illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2015's "Leap Second" & Illy's Game Clock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015's "Leap Second" & Illy's Game Clock
    Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 14:45
Early apologies if I put this in the wrong section. That being said, I read recently that due to the slight slowing down of the rotation of the earth by hundredths of seconds, every once in a while, the timekeepers of the world have to throw in a "leap second" to keep atomic clocks on pace. Up until recently, this has not been much of an issue, however, with the dawn of the technology age, the last one of these was rather disruptive, and now people are saying that the one that will occur this year, on June 30, will be even more so.

I've read that at midnight on June 30th, the clock will tick up to 11:59:60 before turning to 0:00:00.

I'm wondering: 1) have the devs addressed this? 2) If so, what's the game plan? Will our clock add the extra second? 3) how could this one-second hiccup potentially disrupt gameplay?

Thanks!

GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:11
No this won't cause a problem, server events are "only forward" and in order and the client clock is now continuously auto-correcting against the server clock. (Due to various issues we've had over the years with daylight savings changing differently in different areas, and the number of people that have incorrect clocks, or bad time keeping clocks)
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 20:40
Cool, thanks TC! Hopefully the rest of the cyberworld is as prepared as you are. ;-)

Marty View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 12:47
Don't waste it!!

http://spendyourleapsecondhere.com/   

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 05:21
What I want to know is, what do the developers intend to do about the slowing of the rotation of the earth?  In the long run, if it keeps slowing down, then there could be more significant problems.  Possibly before the sun goes supernova.

What's the plan, Stan?
Granlik View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 09:30
You now have got Rikoo worried. He's on the balcony with TWO cups of coffee and looking up instead of down at us.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 14:55
I originally posted it because I had read an article about how an extra second was going to have to be added to the standard time-keeping clocks, and it made me think of the server clock. I wasn't worried that the sky was falling -- I just wasn't sure if the clock would actually tick to 11:59:60, and if it did and something was sent out on that extra second, would it contribute to some weirdness? Just seemed like a germane question at the time.

Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 21:25
"Only Forward"
Michael Marshall Smith
1995 Harper Collins

If you only ever read one SF book, let this be it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic