illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

25MAY14 - Broken Lands update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Spheniscidae View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spheniscidae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Spheniscidae Spheniscidae wrote:

So...after all the hype, nothing for established players with 10 cities then - unless you want to exodus your cities to BL.

Way to go, devs, way to go.

Many veteran players have - and many do - run 60 cities across 2 accounts and 4 permasat accounts.  The total number of accounts and the number of cities is really not the issue here.

I don't see how the point I am trying to make has anything to do with the permasat issue (and anyway, for the record, both players I am listed as a sitter for are alive and kicking).

How are established players who are close to or have reached 10 cities able to participate in BL content, short of exodusing cities there? In that regard, for me, this update is completely irrelevant. For those of us who have waited throughout 2013 for BL, only to wait another half a year, with all the bugs (some of which are still extant) and the lack of information as to where Illy was going - this is underwhelming to say the least.

Furthermore - originally BL was supposed to be independent of Elgea, with no communication between both regions (at least initially). Now that you are allowing the free flow of military, diplo and goods between both regions - I'd say that's a large disadvantage for those located in the north of Elgea.
WeeAshley View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeAshley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 15:46
Fantastic!

I think this is a much better way to implement it.  The whole plan to have it as another continent which was unattached seemed silly to me.

Now we have more of a "Discovery of North America" or "New World" type vibe.  How much is each player going to devote to taming the new world?  Or will they remain in the Old World and grab for the things left behind here?

This decision has made me very excited.
Myzel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 16:06
I also believe this is a better, more natural way to release it. The whole non-pvp area idea seemed pretty unworkable to me. I don't think the expansion is irrelevant for established players - you could always choose to use your alt and leave one account intact if you feel like exploring the new world. But it does mean these players (we) will think twice before moving there now. Which in turn means we might get a different dynamic there, instead of the same large alliances trying to outgrow each other with 20 new cities. 
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 17:48
I've been thinking on this for the last few hours. Here's what I got so far:

I think this is a much better way to implement the update. I can only see it on a personal level so far, maybe later I will have a more subjective view to share (given that anyone cares at all).

For me and my alliance, this gives us a real shot at a substantial rebirth after the pile on, trouncing we took at the hands of the new Illy overlords. The way I see it, TBL will be a clean slate and the re-thinking on the way it is to be implemented will cool the heals of the big accounts because they will have no way to get there without loosing something. The war against TVM has actually pre-primed us for a mass move to TBL and our overlords are much less likely to meet us there (in their current form).
Bonfyr Verboo
Lyken View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 18:23
With the addition of the new landmass, I do hope you understand the disappointment that many veteran players might feel. The Broken Lands can be labelled 'additional content', content in a game which they have waited on for quite some time. Their understanding is that they would be able to experience said new content (factions, item, NPCs, whatever) alongside their alliance members. As it is now, any player who has put the time into completing their account must give up a portion of that progress in order to do so.

That being said, I really have no suggestions on how to 'fix' that issue. Additional towns are not an option, as many large players would merely use them to increase their power here on Elgea. As a player who doesn't mind admitting to having a couple of mid-sized say accounts, and one who supports the idea of some sort of sitting time limit, I must point out that sitters cannot, in fact, exodus towns. Short of the towns being razed and re-settled , perma-sat towns would have to remain where they are. Really the worst part of the situation is that it actually makes these accounts the best way to play down there... hope you guys move ahead with your plans for those soon(ish)!

arnesson View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 18:38
I agree with Myzel, and those others who believe this is a positive move.  The BL expansion that was originally planned would have taken much longer to implement and would not really address the main issues that negatively affect the game.  Many veterans would have difficulty finding the time to manage 4 accounts and 20 cities, especially if they are also sitting other accounts as well.   This is a workable compromise that keeps the game interesting for all, veterans and new players.

For me, the main issue is getting rid of perma-sitters and abandoned accounts.  That would also open up prime real estate in the existing Elgean continent, since many of those were held by veteran players.  After that, improving logistics would be of great benefit.

Thanks SC and the rest of the team.  Smile
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 19:20
This is really an interesting concept - it will be possible for those with really bad neighbours to go in exile.

I would like to introduce the concept of a colony. It would be a way for those who do not want to exodus their cities to take part in the new continent, and it would enrich the whole game. To start a colony, you should need to have finished all trade research. 

You would need a new unit - the Governor - who is made by upgrading a Trader. You should not be allowed to plant more than one colony from a given city, and it should need to be on a different continent or maybe at a minimum distance of 1000 squares. This will make it sufficiently expensive and time consuming to prevent people from planting too many colonies.

A colony should have some restrictions compared with a town. No advanced buildings, for example. Limits on military and diplomatic units - maybe at least half the strength needs to be from the mother city?

Sheza View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 22:43
I would be happy with One spell  for my main cities per  accounts ..  
If Horses don't go to Heaven when they die. then I want to go where they go.
Detritus View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detritus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 22:55
Playing 4 years of Illy, I think this year sees the BIGGEST changes in political landscapes EVER.

All those changes will cause considerable powershifts, territory claim conflicts, raising new alliances and difficult diplomacy coming ahead...

... I like!  Clap
Korben Dallas View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Korben Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 23:17
If you want to keep the idea of 'equal footing' for new players and veterans alike in Broken Lands I suggest making BL settler only. No tenariling or exodusing please. I know my suggestion means really planning your settlements and no terraforming. I'd also put in for a city destruction research (with a rules list like exodus) and faster moving settlers please? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic