Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMilitary for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 04:02
This is one way to play. There are many.

Illy is a friendly game and "even if" you want to be a combat oriented player, as long as you aren't a moron about it you'll remain relatively free of "random" destruction, regardless of size.

When I began I was leary of the military side of the game because I just didn't know what to expect. I got lucky and was invited into an alliance with goals that were spot on with mine. My leader (the much maligned Eternal Fire-less eternal now but I believe, at that time a good example of a militaristic leader) encouraged defence and it paid off. Things in that alliance eventually self destructed but without that introduction to Illy I'd have given up from boredom. One can "do what thou wilt" here. Take other's views into account or not. You can even be sieged to near newb status and just regrow. Illy is so very flexable.

If a new player I have some sort of connection to (a member of ~NS~, a friend of a friend or whatever) asks for weapons I will send them. I won't do that randomly, in GC but that's just me. I see absolutely no problem with it. What's the worst that can happen? Some Crowfederalist, or H? tyrant smacks them around? So what? Some unalligned player attacks them? So what? Even if they get sieged to zero, so what? It's a friggen game. Start over, give up or cry in GC and have a war started over your dumb ass. So what? Play as you want to play. The consequences of your actions, as uninteresting in one extreme or downright brutal in another are just digits. Log out and have dinner.
Bonfyr Verboo
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 22:44
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Originally posted by Ossian Ossian wrote:

Once you choose the pathway of the warrior in Illy other bigger bored players will see you as such and will be looking for any excuse to attack you.  So if you want the buzz that goes with building your army then that is all good... but be prepared for the down when half a dozen players suddenly rush to destroy it. 

If anybody did try that there would be a dozen players suddenly rushing to destroy the annoying half dozen.  

I think those are the players he was talking about...
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 22:25
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Good opening post but just remember be smart with your diplomacy.

Building armies can be great fun. It's the commander that  counts in the first instance; your units second and how you use them third.

Once you choose the pathway of the warrior in Illy other bigger bored players will see you as such and will be looking for any excuse to attack you.  So if you want the buzz that goes with building your army then that is all good... but be prepared for the down when half a dozen players suddenly rush to destroy it. 

Ok thats just flat out wrong in Illy.  There are a few jerks but they would attack no matter what, and when they do there is a pretty strong newb friendly environment to help them out.  

There isn't any 'half a dozen players suddenly' rushing to destroy any new players.  If anybody did try that there would be a dozen players suddenly rushing to destroy the annoying half dozen.  

I have seen more occurrences over the space of this past year where new players were deemed "Trolls" by frequent GC'ers and then subsequently sieged for being "trollish" instead of being blocked. I suppose these actions are a bit like giving a mentally ill person electric shocks in hopes that one day he will be "cleansed".

with that said, I agree that new players should not be discouraged from following an aggressive military path.
Eternal Fire
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 13:42

Building armies can be great fun. It's the commander that  counts in the first instance; your units second and how you use them third.

Ok thats just flat out wrong in Illy.  There are a few jerks but they would attack no matter what, and when they do there is a pretty strong newb friendly environment to help them out.  

There isn't any 'half a dozen players suddenly' rushing to destroy any new players.  If anybody did try that there would be a dozen players suddenly rushing to destroy the annoying half dozen.  

Also sense most people just look at city size, they would have no idea if you chose the 'warrior', the trade path, the craft path ect.  
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 12:37

Edited by Ossian - 24 Jun 2013 at 12:38
st aug View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 19:38
Great post. I see nothing with a player building an army and learning how to use them from the get go. Not everyone is going to play this game for years and wait to play. For some people   the best way to learn anything is just do it. If you think there making a mistake let them make it and learn remember it's there game to play not yours. I know there's a lot of people that just love to help people and that is fine but they have to understand some people don't need are want there help and wish to build an army for jump street and go for broke. That should be ok so let them play and learn even if it is the hard way. And if they do something there not suppose to do don't worrie some body will check them on it.

Edited by st aug - 23 Jun 2013 at 19:49
tansiraine View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 18:07
With that being said Twi the newbies need to know the expense of an army.. i is all great for stuff to be handed to them but if they do not understand the expense to make and support and army they will be begging for gold from every one.. so all parts of the military building is needed including how to support the troops with out begging for help
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 17:52
with the new build times for troops its very important for newbies to learn military quickly. there are several military training alliances around to help. with alliances helping  newbies to take  castles of quitters, build time is becoming less an issue. the more experience military player are seeing the impact that smaller accounts can do in warfare as we are learning that not all buildings are needed to make war cities and amazing amounts of troops. its important to learn this aspect of the game and the sooner the better.
tansiraine View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 17:08
I have no issue for new player to have an army... I believe they need to build all the parts to get the army not have it handed to them.  I was killing NPC early with spear men.. just to learn.. but No one handed me the items to do it.  I think the city needs to be big enough to support the army.. and have the proper buildings to make the t2 resources to produce the troops.. 

I tend to lean to build your storehouse.. keep you resources at pop level ( 100 pop 100 resource per hr) And in the other time build your T2 buildings make 25 at a time.. learn not just the military part of killing the target but the requirements to make the troops.. when you are that small and see how long it takes and how much of the little resources you have I believe it gives you a little more respect for the time and effort it takes to make a decent size army and less likely to throw it away.

granted this is only my 2 cents worth
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 07:24
I love the idea of new players starting their military early.  I did much to the displeasure to a certain nameless person in the training alliance I was in.  

Its a good time to learn all about NPC hunting.  Plus only having 1 city the game doesn't have a lot to do.  A little more now thx to crafting, but you can't do much gathering without an army to mark your spot which brings us back to military.  

I'm wholly against small players using military against other players though (exception being your in an alliance that goes to war).  Honestly all they would end up doing is getting themselves into trouble.  I much prefer our 'newb' friendly environment that protects them till they get more experience with the game.  If someone uses their first 100 units to attack the next smallest player to them you can bet the friendly part of the game will go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic