Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you pay upkeep for travelling diplos?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you pay upkeep for travelling diplos?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 15:54
Hi all,

I noticed that the diplomacy overview page completely ignores travelling units. It appears as if gold upkeep was not due for them, which would be absurd imo, but is it really so?

I want to do the statue hunt mystery but I don't want to reduce my gold income too much so, for now, I only recruited a few spies which I intend to send back and forth to scout the various locations.

Anyway, if travelling units really need no upkeep, it would probably be better to just build all 20 (or 26, including the two part hunts) at once and disband them when they get back.

Is upkeep really not due for travelling units? Either way, should't the overview page display travelling units info too (as  it does for caravans)?

Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 16:31
Traveling units show up in Movements. Their cost is displayed on the Taxes breakdown.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 18:12
I interpret the point of the diplo and military summaries to be telling you how many units you have available in your city right now rather than represent a calculation of upkeep.  The trade summary has a slightly different purpose, since unlike military and diplomatic units there are absolute limits on the number of each trade unit a city can own (other than traders).  The trade summary is useful for finding out whether your town has the maximum number of possible units and as such needs to show the units that are elsewhere.

Adding units in motion to the military and diplo summary pages is an interesting idea; I'm not sure I'd want it to be a high priority if it took a lot of effort.
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 18:13
Thanks Brand,

Looking at the total in the taxes page, as you suggested, and after some calculations, I confirmed the upkeep is actually due for travelling units as well.

I still think the info should be available in the diplo page which, as it is now, is misleading.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 19:05
Dwrwd, the Overview page shows your city defenses. It isn't misleading. If you are reinforced, it will also show the stats and summary of the friendly forces defending your city. You get green notifications above your icons when you have units in motion, and they appear on the Movements page. You should really already know the upkeep of units you out into the field, but you can always check on the Taxes page to be sure.
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

You should really already know the upkeep of units you out into the field

Then why does the diplo overview page even show the upkeep value for the units that are at home? Better not show that column at all then to give incomplete and, I insist, misleading information.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic