FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

27OCT13 - Daylight Savings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27OCT13 - Daylight Savings
    Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 07:51
Hi all,

In the UK and much of Europe, daylight savings has come into effect.

In the US, there's another week before the "fall back" time change.

The game server runs on UTC (which is near as dammit GMT without the "savings", and is a constant).  So the server doesn't care what your local time zone is, as it doesn't pay any attention to this artificial time shenaniganry.

What I'm saying is that if the timing of things looks weird, that's *your* weirdness, not ours.  The server processes everything linearly, as ever.

If things look like they're out an hour in your ingame screens/third party apps etc, please address your ire towards the current Astronomer Royal, Baron Rees of Ludlow who (I'm sure) would be delighted to take your questions.

Alternatively you can press refresh in your browser, and everything should fix itself. Or not, depending on what time zone you reside in, and when your local clocks reset. 

Best,

SC

Edited by GM Rikoo - 25 Apr 2015 at 20:56
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 13:24
Looks like the forum had an issue though:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/mcrows-stance-on-the-war_topic5290.html

ScottFitz post should be first...
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 18:01
Yes, Illy game itself should be fine, but the forum looks to have recorded posts in local time. No real problem though.
Eiche View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eiche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 00:31
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

The game server runs on UTC (which is near as dammit GMT without the "savings", and is a constant).
UTC is exactly* identical to GMT, just with a different name so that the French don't get offended. When the time is messed about with in the UK it is called "British Summer Time" (BST), and GMT carries on unperturbed.

Where I work we don't much care for messing about with the time, so we have a bunch of clocks with a great big "Z" on the face, where the "Z" stands for "Zulu time", which is the which is the way such a time is written out: eg 10:00Z.

* Maybe not exactly. The way they handle leap seconds may be different.
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

If things look like they're out an hour in your ingame screens/third party apps etc, please address your ire towards the current Astronomer Royal, Baron Rees of Ludlow who (I'm sure) would be delighted to take your questions.
Given how long and lyrically Rees
would talk about the time when someone moved his jar of instant coffee, I am sure he would welcome the diversion, but you may find that you are biting off more than you can chew by starting such a conversation.
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 02:28
I thought that, historically, UTC was based on GMT with leap seconds added.
Eiche View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eiche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 09:50
I'm sure Baron Rees knows more than I, but this is one those areas where the more you know the more confusing it becomes, because there is more than one Universal Time.

Those interested can either contact the Astronomer Royal direct: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~mjr/
or they can look at the documentation on the International Telecommunications Union website: eg http://www.itu.int/pub/R-QUE-SG07.236-2001
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 23:33
Bump this for those concerned about DST, etc.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic