FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

27MAR14 - Exodus bugfixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27MAR14 - Exodus bugfixes
    Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:19
Hi everyone,

A rework of some of the exodus code now means that any city exodusing should no longer have blockades, sieges, or diplomatic unit attacks remain for very long after the exodus has begun.

There's now a "clean up" process that runs every 5 minutes that basically checks to see if there are any inbound military or diplomatic units to a city that is currently in exodus.  If there is...
  • Any military units in motion to a city that has begun exodus will have their orders (whatever they were before) changed to attack the square where the city was previously located
  • Any diplomatic units in motion to a city that has begun exodus will have their orders remain the same, simply targeting the square rather than the city
Whilst a temporary fix has been in place for sieging armies for a while, I've repatriated any armies currently blockading other (exodused) towns from unfeasible locations.

As it takes a city more than 5 minutes to exodus to any location (even a next door square), this should sort out any units currently in motion to an exodusing city.  I would, however, recommend that anyone exodusing a city whilst under attack should make sure that the next inbound hostile unit is at least 5 minutes away before initiating exodus, to ensure that the clean up routine prevents the blockade from landing.

Best wishes,

GM Stormcrow

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 27 Mar 2014 at 21:34
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:33
Hi SC,

nice to see this bug fixed.

What exactly would happen, if the hostile units aren't more than 5 min away?

I mean, it would be realistic, if they hit anyway, as the refugees didn't run fast enough =)
But apart from that, would it cause anything in the code to break, or is there additional safety?

kindest regards,
Hora
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:38
Hi Hora,

In terms of encampments, sieges would be cleared up (as there's another process that sorts out "unfeasible sieges", and they take 12hr minimum to set up) but blockades (that take effect instantly) may not be cleared out.  

I'll certainly look at clearing blockades as well in the future.

Cheers,

SC

Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:47
Ah, yes, that was the tiny gap I had in mind...  
perhaps you could add a (e.g. 5 min) set up time to blockades, so you wouldn't have yet another high frequent routine, but could integrate both blockade and siege check into the movement check?
(might be I speak only gibberish due to my lack of in depth knowledge of Illy programming... Confused)
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:54
Anyone who waits til the last 5 minutes to exo in front of an approaching blockade deserves what they get ...

Just kidding, but while I expect that WILL happen at some point, it will probably be rare enough that it won't be a huge issue, so this fix should clear up 90% plus of any remaining issues with Exodus under incoming attack.

Thank you for making things better!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by Hora Hora wrote:

Ah, yes, that was the tiny gap I had in mind...  
perhaps you could add a (e.g. 5 min) set up time to blockades, so you wouldn't have yet another high frequent routine, but could integrate both blockade and siege check into the movement check?
(might be I speak only gibberish due to my lack of in depth knowledge of Illy programming... Confused)

No, not gibberish at all Hora!  It's just that anytime we introduce another step (ie a siege army arrives at a location and then has to wait X time before Y happens and then Z bombardment happens every hour thereafter) there's a very very small chance for things to get scrambled / lost etc in the handover points.  

It shouldn't happen that way, but it occasionally does - as per the "inexplicable database weirdness" as both ourselves and our db vendor are describing the supposedly-unrelated-but-actually-not herb regeneration/stuck army issue that occurred earlier this month.

In that event we managed to accomplish the impossible, apparently, by getting a NULL value into an explicitly NOT-NULLable column in a table.  This is kinda the database equivalent of whatever the inverse of winning a Nobel prize would be - and both ourselves and our db vendor are hard at work trying to discover how we/you (the players) managed to do it.

So keeping systems independent from one another as much as possible is quite a good strategy in the current circs, until we have a proper explanation of how this event was even possible.

Best wishes,

SC

Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 22:53
Thanks for the explanation, now I'm even more impressed on the work you Devs are doing.

Maybe you should put an exorcist on the payroll to deal with the DB? Wink

Best of luck with finding the error!
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordigui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 18:02
Thanks.
But this does not fix the EXPLOIT that H? is continuously using of exodusing a city to a square that is occupied by an enemy army.
This does not only not prevent the city to settle, but the enemy armies reinforce the city.
Please revise again the exodus and prevent this exploit.
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 18:25
One should get warning from armies approaching their sovereign squares.
This is terrible EXPLOIT that you can just sneak upon a town.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 21:17
Exodusing cities setting down on top of enemy armies is not an exploit, it's a feature of exodus as described.  Any troops in the city will fight troops on the square (if they are not NAP'd or confed) and then the city will set down.  This is different than settlers, which would bounce in this situation.

It does mean that people have to be quick with messengers.  On the other hand, any armies in the Exodusing city would be attacking without the benefit of the wall, as I understand it (since wall has only a defensive bonus).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic