% CavDef, -8% SprDef, -8% BowDef, +16% SwoDef)

Change to: 
(-16% CavDef, -16% SprDef, -16% BowDef, +48% SwoDef)

Shouldn't this be +80% SwoDef?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:27
Absolutely excellent! The crafting update was badly needed to make it more viable. I very much look forward to the spike in demand. Prices should also rise sharply for miners, herb collectors, and hunters. Overall a wonderful announcement.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:31
I think the developers have misinterpreted the "voice of the market" here.  The reason that there are more cavalry in relation to infantry is that three of the four races have decent cavalry.  Only dwarves are disincentivised to build cavalry.  And dwarves are the second least-represented race.  Is it any surprise that their "specialty" troop has lower representation? No.

So fewer dwarves = less infantry.

Now, it could be argued that fewer people play dwarf because infantry is relatively underpowered.  I tend to disagree and say that fewer people are motivated to play dwarf because their cavalry sucks.  (This is a somewhat humano-centric viewpoint perhaps.)

Certainly these changes will make mountain-dwelling a more convenient option for dwarves, so some people might enjoy that for the role-playing benefits.

I don't necessarily disagree with the change; it might produce some interesting dynamics.  But to claim that the change is being made because "the market" has spoken is to my mind a fairly distorted interpretation of the data.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic