FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12NOV14 - Gold Exploit Closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:06
Wow -- amazing! Great sleuth work on investigating and finding the culprits/cheaters! Also, good stuff from Rikoo on laying out the whole case. To me, this actually makes for a very interesting read!

I don't think that this is a "negative PR" story for the game -- quite the opposite. I would encourage the devs to send the link to this forum post to the MMO News sources online. I think they'd cover it, and it could bring in some new players.

The Duke View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by Zarhunt Zarhunt wrote:

I know I have criticised the devs a fair bit lately but I would like to thank and applaud them for posting a clear explanation of their judicial findings and subsequent actions. I truly hope it spreads.
Couldnt have said this any better, hats off to our dev team and thanks for monitoring the game to make it an even playing field for one and all
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."
Osu View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 15:34
Yes - well done devs - keep up the good work.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 17:34
I tend to prod the outer limits of parameters, mainly to help close up any exploits that other alliances might be using, to upset the balance of the game.

So, a note to any exploiters out there: every action in this game is logged, and the devs are good at forensics (you have to be, if you maintain a persistent game :o)
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 20:51
Wow! Glad to hear cheating doesn't pay off. 
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 22:15
Originally posted by SimplyDivine SimplyDivine wrote:

My question is: how will the Trade rankings be impacted as a result of the perma-bans of those 9 players involved? Will their rankings be allowed to stand as a result of their misdeeds?
That's a good point, and I agree that those permabanned should have their scores zeroed.

Regards,

SC

EDIT: Done, for trade score.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 12 Nov 2014 at 22:27
Bimoda View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 22:24
It has always struck me as unbelievable that a person could be smart enough to figure out an exploit like that AND dumb enough to over use it in a way that would be so blatant.  I mean really? 99,000,000%?    If they hadn't been that greedy, it is something that likely would never have gotten caught.  Don't get me wrong, cheating like that to any degree is wrong, but I just can't understand the thinking.
Bimoda - Dragon Fairy: Illyria Fairy Nation [FAIRY]
Bimoda View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 22:27
Was the other exploit where cities were getting captured in a matter of hours with virtually 0 pop loss done the same way? By a user sending a call to the server that basically made it think the city was ready to capture/raze?
Bimoda - Dragon Fairy: Illyria Fairy Nation [FAIRY]
Titanicbuff View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 01:48
So- for those exploited whats going to happen?
Veneke View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 02:33
Originally posted by Bimoda Bimoda wrote:

It has always struck me as unbelievable that a person could be smart enough to figure out an exploit like that AND dumb enough to over use it in a way that would be so blatant.  I mean really? 99,000,000%?    If they hadn't been that greedy, it is something that likely would never have gotten caught.  Don't get me wrong, cheating like that to any degree is wrong, but I just can't understand the thinking.

It's possible, I suppose, that this was intentional. That large a percentage couldn't be missed if the devs were monitoring it. So running that high gold/day exploit (it's a hack more than an exploit really, if I read the OP right) would all but guarantee a dev response. At that point, according to the information above anyway, they weren't shipping gold anywhere. So they could probably reasonably assume that their main accounts were safe. If they were caught then, then it would just be that newbie account which would be lost - no big deal.

Even if that's right though, and I've no idea if it is or not, their mistake was in running the same high percentage tax consistently (honestly, running it consistently was a bad idea too). As you said, if this had been thought through they would have lowered the percentage to avoid detection - and if they were smarter again that initial account would have been abandoned after it had tested the waters.

However, you've got to consider the fact that these lads almost certainly didn't know the gold balance. For all they knew, a hundred million extra a day wasn't a huge amount.

===

Fair play though to the devs for catching these folk, and the detailed analysis is much appreciated - and reassuring.
"May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic