FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

27MAR14 - Exodus bugfixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 04:54
Starry, did you read the thread?  Stormcrow is the one who said he thought it should be changed, although by a method that fell short of destroying the city on arrival.  I can understand why they didn't choose to prioritize this question, but I can see both sides -- those who wanted it changed and those who didn't.

If you do read the thread, you were one of the people most vocal about this very mechanic before.  In both cases -- then and now -- I have mostly focused on how the mechanic is actually working rather than expressing a strong opinion about how it should work.  What I think most important is that people are able to consistently predict what will occur (that is, what game mechanics will occur if Player X does Action Y, rather than being able to predict what Player X might do), and then as you said, to interact with that creatively.

Edited to clarify that the game mechanics, rather than the players, are what should be predictable.

Edited by Rill - 07 Apr 2014 at 04:55
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 07:55
verb
verb: exploit; 3rd person present: exploits; past tense: exploited; past participle: exploited; gerund or present participle: exploiting
ikˈsploit/
make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

noun
noun: exploit; plural noun: exploits
ˈekˌsploit/
a bold or daring feat.

so call it an exploit if you like, that seems quite accurate based on this definition. it's part of the published workings of the game. players can agree or disagree that it makes any sense, alongside all the other various rules in illyriad, but let's not pretend that the devs will be changing it as a result of public consensus on the forum. Stormcrow's game, his rules...and, at least for today, this manoeuvre is within them.

Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 13:18
+1 Angrim

Yes, Rill, I read your post, did you read mine?   Obviously not, the fact is the Devs have not felt it needed to be changed.    Just because you don't like a tactic does not mean it needs to changed.  I agree with Angrim, iIlly is not YOUR game, perhaps you should give the Devs credit for allowing players room for creative game play which has been the hallmark of this game from the start.

Exodus has been used defensively in battle since it was released, this is no different and well within the rules of game mechanics.

CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 17:31
I think running away is a valid option when an enemy is approaching, but I have never liked the way exodus works. It should not be possible to just move away without leaving anything behind. At the very least some ruins and stragglers, and it would be a major job to tear down walls and remove fields and quarries. The siege army should get some spoils in that situation.
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anjire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 19:28
Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

I think running away is a valid option when an enemy is approaching, but I have never liked the way exodus works. It should not be possible to just move away without leaving anything behind. At the very least some ruins and stragglers, and it would be a major job to tear down walls and remove fields and quarries. The siege army should get some spoils in that situation.

There is actual a glitch/bug with exodus that will do just that.  I have had crafted material drop from my cities inventory to be left behind as spoils.   

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 21:47
This is an announcements thread.  Perhaps discussion of what people think about a related but different game mechanic (how exodused cities behave when they land on occupying armies) should be adjourned to the suggestions/game enhancements forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic