Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMilitary for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 15:06
"we should not be totally dependent of the devs"

"time to get active devs, make a decision and support the game"
"i hope the devs are reading this topic and realize they have to add"

I see a slight disconnect in your logic.  Totally agree with the first part, and it turns out the Devs don't need to add squat for players to go to war with each other.  The fact there aren't 24/7 wars is a player generated.

Oh you can have an army before your rainbow runs out, the 'no newbie army' is once again player generated.  Which was the point of this thread to start.  Its ok for newbies to have armies, and there shouldn't be a 100% "Don't do that" aspect of player 'guides'
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 01:23
Isn't hunting NPCs the "military function for small players"? Kill stuff, get XP, level your commanders, use fancy equipment, collect interesting animal bits... all without direct PvP.
ropadope View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 02:42
I never post here but this topic interests me...

This is a sandbox...build your own castle.  If you choose military and attack others...be prepared to start over.  It's that simple.
Vanerin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 06:11
I must say I was slightly disappointed by this post. I was expecting a guide designed to help new players learn. :\

I would be very interested in hearing more details how you would suggest a new player learning about military though.

~Vanerin
Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 02:05
if you're a new player, I would build and maintain a small military as soon as the rainbow ends.  I also always recommend this to new players and will send the equipment to get the started as generally I find the noob ring the most hostile environment there is in all of illy; with new players often testing magic, diplo attacks and even military against other unaligned new players all the time. At least, this was my experience when I joined and also when I made an alt. - M.

Edited by Meagh - 02 Jul 2013 at 02:06
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 02:59
I only got attacked once in the newb ring, and it was by a much bigger player. However, I leveled up the Mage Tower early, and over the first few months it incinerated quite an array of thieves, plus some saboteurs and assassins.
The Duke View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 06:03
Great post and I concur
Also a +1 to Lyr- great point and a completely agree. 

"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."
Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 16:03
I think people are talking past eachother. No one really cares if newbies build military - their alliances may encourage them to grow first (as it makes sense to develope your infrastructure if you're hanging around for a longer time), but the real issue I see people taking with newbies building military for the purpose of PVP - which by all means is okay, but experience shows that newbies who choose this path usually fare poorly in general.

So I dont think there is anything wrong in encouraging players to know the game to some depth before they develope the capability to hurt themselves badly.
"FYI - if you had any balls you'd be posting under your in-game name." - KP
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 20:10
T, I don't think you understand the military good/bad behavior any more clearly if you spend two weeks grinding out resource plots. You learn by asking, or for some people, by making mistakes. You are not able to harm yourself with a small army. Certainly other players can use a conflict as an excuse to beat up newbs (and GC has many such people), but the actual damage that can be inflicted with 100 axemen is negligible. The learning opportunities far outstrip any potential hazards.
Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 20:45
Learning takes times is all Im saying, and Illy takes patience to get to know. Many players who come from other MMO's will experience that progress come far less easy here (as we prefer it), and as such the prospect of playing with armies (small or big doesnt really matter you can always find someone slightly smaller than you to pick on) can seem attractive to those who grow impatient or bored - regardless of what they stand to gain in resources etc.

What I mean to say is Brandmeister that mistakes are not free of cost in Illy. If you act with aggression towards other players it sticks with you for a long time and you must be prepared to fend off other aggressors who now find that they have a "legitimate excuse" to raid and harass or even flat out siege said newbies cities. I dont think many GC people will rush to the defense of a raider (I could be wrong ofc.)

I dont stipulate that people should not be allowed to play with armies right off the bat, I just don't believe you get much out of that playing style in the long run. To me its about being a good mentor to newcommers first and foremost, but I leave the decision - and the consequences to the players themselves.

We can always agree to disagree.
"FYI - if you had any balls you'd be posting under your in-game name." - KP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic