Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RELEASE WEEK: Release 2.5 of 3
    Posted: 27 May 2010 at 20:57
We're not quite finished with the full Release 3, but thought we'd give you a 2.5 to keep you busy; the complete Release 3 will come out over the next few days.

RELEASE 2.5 of 3 - DAWN OF FACTIONS
NPCs (Non-Player Characters) are now seeded across the map.

They appear on NPC terrain squares (Dolmens, Barrows, Ruined Towers and the like), can be scouted and/or attacked, and respawn on the same schedule as the Resource squares.

There are 3 distinct types of Faction which you should become familiar with.

NATURE
Nature has, currently, 3 types of beast who will spawn on the map, in order of viciousness:
  • Wild Dogs

• Wolves

• Bears

The Nature Faction is considered non-sentient; these poor beasts will be perplexed when you show up on the square but will defend it with their lives.

Nature Faction units show up on the map as icons of Wild Dogs, Wolves & Bears.

MONSTER
The Monster Faction consists of organized monsters who will defend their territory at all costs.

There are currently 2 Monster Factions: Arakvar and Serpentkin.

• Arakvar
    The Arakvar are a rigid society of giant spiders, organized under their brood mothers.  They work in unison to provide a tight knit defence, and it has been known for a particularly large and enraged Arakvar Nest to counter-attack against a particularly dangerous foe.

• Serpentkin
    The origins of Serpentkin are lost to the Histories of Illyria.  Legend has two competing versions. 

First, that they were intentionally created by the foul magics of the demented mages of Yorak, who were subsequently destroyed by what they had unleashed.  Alternately, that they have simply always been here - deep underground - but that the scent of flesh has brought them to the surface.

Monster Factions can be very dangerous when in number.  Nests, hives and Lairs can be large, and the defenders are organized - including ranged units and commanders amongst them.

Arakvar & Serpentkin show on the map as icons of Spiders and Serpents respectively.

HUMANOID FACTIONS
Potentially the most dangerous of all the NPCs, there are 5 Factions.

• Crimson Dawn
    The most heartless, vicious and downright lethal of Mercenary Companies, Crimson Dawn are an elite fighting unit, fielding all unit types and strategies in the field.  Crimsom Dawn is led by a Legendary commander known only as Honehn.  His origins are unknown.  Crimson Dawn will give no mercy and no quarter - and expect none either.

• Treggar's Crows
    This company was founded nearly a century ago by Treggar the Exile - a cousin of Dwarven King Graythorn.  Treggar fell spectacularly out-of-favour with his King and ended up taking a large band of malcontents to found his own Empire in the far reaches of Illyria.  The exact location of their base is unknown, but they often roam through the Kingdom on their own missions and are generally a feared fighting force.

• Brotherhood of Kerala
    Elves who fall from grace are generally referred to as Dark Elves and exiled from the Elven heartlands.  Those who survive in the wild sometimes run into - and join - the Brotherhood of Kerala.  The Brotherhood is a mystic organisation who occasionally hire themselves out to the highest bidder in order to fund the expansion of the City of Temples.

• Bayne's Irregulars
    Bayne is a well known and truly gifted Mercenary commander.  The company he has formed consists of many of Illyriad's best trained soldiers, and he fields a full set of fighting troops.  Bayne's philosophy of combat is simply that only the best will do - and he has no qualms about taking in soldiers of any race to fight with his Irregulars - so long as they are experts in their field.

• Marauding Skullsplitters
    There's almost nothing Orcs like better than to kill things and eat them.  Orcs who become dissatisfied with the lack of leadership in their city will head out in the surrounding countryside and prey on passers-by for their own amusement, enrichment, and belly.
Factions appear on the map simply as Occupying (Neutral) armies.

FACTION SIZES

Nature and Monster factions give you an indication of their size when you click on them. 

Be aware, however, that size is not necessarily an indication of lethality.  For example (if we introduce them) "A few Enraged Mammoths" is likely to be a lot more difficult than "A few Wild Dogs".

Humanoid Factions must be scouted to ascertain their strength and composition.

In fact, we strongly recommend that you scout each and every NPC encounter before deciding whether to engage.

Faction size comes in 10... err... sizes Smile

• Few
  • Handful
  • Several
  • Pack
  • Many
  • Gathering
  • Horde
  • Throng
  • Host
  • Legion

The sizes range from less than 5 to more than 5000.

We hope you enjoy this new content, and you now have an outlet for your aggression that doesn't involve other players.

We have large plans for Factions in the future.

OTHER FIXES

• Sending zero goods to a square on the map would cause an error; this now correctly returns an informative message instead.

• Diplomatic units were proving far too stealthy as their visibility time was mistakingly in terms of seconds rather than minutes. This has now been resolved.

• The diplomatic and military recall buttons now have a timer to tell you how long you have left to rescind your orders.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 27 May 2010 at 23:00
Raritor View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:21
I think we are going to like these...

Thanks for the fun
Chicane View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:24
Is this a bug?
I just lost my first army while attacking an Arakvar nest (yes, I should have scouted it first, but my townspeople got caught up in the excitement of monsters camped just north of town). After my army was completely wiped out, it still registered on my sidebar as an incoming army returning to my city. It did not show on my military page as existing or moving, just in the sidebar.

Being unsuccessful in my attack, I didn't learn if there would be a benefit to taking out monster nest other than freeing up a resource square.
CranK View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:29
LOVE IT !!!! Hug
Dunwick View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:29
Gooood! =D
But answer me, does we receive something attacking them? (not talking about those future military quests that are probably coming with release 3... )
CranK View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:31
Originally posted by Chicane Chicane wrote:

Is this a bug?
I just lost my first army while attacking an Arakvar nest (yes, I should have scouted it first, but my townspeople got caught up in the excitement of monsters camped just north of town). After my army was completely wiped out, it still registered on my sidebar as an incoming army returning to my city. It did not show on my military page as existing or moving, just in the sidebar.

Being unsuccessful in my attack, I didn't learn if there would be a benefit to taking out monster nest other than freeing up a resource square.

Well, the army returning is are prob some ants taking back your commander to be resurrected and fight another day..

And you might have learned something, because I think killing some monsters gave your commanders some XP. But thats also something for me to find out ;-)
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:34
Originally posted by Chicane Chicane wrote:

Is this a bug?

Hi Chicane,

I'll have a look at your army returning buglet (seems like a bug to me).

On the question of benefits to taking out monster nests; well there's always the commander XP!

But yes, we have other plans in these directions.

Best,

GM Stormcrow
CranK View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:37
Forum   [1 New Post]
Announcements (31 Viewing)

Seems like the update is populair allraidy LOL
Wuzzel View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:45
I cant say how much i love you SC.
Do you want my babies?
Raritor View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 21:47
If you take babies you can take mine too...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic