illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

05MAY15 - New Player changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lokifeyson View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokifeyson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 05:23
Woah! udates....? wait what are those again? Wink

thanks guys!Clap
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 13:34
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Alba, I think you are forgetting that the caravan carrying capacity of a new player is tiny -- 5 caravans carrying 200 items each in the beginning.
Indeed, hence my specifying high-value items only. Think silversteel, crafted stuff, or very urgent stuff.

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I suggest the developers keep an eye on whether a lot of newb accounts are being started and abandoned from single IP addresses to determine whether this is occurring.  I don't know that I'd devote a lot of time to it, given the extremely limited potential for an exploit.
*nods again* I took that as read. 

Overall, a player would be quite desperate to do this, and I'd not worry until it actually starts happening. There's a developer rule that you code for 80% of users, and this is very much a <1% possibility, with minimal impact.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 00:24
Devs, if you really want to help new players, then please cut the Exodus requirement from Warehouse 20 to like WH10 or SH15. It's ridiculous that you openly admit you expect people to leave the newb ring to join friends, and then punish them horribly for doing just that. New players spend weeks building up their warehouse and doing the Exodus research, only to rip it all down. It's unnecessary and demoralizing for them.

Or let people burn down their own towns. Anything to help speed up the migration process once people make a moving decision. Or get rid of Tenaril terraforming, because everyone is so reluctant to waste that spell just moving into an alliance.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 03:04
I'm as interested in new players as anyone, but I don't think lowering the requirement for Exodus is a good answer.  New players should not feel pressured to do Exodus and then Tenaril; Tenariling out of the new player ring onto a 5-food square works out just fine, especially if other cities are on 7-food squares.  Of course there are significant advantages to Exodus and then Tenaril, but it's reasonable to expect some sacrifice in exchange for the advantages.

In my experience, the biggest barrier is the time it takes to build the warehouse to level 20, not the fact that it delevels to 12 afterwards.  Some new players get discouraged by that.  But that's a reason not create a false belief in new players that Exodus then Tenaril is the only way to be successful in the game; it should be presented as an option that can be helpful if you have patience (or a supportive alliance and willingness to spend prestige).

I wouldn't object to a rule that you can only Tenaril a maximum of 5 food squares to cut out the pressure, but it's hard to imagine how that would work out in the code (what happens to the other squares?) and probably there would be howls of protest.

In sum:  I think the Exodus mechanic works just fine; it is the player-created application of the idea that some new players may feel pressured to adopt that creates a problem.
Karrakaz View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrakaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 19:20
Karrakaz's Storehouse L1 completed at Tai-Tastigon. Construction of Storehouse L2 has now begun. 10 minutes ago 22 May 2014 18:02:54
King Sigurd of Illyria's [DEVS] caravans from Council Of Illyria arrive at Karrakaz's town Tai-Tastigon 11 minutes ago 22 May 2014 18:02:05
Caravans from King Sigurd of Illyria [DEVS] are on their way to Tai-Tastigon 12 minutes ago 22 May 2014 18:01:03
Caravans from King Sigurd of Illyria [DEVS] are on their way to Tai-Tastigon 12 minutes ago 22 May 2014 18:01:03
Karrakaz's Library L1 completed at Tai-Tastigon. Construction of Storehouse L1 has now begun. 13 minutes ago 22 May 2014 17:59:53

Notice anything? Look carefully.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 22:27
The caravans arrive before the storehouse is complete.  This mostly happens if you click along without actually reading anything.  I do recommend building the storehouse first still, since otherwise some resources may be lost.
Altrix View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 00:54
I think Karrakaz is more referring to the fact that two sets of caravans get dispatched to his town yet only one arrives. I am not up with how many a new player recieves but it does seem odd that one arrives in 1min and the other has not shown even though they were dispatched at the same time.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 01:58
They are staggered.  One arrives almost instantly, the other takes 14 hours.  I assume this is to give the new player some time to use up the resources.  Yes it's a little weird that they start from the same place and take different amounts of time to arrive, but this is King Sigurd we're talking about.  I've been telling you, he's not to be trusted.
GirlFromHell View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GirlFromHell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 21:22
This is fantastic!
It shows what Illy is best at. Making everything awesome. Newbs will get an excellent boost, making this an even MORE players friendly game!
Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
~Hell_Girl_Rei / -Nyx-

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic