Topic Closed05Apr13 - Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 03:48
The ability to change armor in the field would also have relevance to the types that offer defense against specific troop types.  It is possible to make a good guess on the type of troop that will be arriving based on its movement speed.  If equipment could be changed out in the field, then it diminishes the strategy involved in predicting beforehand what types of units might be attacking.  Of course, units can be added to slow down cavalry to make it look like not cavalry, but it is hard to speed up spears to make them look like cav.

Some people might see this as even more fun and an argument for maintaining 8-10 different sets of armor, at least for commanders.  I am not sure that is the case.

If the ability to change equipment were introduced, one option would be to limit it to once every 12 hours or something like that, to avoid people changing out for every army incoming to a siege camp, for example.  (If that is determined to be undesirable.)
Grainne View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 03:59
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

If the ability to change equipment were introduced, one option would be to limit it to once every 12 hours or something like that, to avoid people changing out for every army incoming to a siege camp, for example.  (If that is determined to be undesirable.)
I think that's an excellent penalty--makes sense.  A quick glance at wiki (yes I know, a deplorable "source") includes the following as squire's job:  
  • Replacing the knight's sword if it were broken or dropped,
  • Replacing the knight's horse or his own horse, if either be injured or killed,
  • Dressing the knight in his armor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire
The more I think about it, I can't imagine a smart commander setting off to war with a single spear!  Especially when travelling great distances for lengthy occupations...  
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 04:02
One question would be whether the army would need to "carry" all the spare equipment, thus making it unavailable for other armies.  The ability to switch equipment instantly between armies hundreds of squares apart would mean that people might choose to maintain smaller supplies of equipment -- especially since you could conceivably prestige caravans carrying equipment between cities and use one set for armies from multiple cities.  It seems unlikely that most people would go to that kind of trouble, but I'm sure someone would do it someday.
Grainne View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 04:13
Wow!  Maybe we're looking at this all wrong and it should be a "magic" research?  Wink
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 04:37
Rill, in the city reinforcement example, it's impossible to guess ahead of time how the city will be attacked. The exception is if the attack is enroute and you are close enough to switch gear prior to dispatching reinforcements. That doesn't seem to happen very often.

I don't see anything wrong with a player watching an incoming army, guessing its composition, and then re-arranging gear. You can do that inside your own city, so why not in the field? Rotating gear is exactly what any good commander would do. I also think it's reasonable that an army might switch to War Axes for a sally forth, and then back to terrain or defensive weapons to continue protecting the city. It's also reasonable that your infantry would stable their riding horses once they'd reached the destination, rather than risking them in battle, especially inside the walls of a friendly city.

I think it's reasonable that the army or commander would need to take all the gear with them. Perhaps the drop rate on stored gear in the field could be 100%, thus allowing your opponents to recover treasure from your baggage train.

Even if the option were restricted to Commanders, I think it's cool and adds some additional flavor to deploying crafted items.
BetaMatt View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 06:48
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

Trade Hubs
If you tried to send a trader to a trade hub where your faction standing was too low to interact with, you would be prevented, but lose the trader. This has now been corrected and you will not lose the trader anymore.

I'm glad to see this as I was confused and upset when I lost my first trader a few months ago (my capital is a few squares north of Blackbriar). The market in this game is awesome and I nearly missed out on it because of this.

Speaking of trade please take a look at my suggestion here: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/buy-sell-order-calculations-and-clarifications_topic4753.html

abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 07:29
I am ambivalent about switching gear. It seems way too much for troops but feasable for commanders, however there should be a limit. Perhaps a checkbox when doing the original equiping, wherein one could select a second set to bring along. I suppose if this were the case the skill required could be stepped up and allow the "squire" to bring more with higher skill levels.

The automatic stabling of riding horses in a friendly city during reinforcement is a great idea. I think this might be limited as well, though. You could allow this to work only if the friendly city has the horse trainer building?
Bonfyr Verboo
lethargic0N3 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:46
Carry additional sets of equipment for commanders would surely slow them down possibly per set and the logistics involved in carry additional sets for a whole army would slow them to near siege speeds.

Would we also take into account the time it takes to change a full set or armor.. with the possibility that that they are still changing when the attack arrives... and the reduced stats from being half prepared

Edited by lethargic0N3 - 05 Apr 2013 at 10:47
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:53
Equipment: Yes, I reported that bug at the last tournament ;o)
It was 'useful' in that you could act upon latest scout reports and change your equipment while your army was en-route: perhaps you could remove the equipment if you foresaw certain defeat, or add equipment if you forgot to do so before sending.

I'd support 'overloading' equipment, so that a choice can be made in the battlefield.
Minor point: There's then a tricky simulation question of when opposing armies change equipment. Given that our simulation is fairly simple, and presents only limited opportunities for 'phases' for decisions, we could have a situation where both sides change equipment, based on what they see of their enemy, and are no better off after the change.

I suggest that scouts (as a contingent in the army) play a part it making a good assessment of the enemy capability, and therefore be required to enable the changing of equipment.

Being well-equipped might have effects:
  • contribute to the confidence of an army.
  • make the army slower, unless supporting units are used. I like squires, but divisional unit allocation might become complicated if we're not careful. Do we really need squires, or should they be integral to the unit type, e.g. T2 Cavalry already require two horses: is that intended as a choice at the stables, or a redundancy in the field?
If a unit is killed, you'd lose all its equipment, of course.

Edited by Albatross - 05 Apr 2013 at 12:59
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 17:41
Changing armour is fine, and should be possible. Teleporting it out to an army in the field, however, seems a bit strange. 
I like the squire idea - maybe  the squire would be able to carry a limited number (say three) extra sets of equipment? Obviously, if the army suffers defeat, all equipment would be lost, though the unequipped should have a higher chance of getting salvaged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic