Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed11AUG12 - MAJOR RELEASE (Trade)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11AUG12 - MAJOR RELEASE (Trade)
    Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 16:05
Another example of the way that Illy has 'soft limits' - you can just raise something to manageable levels, but then there is usually a way to squeeze more out of your city, at disproportionate cost and considerable compromise to other aspects of your game.
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 15:34
Originally posted by nitin2011 nitin2011 wrote:

1. I have this vetted till 8th trader, i am assuming 9th and on-wards will follow the same logic (wine is kind of hard to get in double digits)
2. 10 traders is easy, I am talking about 15 or 20 traders - if series continue it seems next to impossible to build 20.

But how come something that is possible (like 20 traders) is unfair because it's "next to impossible"?  There are lot's of impossible things in the game (11 cities/player, 41 caravans/city, 6 commanders/city, etc...).  The list is very long.  Wouldn't it get tiring if players were to post that each impossible things was unfair simply because they had set a goal beyond the limit?

If you want 20 traders, rejoice!  It's a lot more possible to get 20 traders than it is to get 21 and the devs could have as easily limited the number of traders to 10. Smile

nitin2011 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 15:22
Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

it's apparently not a true fibonacci, nitin -- it will level off

What do you mean its not true fibonacci - I can find wine cost escalating as below?

1st trader - 0 wine
2nd trader - 1 wine
3rd trader - 1 wine (1 + 0)
4th trader - 2 wine (1 + 1)
5th trader - 3 wine (2 + 1)
6th trader - 5 wine (3 + 2)
7th trader - 8 wine (5 + 3)
8th trader - 13 wine (8 + 5)
9th trader - 21 wine (13 + 8)
10th trader - 34 wine (21 + 13)

So to build 10 traders one will need total of 88 wine

Ouch

Two questions:

1)  I can verify this is correct up to the 6th, but how do you know this continues as a fibonacci up to the 10th?

2) In regards to "fairness" I would assume you would be referring to a players ability to acquire 10 traders.  The price of wine is dropping, so it may be a fibonacci in terms of wine units but if you can acquire those units at lower and lower cost, then from the standpoint of a player's ability to acquire the units it's rise is less than that of a true fibonacci series.  You must also assume that each trader allows you to acquire either goods, gold or both more easily (at lower cost) so from that perspective each wine unit get's even less expensive than the market average (further dropping the differential from that of a fibonacci series).  Even so, I'm not sure why a fibonacci series isn't "fair" as it's the same for everyone and mathematically elegant?

1. I have this vetted till 8th trader, i am assuming 9th and on-wards will follow the same logic (wine is kind of hard to get in double digits)
2. 10 traders is easy, I am talking about 15 or 20 traders - if series continue it seems next to impossible to build 20.

Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 14:45

What do you mean its not true fibonacci - I can find wine cost escalating as below?

1st trader - 0 wine
2nd trader - 1 wine

Ouch

Two questions:

1)  I can verify this is correct up to the 6th, but how do you know this continues as a fibonacci up to the 10th?

2) In regards to "fairness" I would assume you would be referring to a players ability to acquire 10 traders.  The price of wine is dropping, so it may be a fibonacci in terms of wine units but if you can acquire those units at lower and lower cost, then from the standpoint of a player's ability to acquire the units it's rise is less than that of a true fibonacci series.  You must also assume that each trader allows you to acquire either goods, gold or both more easily (at lower cost) so from that perspective each wine unit get's even less expensive than the market average (further dropping the differential from that of a fibonacci series).  Even so, I'm not sure why a fibonacci series isn't "fair" as it's the same for everyone and mathematically elegant?

nitin2011 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 23:04

1st trader - 0 wine
2nd trader - 1 wine

Ouch

ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 20:37
Originally posted by gameplayer gameplayer wrote:

, i noticed in your chat that you were considering allowing alliances to restrict who can buy....bad idea....this is an old server and its already controlled by a few older players, too many naps and confederations, now trading of certain rare items is going to be controlled by them by  too, a player will have no choice but to join them and be controlled by all their silly rules of how to play, we already seeing players joining these over- powerful groups to have access to rare items, trade might be the only way independent players might be able to obtain them.....i hate lemmings

Then do something about the older players and power bloc alliances instead of complaining about them, unless you are actively doing something about them to which I withdraw this statement.

@Devs,
thank you, I wish there was a way to change the factional standings when this was released, but I trust it is not far off. Thank you again. 
Eternal Fire
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 20:18
nitin2011 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 12:24
A fibonacci series for trader .. this is not fair ... :(
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 12:52
, i noticed in your chat that you were considering allowing alliances to restrict who can buy....bad idea....this is an old server and its already controlled by a few older players, too many naps and confederations, now trading of certain rare items is going to be controlled by them by  too, a player will have no choice but to join them and be controlled by all their silly rules of how to play, we already seeing players joining these over- powerful groups to have access to rare items, trade might be the only way independent players might be able to obtain them.....i hate lemmings
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:25

Looks like I cannot modify my orders at hub, I have completed "Efficient Trading" research ?
You can modify sell orders (as they are the only ones you pay tax on), on the Sell offers page of the Faction hubs. This is where it shows only your offers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic