FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

14NOV14 - Real Money Sales (RMT)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14NOV14 - Real Money Sales (RMT)
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 23:10
Hi everyone,

It appears that Illyriad has "come of age" and is now a proper big-time MMO!  We kind wish we weren't tbh, but the evidence is irrefutable:  not only do we have exploiting gold farmers but now we've banned a player for RMT.

RMT means "Real Money Trade/Transaction".  This means that players are offering ingame items (eg crafted items, Gold etc) directly to players in return for players' real money.  If you've ever run into WoW gold on ebay (or similar) - that's RMT.

RMTing is super illegal in Illyriad, as in every other MMO.  Players who RMT are essentially selling our Intellectual Property (digital horses, swords etc) for their own (real world money) profit.

In Illyriad, RMT is already covered entirely by the existing Terms of Service under the following rules:

"Section 2: Licence to Use Website...
   You must not:...
       2. sell, rent or sub-license material from the website;
       4. reproduce, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on our website for a commercial purpose;"

and 

"Section 4: Acceptable Use...
    You must not use our website for any purposes related to marketing without our express written consent."

tldr
It's pretty simple!

To the sellers: Don't ever ask other players to give you RL money for Illyriad things, be they horses, swords, cities, accounts or anything else.  You will be permabanned,

To the buyers: Don't ever use RL money to buy anything from a player.  You will also be permabanned.

GM Rikoo

Edited by GM Rikoo - 26 Nov 2014 at 18:49
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Glin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 03:23
What if someone sends us an IGM that two other parties have had such a transaction? Will we ( the non-participating but have knowledge of it type of member) --also be permabanned?

How safe are our IGMs and communications?
How do we gray the line between actively scouting other gamers ethics while involved in in-game communications versus deciding Devs should be made aware? 

The person who knew the person who heard about the person that committed the violation.....lol. Maybe at some point we should have it laid out to all players just where their responsibilities lie.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 04:58
Good question. I'd be interested in reading a response to that.

Edited by abstractdream - 15 Nov 2014 at 04:59
Bonfyr Verboo
Belegar Ironhammer View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belegar Ironhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 05:12
Was this what got Arcticc55 banned? He wanted me to buy prestige for him several times and even had a permanent offer on his profile, but I never bought any.

In any case, I assumed that the prestige scrolls would help alleviate this problem since Arctic could just buy a prestige scroll. I suppose he still tried to do it this way. 
Marty View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 05:55
From the Account sitters page in - game
  • Sitters are permitted buy prestige on your behalf using their own payment credentials (which will be kept secret from you)
If I understand correctly, the banning is relating to sending real cash direct to a person (paypal?) rather than nvesting as prestige into their game account.

A few people have/had offers to buy prestige advertised that I have seen - perfectly legit if done in-game, isn't it?
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 06:34
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

From the Account sitters page in - game
  • Sitters are permitted buy prestige on your behalf using their own payment credentials (which will be kept secret from you)
If I understand correctly, the banning is relating to sending real cash direct to a person (paypal?) rather than nvesting as prestige into their game account.

A few people have/had offers to buy prestige advertised that I have seen - perfectly legit if done in-game, isn't it?

Someone was asking in gc if anybody wanted to trade gold for prestige. I wanted to take them up on their offer, but I waited till I asked a GM, I think it was Stormcrow, and he said it was legal to trade gold for prestige. This was quite awhile back, before prestige became a tradeable commodity.

Edited by Epidemic - 15 Nov 2014 at 07:00
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 08:14
In the case of someone buying Prestige with gold, the "real" money goes to the game. If someone wants to buy a SuperDuper Set of Armor and pay someone $25 for it via paypal, the money doesn't stay in-game, and someone other than the devs is profiting off of the game.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 20:10
Right, just wanna' make sure we're all clear on how this works.

Up until recently, (and still now if people want to use this method) here is how a prestige "trade" might occur:

1) Player A asks player B to become a sitter. Player B accepts.

2) Player B buys prestige on the account he is sitting. (Player A's account.)

3) Player B stops sitting or

4) Player B continues sitting, either way

5) Player A sees the prestige in his account, goes "YAY", and sends player B the gold/etc.

This has been allowed for a while, but led to players giving sitting privs to "untrustworthy" people, or (even worse) would encourage players to swap logins and passwords, which is not only not allowed by the rules, but led to players having their accounts completely stripped.

This need to allow players to "gift" prestige is one of the reasons we wanted to make scrolls. Scrolls allow the players who have prestige to give it to players who do not have it, safely and securely (for the most part.) 

So, if you have seen players advertising "I will give you gold for prestige" -- that is not now and never was against the rules. The players we have caught for RMT were NOT advertising that.... those players were privately saying "If you give me real life money, I will give you *list of in-game goods*." Not only does this take the money away from us, but leads to players who willingly give their credit card numbers over to strangers. This is why RMT is against the rules in almost MMO you will find.

Of course, not all MMO developers enforce a ban on RMT, but we do.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic