illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

25MAY14 - Broken Lands update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Oneeye View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 02:28
I can see not too many allaince members sending res to other new players in BL cause of fellow  allaince members needing them there . N lady Rill ur rite i do see prices for basics going sky high in the market cause of this . (bows to all the great and amazing ppl in this great forum ) 
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Broken Lands is going to be a bear for city to city trades.  If I ever get my caravans back from sending to the new folks,  I will probably be raising the prices on basics a bit based on expectations of longer travel times.  Or at least trying to, and if others feel like me, it could affect the market significantly.

Demand should go up for basic resources. I assume exodus will be the primary form of settling BL. That requires millions of basic resources to rebuild the city back to it's target size. With so many people doing it, I imagine city to city sells will crazy. As well as prestige usage. 

Trade hub sells are likely to get even less attention in BL. Exodused cities will not be capable of sending caravans till their market is fully operational. Once fully operational, it will take twice as long to purchase from trade hub then to purchase from player cities. 

There may be a market for far south trade hub. Such as Larn or Farra Isle. But only if Elgea cities can keep it well stocked. 

Princely View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 17:58
Correct me if I am wrong... The travel distances established players will be experiencing when exo'ing their cities to BL will cause major problems once the cities land due to resource shortages. Once the city lands in BL a player could end up losing their shorts trying to get resources moved to their city that they move. The negative productions created by the exo from the move could easily start self destructing the town further before supplies arrive.

All thoughts and comments are eagerly awaited.
Sheza View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 18:07
One free or  cost  prestige ?  tendril  spell,  l one  per  account  .    so we can  send  one city  there at least  .  Do it for the new lands  
All in favor .   

If Horses don't go to Heaven when they die. then I want to go where they go.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 18:36
Princely:  It would depend on the buildings the player had in the city and the resource configuration of the destination square.  Certainly this is something that people would need to plan for ahead of time.  Another consideration will be the cost of maintaining buildings and troops during the long journey, which will be in the hundreds of millions of gold for anyone with a decent-sized army.  It's possible people will just decide to kill off most of their armies before they move.

Sheza:  Although I was not here at the time, it is my understanding that the Tenaril spell was basically "invented" to help players move as a result of a major map change.  It seems reasonable to me to allow another free Tenaril to accommodate people who want to move as a result of this major map change.  There will be people who disagree of course, for various political or gameplay reasons.  

Honestly this goes against my self interest, since I HAVE an alt with a Tenaril available, and this would just promote competition for my tiny one-city account from more established players.  I do think it's more fair to the bulk of the playerbase though.  Of course this would likely change dynamics of Broken Lands substantially from the last-announced intention of the developers.  But then the last-announced intention changed dynamics substantially from the previously announced intention.  Therefore this would not seem to me to be a barrier.

If the intention of opening up the Broken Lands is to create more space and free up some of the constrictions in Elgea, offering EVERY player a way to move at least one city would seem to accomplish this even more effectively.  

If there are other motivations, e.g., affording very new players a more even playing field in a new space, then there would be more effective ways of doing that, such as making Broken Lands a completely separate continent and simply not allowing any movement between the two areas, at least for a time.  Players could then choose whether to begin in a crowded Elgea or a less prosperous but also less crowded Broken Lands.  This would of course force existing players to choose whether to abandon already-built accounts in Elgea in favor of a new adventure in Broken Lands, creating a fairly draconian choice, but it would afford everyone starting in the new area a truly level playing field.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brids17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

This means that: 

• The Broken Lands will be a land extension to Elgea, pretty much doubling the size of the current map
  • The Broken Lands will be separated from Elgea by 300 squares of water (currently visible on the ingame world map), so there will be some travel distance between continents by default
  • Players will be able to freely move (exodus, Tenaril, settlers, military, diplo, trade etc) between continents - exactly as they currently do across Elgea
  • There will be no PvP-free zone on the Broken Lands (to be frank, it has turned out to be a broadly unnecessary feature that has been largely impossible to implement without becoming a "griefers' paradise")
  • BL will, however, have its own factions (you can read about them here), and its own mysteries, unique terrains, units, tournaments etc
  • There will be no second accounts, or "10 more cities".  Everyone is still limited to 2 accounts of 10 cities each, across the combined continental landmasses. On a separate note, we are aware of many of the frustrations players experience due to perma-sat accounts, and we will be addressing this separately in the near future.
In essence - because of our space limitations on Elgea - the two things that we aren't implementing for the Broken Lands are a) the PvP-free zone, and b) allowing Elgea players to start afresh with a further up-to-20 cities.

I don't know about anyone else but this is extremely disappointing to me. After no updates and a serious lack of bug fixes for a very long time, the developers finally come around to announce that one of the most anticipated patches to the game is maybe possibly coming soon. But low and behold it's not what we were told it would be. In fact, it's nothing like what we were told it was going to be. 

You guys took all the things that everyone was excited about and scrapped it. New accounts with the ability to reinvent yourself and play completely differently? Nope, we'll ban you if you make more than two accounts, but hey! Feel free to run an entire alliance by yourself exploiting the sitting system, something we said we would fix years ago. How about that cool new PVP and non-PVP zones we talked about? Yeah, that's not there either. But hey! Feel free to play the game the exact same way you've been playing it for the last few years!

This game has been slowly dying due to a lack of support and Broken Lands was something that many hoped would change that. And now you've decided to seemingly release it without actually putting in the time to finish it, leaving it a husk of what it was suppose to be and at most, quells the cries that this game has been abandoned while only serving to fix one issue; land disputes. 
GirlFromHell View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GirlFromHell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 20:32
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

This means that: 

• The Broken Lands will be a land extension to Elgea, pretty much doubling the size of the current map
  • The Broken Lands will be separated from Elgea by 300 squares of water (currently visible on the ingame world map), so there will be some travel distance between continents by default
  • Players will be able to freely move (exodus, Tenaril, settlers, military, diplo, trade etc) between continents - exactly as they currently do across Elgea
  • There will be no PvP-free zone on the Broken Lands (to be frank, it has turned out to be a broadly unnecessary feature that has been largely impossible to implement without becoming a "griefers' paradise")
  • BL will, however, have its own factions (you can read about them here), and its own mysteries, unique terrains, units, tournaments etc
  • There will be no second accounts, or "10 more cities".  Everyone is still limited to 2 accounts of 10 cities each, across the combined continental landmasses. On a separate note, we are aware of many of the frustrations players experience due to perma-sat accounts, and we will be addressing this separately in the near future.
In essence - because of our space limitations on Elgea - the two things that we aren't implementing for the Broken Lands are a) the PvP-free zone, and b) allowing Elgea players to start afresh with a further up-to-20 cities.

I don't know about anyone else but this is extremely disappointing to me. After no updates and a serious lack of bug fixes for a very long time, the developers finally come around to announce that one of the most anticipated patches to the game is maybe possibly coming soon. But low and behold it's not what we were told it would be. In fact, it's nothing like what we were told it was going to be. 

You guys took all the things that everyone was excited about and scrapped it. New accounts with the ability to reinvent yourself and play completely differently? Nope, we'll ban you if you make more than two accounts, but hey! Feel free to run an entire alliance by yourself exploiting the sitting system, something we said we would fix years ago. How about that cool new PVP and non-PVP zones we talked about? Yeah, that's not there either. But hey! Feel free to play the game the exact same way you've been playing it for the last few years!

This game has been slowly dying due to a lack of support and Broken Lands was something that many hoped would change that. And now you've decided to seemingly release it without actually putting in the time to finish it, leaving it a husk of what it was suppose to be and at most, quells the cries that this game has been abandoned while only serving to fix one issue; land disputes. 

Hear, hear. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
~Hell_Girl_Rei / -Nyx-

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 23:37
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

...hmm... good points, Brids. But to be honest, I wasn't anticipating the "originally announced" BLs very much. I have 2 medium sized accounts and I'm quite busy. Actually I restrain myself from playing more than my RL can take, and I wouldn't have opened a new account in BL.
Now I'm actually considering to exodus 2 or 3 cities over there.

And this sitting thing is at least said to be on the priority list (...again Wink)...  So there's still hope, although this will cause some mayor population loss in older alliances (tiny bit of mixed feeling with this, but definitly would do the game good!)
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 01:16
So here's the thing. For a player with two main accounts and several auxiliary accounts, what's the cost of moving over an auxiliary to Broken Lands? Zero. I think people are complaining because they expected a fresh, level playing field in BL (as promised), and now it will basically just be Elgea x2 size. More good spots will open up, but I'd expect those to be quickly camped by alliances with lots of spare accounts, i.e. the same ones in power now.

Give it a year, people will still be complaining that all the good spots are taken. =P
Flavius Aetius View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flavius Aetius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 01:33
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

So here's the thing. For a player with two main accounts and several auxiliary accounts, what's the cost of moving over an auxiliary to Broken Lands? Zero. I think people are complaining because they expected a fresh, level playing field in BL (as promised), and now it will basically just be Elgea x2 size. More good spots will open up, but I'd expect those to be quickly camped by alliances with lots of spare accounts, i.e. the same ones in power now.

Give it a year, people will still be complaining that all the good spots are taken. =P

As you say, it just stalls the existing problem. This is a disappointment, but I would say that we should be used to such disappointments. 
Cry havoc and let slip the eagles of freedom - The Raven King
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic