FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

27NOV14 - Player and Town Growth Graphs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27NOV14 - Player and Town Growth Graphs
    Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 16:10
While working on a larger feature, we thought we'd share a new item that has emerged from testing and works quite well in its own right; this is from the same piece that the real-time combat feed came from (which is now working again).

There are now two types of hourly growth graphs available to you.

Town growth

Private to the player who owns the town (or sitter) is the resource growth graph which shows the amount of resources you have stored on an hour-by-hour basis and the production rates that is happening:

Hopefully this will have the additional benefit of providing clarity as to why buildings are de-levelled when this happens.

All the resource types are a pairing of storage and production, except population which is a pairing of population and tax rate.

Player Growth

Viewable to all players and available from the player profile is the player growth graph. This shows a trio that is made up of the player's population, town count and sovereignty held (in the top section) and the 8 scores that are used on the rankings (in the lower section):

This data has always been publicly available; but the trending has generally only been available to the makers of third party tools. With the demise of Illytools we decided to make these trends available to the wider playerbase (which also provides some of the ability requested by the PIG group)

Additionally:

• Weirdly-formatted scout reports have been fixed
  • Production schedule numbers have improved spacing so large orders no longer run together
  • The data extract files refresh has been fixed. The issue was caused by the CDN being overly optimistic in its caching. We have now fixed the https headers which should resolve this - however it may take a little while for the old files to flush out of the CDN edge nodes. Meanwhile to force a fresh file pull you can add a refresh query string to the end of the filename and pull a file that will update on refreshes
      e.g. http://data.illyriad.co.uk/datafile_worldmap.txt
        -> http://data.illyriad.co.uk/datafile_worldmap.txt?refresh 

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Eons View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 16:14
Congratulations GM Team!!! These new features will surely be very useful for new and veteran players alike!!!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!
invictusa View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invictusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 20:54
Awesome!  Would be even sweeter with a slider bar or other method of adjustment for expanse of time included in the graphs.
...and miles to go before I sleep.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 21:41
Nice work. I know exactly what this is... I started making one that looked forwards rather than back.

Why didn't I finish it?
  1. It needed a lot of information, from lots of in-game pages, so would be fairly incomplete until all those places are visited.
  2. Lots of event types could surprise it, and make the data worthless.
  3. It needed a lot of background data (e.g. resources consumed by sovereignty buildings, generated by production), and it seemed too much to do.
  4. Once a city is established and balanced, it's irrelevant anyway.
  5. I think it would have caused more disasters than it would have helped.
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 23:29
Added a Max storage red line for the basic resources... in case of another clay incident

Edited by GM ThunderCat - 27 Nov 2014 at 23:32
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 23:45
Great information!  Gives me a reason to look at some of the areas I might neglect.  Thank you!
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 02:01
Overall it's a cool feature.

The fancy graphs do load quite slowly in iPad 4 Chrome. Maybe the data doesn't need to be hourly? Or only the last 24h needs to be hourly?

Also, isn't this going to make it a heck of a lot harder for thieves and instant blights? It will be quite obvious what nearby players have a sudden score spike that coincides with when you got hit. On a lesser note, doesn't this also make more visible which players are getting hit with attacks, since you can see their defense score rise, and then suddenly plateau? It does lift the fog of war somewhat (acknowledging that people developed external tools precisely to lift the fog of war).
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 04:07
Like it
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 04:30

Great feature! I have seen player-generated plots similar to some of these, but it is really nice to have it as part of the game.

Three suggestions which I think would make it even better:

1. It would be nice to have a 'total change' value listed. The graphs are hard to read when they don't change much. e.g. "total change: +112 pop" would be nice to have in text. Alternatively ( or also) , a listing of 'starting value' and 'ending value' would be nice.

2. For 'number of towns'... 2 weeks is a little too short of a time-span for this to make sense. Except possibly for the first two weeks, usually there will be no change or at most a change of 1 town. Perhaps 6 months or a year for the interval instead?

3. If it is not too hard (and this could combine with suggestion one) , could the default plot be zoomed in to the actual values which occurred? I know for a fact my research score went up during those 2 weeks, but the scale goes from 8.5 million to 11 million. It makes it so that my score will look flat even if I researched as much as possible in that short time period.    It would be much more fun to see what actually happened graphically rather than seeing a flat line no matter what.

One other note. I believe the 'sov' plot is broken. I definitely did not go from zero sov to 200 sov in a straight line during those 2 weeks xD
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:50
Just the sort of tools that could be used, together with a dataset, to more easily identify and analyse unexpected changes in resources such as gold and prestige.
It's great, but am I the only one who thinks like this?

Edited by Dungshoveleux - 28 Nov 2014 at 10:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic