Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMilitary for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 22:25
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Originally posted by Ossian Ossian wrote:

Good opening post but just remember be smart with your diplomacy.

Building armies can be great fun. It's the commander that  counts in the first instance; your units second and how you use them third.

Once you choose the pathway of the warrior in Illy other bigger bored players will see you as such and will be looking for any excuse to attack you.  So if you want the buzz that goes with building your army then that is all good... but be prepared for the down when half a dozen players suddenly rush to destroy it. 

Ok thats just flat out wrong in Illy.  There are a few jerks but they would attack no matter what, and when they do there is a pretty strong newb friendly environment to help them out.  

There isn't any 'half a dozen players suddenly' rushing to destroy any new players.  If anybody did try that there would be a dozen players suddenly rushing to destroy the annoying half dozen.  

I have seen more occurrences over the space of this past year where new players were deemed "Trolls" by frequent GC'ers and then subsequently sieged for being "trollish" instead of being blocked. I suppose these actions are a bit like giving a mentally ill person electric shocks in hopes that one day he will be "cleansed".

with that said, I agree that new players should not be discouraged from following an aggressive military path.
Eternal Fire
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 22:44
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Once you choose the pathway of the warrior in Illy other bigger bored players will see you as such and will be looking for any excuse to attack you.  So if you want the buzz that goes with building your army then that is all good... but be prepared for the down when half a dozen players suddenly rush to destroy it. 

If anybody did try that there would be a dozen players suddenly rushing to destroy the annoying half dozen.  

I think those are the players he was talking about...
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 04:02
This is one way to play. There are many.

Illy is a friendly game and "even if" you want to be a combat oriented player, as long as you aren't a moron about it you'll remain relatively free of "random" destruction, regardless of size.

When I began I was leary of the military side of the game because I just didn't know what to expect. I got lucky and was invited into an alliance with goals that were spot on with mine. My leader (the much maligned Eternal Fire-less eternal now but I believe, at that time a good example of a militaristic leader) encouraged defence and it paid off. Things in that alliance eventually self destructed but without that introduction to Illy I'd have given up from boredom. One can "do what thou wilt" here. Take other's views into account or not. You can even be sieged to near newb status and just regrow. Illy is so very flexable.

If a new player I have some sort of connection to (a member of ~NS~, a friend of a friend or whatever) asks for weapons I will send them. I won't do that randomly, in GC but that's just me. I see absolutely no problem with it. What's the worst that can happen? Some Crowfederalist, or H? tyrant smacks them around? So what? Some unalligned player attacks them? So what? Even if they get sieged to zero, so what? It's a friggen game. Start over, give up or cry in GC and have a war started over your dumb ass. So what? Play as you want to play. The consequences of your actions, as uninteresting in one extreme or downright brutal in another are just digits. Log out and have dinner.
Bonfyr Verboo
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 14:25
The Electrocutioner's opening post was well presented. My appearance in this thread has once again brought forth anger and ire. I should have known better. Disregard my post and carry on.
st aug View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 04:42
Ossian let them get mad all they want. The true test to any one's character is to listen to someone that you do not agree with and here them out and then you give your side of the story .   It's called being open minded. very few have this skill[ being open minded] most attack when they disagree with you and don't listen to what you have to say . May you speak freely always

Edited by st aug - 26 Jun 2013 at 05:00
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 18:03

The Electrocutioner's opening post was well presented. My appearance in this thread has once again brought forth anger and ire. I should have known better. Disregard my post and carry on.

Hmm, anger and ire? You sure have a healthy ego. I saw no anger in others posts. For myself, I would say no to anger as well but I'll agree to one of the looser definitions of ire, that being passion. I have some passion about this subject as I believe it is a downright shame that so many possibly good players just disappear because Illy "looks" quite boring on the face of it.

As a newb, having little experience with the online gaming community, other than WoW, I figured I'd be wiped out soon enough but thought "what the heck, got nothing to loose...it's free." There are others however, who are eager for action. When that action is not only not forthcoming but generally talked down in GC ("it's too soon"..."you don't need an army"..."we will protect you") those sorts of players quit just because they have more fun elsewhere. I believe this gives Illy the appearance of a city builder to the war type players. That's all fine and dandy but when players profess to support all types of play styles and some of those "all types" are treated as unwelcome, well hypocrisy ensues.

There really is room for all types here. That is the foundation of Illy. If you want to fight, you can. If you want to build in peace, you can. Trade, yup. Magik...well, maybe soon. Gathering and crafting. Spreadsheets and gaming by the seat of your pants. It's all available. The OP posed a simple suggestion, that new players can legitimately build armies and send them out to die just as established players. Some may want assistance, just as builders are oft times looking for assistance. Those militant players are hardly more of a threat (yes, even fully grown) than the builders are. One can never build a large enough army to supress ones fellow players. Not for very long anyway. It is true, Ossian that sometimes there are actions than can get you your head handed to you but in Illy you can reattach said head and try again.
Bonfyr Verboo
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 23:04
One reason I don't spend much time in GC is the fact that a lot of veteran players actually drive new ones away. Not on purpose, but by constant carping about "don't do that" and "do this". Does a new player really want to spend the first month or more clicking on a storehouse and resource plots? Maybe some do, but I'll bet most don't. I firmly believe that the large number of abandoned new accounts is due to the boredom that results from constant GC discouragement towards trying anything "that's only for bigger players".

GC, if you want to encourage and keep new players, lighten up on the hectoring. Encourage newbs to build a trader if they want. Encourage newbs to build diplos and armies if they want. Encourage newbs to start harvesting rare herbs and minerals if they want. Encourage newbs to start crafting if they want. Let newbs do whatever the heck they want, ferchrissakes. It's a game, not a job.

If I had listened to all the mother hens in this game I would have given it up a long time ago.

Edited by Llyr - 29 Jun 2013 at 23:06

Sir Bradly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 23:46
+1 Llyr 

Great post Electrok!
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 06:06
Originally posted by Llyr Llyr wrote:

Does a new player really want to spend the first month or more clicking on a storehouse and resource plots? Maybe some do, but I'll bet most don't.

This. So very much this.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 14:11
personally i hope the devs are reading this topic and realize they have to add military functions for the smaller players. it should not take weeks and months before a player can have fun matching wits against other players in game play. the sandbox mentality used by the devs gives lack of incentive for continue game play...all that is keeping alot of the players logging in is the social aspect of the game making it a slanted chat game with limited game play.  military needs to be not as damaging in warfare and there is several things the devs can change to encourage and make this play style a fun part of the game without losing the social aspect of the game. we should not be totally dependent of the devs pushing out a new tournament or the opening of broken lands. games like this must be more player against player or otherwise they get stale and controlled by a certain game style that insures the social aspect over the game aspect. hence we get a group encouraging non military against a pro military group. time to get active devs, make a decision and support the game, please dont just add click click click game functions but functions that we actually have to use our thought process....active factions and pathfinding would be a good start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic