illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

05MAY15 - New Player changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 01:46
Welcome to the club, Arctic55. It's not an actual problem though, imo.

I've never been much of a newb-fairy-godmother but I think this is a great idea and a great update. From what I can remember as a newb, in those foggy days of yore, these improvements would have been much appreciated. Thanks!
Bonfyr Verboo
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 02:37
Thank you!      I have been enjoying zipping my caravans around already. The other changes don't affect me, but a lot of newbies do complain about how hard it is to make a trader so it is nice it is a bit faster now :)

Also I would like to say, it has been really nice that we have been getting small little changes like lately (and the less small but very nice addition of lake sov). Combined with the tourney at the same time, it is practically illy paradise.
LadyLifeGrows View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLifeGrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 03:29
ClapThis is wonderful. I am still gonna use 3 prestige for my buddy-link welcome caravans cuz it helps newbies get to 100 population and then I get 50 prestige. It seems only fair to give them a wee bit of the prestige they give me.

I was specifically thinking of first and second day newbies, when the system tells me they landed but nobody else knows yet. I want my small caravans to get there so fast that they don't have time to get bored for lack of resources.

Maybe a five-prestige pigeon post that would zap up to 2000 items in 1 hour, or even immediately. You have to research it first, of course, somewhere in the trade menus, but it is housed with the caravans, so you don't need yet another building.

Hmm--a new suggestion--how about a 100 prestige item that expanded one city so it could hold one more building? Limit 5 per city so as not to ruin the game.

Gimli, you were one of my rainbow heroes drowning me in res. You really gave me a good claying and I had to ask why you sent so much. You explained that you had more than you could use anyway and by the time your caravans got home, the res was replaced anyway. I have used this understanding in my mails I sent to new players letting them know that they need to announce themselves in gc.
LadyLifeGrows View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLifeGrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 03:48
How to get newbies to last.

I have a buddy link on the Lord of Ultima (LoU) forum "Where do we go next?" That is a big game that is ending so I get new players every day and I have increased the percentage who stay and who make it to 100 population. It is good for Illyriad if you all know what I have discovered.

First, I only send caravans if  player has at least 3 population. Any game has toe-dippers that decide right away that the game is not for them, and they vanish, never to return. I have done that myself, several times. No sense sending them res--but one of these DID get some population, so I still send them a welcome mail just in case they ever see it.

Since I am a small two-city player myself, I don't send Gimli-size clayings. I just send 100 books so they can start their research, and 100-500 of each res and some gold since peeps gave me millions. But I want them to get my caravans as fast as possible and that is what started this thread.

Later I added a welcome mail because some were wondering how I knew they existed. Here is the last one I sent:

The game tells me when somebody signs up from my LoU buddy link. There are a lot of LoU vets here in Illy.

In a minute, I will check your towns, and as soon as I see at least 3 citizens, I will send you a welcome wagon.

If you say hello in global chat, you will find out how rich some players are as they dearly love to drown new players in res. Do tutorial and then upgrade your storehouse!

----------

When I checked his towns, he already had 3 citizens, so I sent a caravan right away and it would take forever even with  prestige. He has replied to my mail:

oh great thanks!

---------

Illy is a very social group and letting people know right away that they are appreciated and wanted is the essence of it.
Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auraya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 11:23
+1 devs. Muchly appreciated :)
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 13:45
This looks like a good step in removing some of the in-game hurdles for new players.

The only exploit I foresee, is as follows: established players (or alliances) who have towns on the outskirts can create a new alt player, on the gamble that its location will be useful (say within the 'newbie ring'), and use it to receive high-value advanced or crafted resources at double speed. The new account can then distribute those the short last hop at 20 squares per hour (or as Marketplace upgrades allow).

So to close this, I expect only a limited range of items should be sent at double speed, i.e. those likely to be used by a very new player (any quantity of 5 basics, up to 200 books, up to 50 cows, up to 50 horses).
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 18:33
Alba, I think you are forgetting that the caravan carrying capacity of a new player is tiny -- 5 caravans carrying 200 items each in the beginning.  In order to expand to carry a significant number of items you would need to upgrade marketplace and research ...

Bartering 2h
Trading 10 h
Mercantilism 12 h
Cartels 18 h

Improved Loading 3 h
Reinforced Cartwheels 6h
Baggage Train 9 h
Juggernaut 14 h

These are just the shorter researches and would not give you full carrying capacity, but to achieve it would take 3 days, so you'd only have 4 days left to "exploit" this before having to start over with a new newb alt.  

That's IF you use prestige to upgrade your marketplace (and storehouse/warehouse) to the right levels, which of course would require resources, which you would probably need to prestige deliver if you wanted to get them in a timely manner.  At that point, you might as well spend the prestige on speeding up caravans of goods!

While it's remotely possible that someone would wish to do this, it seems unlikely to me, especially given random spawning of newbs and the number of accounts you'd have to start and abandon to get the location you wanted.

I suggest the developers keep an eye on whether a lot of newb accounts are being started and abandoned from single IP addresses to determine whether this is occurring.  I don't know that I'd devote a lot of time to it, given the extremely limited potential for an exploit.
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 19:27
If you listen carefully, you can hear every thief in Elgea cry a little.  

They where already a pretty depressed bunch, of course.  
Chaos Armor View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaos Armor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 04:54
Originally posted by Aurordan Aurordan wrote:

If you listen carefully, you can hear every thief in Elgea cry a little.  

They where already a pretty depressed bunch, of course.  

I pray for their souls.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 17:19
All these numbers, and we all know how good at math I am! /me nodz vigorously, the heart of the matter is, I AM GLAD TO HEAR SOME NEW STUFF!!

Can this be a weekly thing? (would be amazed of course and I have low expectations.. LOL) 

YOU LIKE US, YOU REALLY, REALLY LIKE US, DEVS!!
D
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic