Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 10-Square Myth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 23:52
Originally posted by Myll Myll wrote:

First, my primary argument: there is no 10-Square "Rule" in this game - that is a myth that needs to be broken apart and shoved down the throat of Audrey in her awakened state.

There is only a 10-Square "restriction" in this game, coded in by the developers to restrict settlement specifically by the Exodus or Tenaril movement processes, and that restriction is overcome by Sov 5 on the desired tile. 
it is a "rule" not in the sense of a game rule but in the sense of "rule of thumb" or "the golden rule". it is good for newbs to understand that the 10 square rule is not enforced by the game; it would be foolish to omit in their instruction the likely effects of disregarding it.
Myzel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 00:03

Deranzin - if I right now ventured out and killed your harvesters, would H? declare war on us, or would you settle it locally first and foremost?  You have to think about that question, because it is at the core of how alliances approach the game.  I think two players can battle and compete without dragging their entire alliance into a war.

I wonder how think this will work. What if you seriously compete on a local level and one side loses? You think they'll be like 'oh well, looks like I lost. Guess I'll just give up that rare mineral that I had claimed.' No, I'd say the losing side will look for help from allies, which is an obvious move. In response the other side will do so as well, and then you'll have what you call a war. Actually, not standing alone when someone attacks you is exactly why people are in alliances.

They are just as vocal to me that your long-standing Dogma is idiotic!!!  You have to control resources through force, not words, but you are also missing the point because you're sucked into the Dogma.

Those resources are controlled through the threat of force. Let's be honest, it's not actually words that are stopping you from taking resources by force (or whatever). Why would they? What's stopping you is the fact that you'll suffer the consequences if you try to do so.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 00:12

I think two players can battle and compete without dragging their entire alliance into a war.
they can, and have where resource disputes are concerned. where there are good reasons on both sides not to engage in full-scale war. (yes, eCrow has direct experience with this). that has very little to do with the 10 square rule. the 10 square rule is largely global, while resource policies are quite different between alliances and far from settled even regionally.

I have mostly new players in Tsunami [WAVE] - well over 40 members now, and we will be a 90+ member alliance one day.  We have a mix of a few returning players and some alt characters, but the majority are new to the game but not new to MMORPGs (many from LoU) --- i.e. they are gamers and not ignorant as to gameplay.

They are just as vocal to me that your long-standing Dogma is idiotic!!!  You have to control resources through force, not words, but you are also missing the point because you're sucked into the Dogma.
new players have long bridled at any restriction to their settlement, long complained that the map is too crowded, long griped at lengthy research times, long felt that illy is over-politicked...in short, they are vocally opposed to anything that restricts their rise to power in the game. you may be surprised to find that as they join the status quo, they find the status quo more to their liking.

We need a fresh new approach to the game, which remains capable of local competition and actively playing the game...
this has considerably more to do with alliances being willing to endure a certain amount of ambient conflict, and very little to do with the strength of the 10 square rule. atm, the dominant philosophy of very large alliances involves confronting threats as quickly as can be managed and defeating them definitively to remove any chance of recurrence. taking on the 10 square rule seems quite incidental to changing that dynamic.

Edited by Angrim - 25 Apr 2014 at 00:15
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 02:40
I especially agree with Angrim's last point.

I've also noticed that players in favor of local skirmishes tend to be big, concentrated military players facing less able opponents. The reason alliances provide mutual defense is exactly so some 10 city juggernaut with 4 sat accounts doesn't punch some 10k pop player into outer space. While I think it's nice to advocate smaller skirmishes and wars, that is largely limited by the willingness of the defeated party to gracefully accept defeat when they have the option to call in more powerful allies.

i.e. This is how a useless Trove Mine causes 100+ cities of wreckage.
Oneeye View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oneeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 21:06
Do to the respect of everyone in this great forum .(bows to everyone here ) . Now  with that done the 10 square rule is a respectful thing in my honest veiw . i always try to be respectful here in  this great gaming community . yes i get ur point myll abt the 10 square rule . But again the reason im here is cause the illy community is the best and awesome and very respectful for the most part. Hence why i always igm before i do anything in anyones 10 square city range . its not abt taking its abt not sacrificing my code for res or a city spot . (bows to all the great and amazing ppl in this forum )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic