FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed22Mar12 - Tournament Close

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 02:31
Fantastic tournament :) Very very messy but great fun...
I'd like to congratulate Victrix and Absaroke on their finishing positions. Truly impressive.
The Fremorn epic was amazing as well. Such a contest all the way to the last few hours.
Good fun was had in Tor Carrock even if we did hit a H? brick wall lol...
Thanks to the Devs for a great contest. Already looking forward to the next one :)  
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 06:35
I'll put this out there for everyone to shoot down, what if we had a Tournament similar to this one but the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd were reversed? Not only would you need to watch 4th place and below but you would need to keep an eye on 2nd and 1st and adjust your tactics to maintain 3rd position. It goes against every notion of coming first. I'll admit, I just thought of this so it probably has flaws but hey, I'm used to copping it in the Forums. Thoughts anyone!
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by Daefis Daefis wrote:

Fantastic tournament :) Very very messy but great fun...
Good fun was had in Tor Carrock even if we did hit a H? brick wall lol...

We prefer to think of ourselves as a soft, spongy, tempurpedic type wall... ;)
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 16:02
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

soft, spongy, tempurpedic type wall... ;)

*thoughts that definition would fit well to define the Heart of Corruption(s)*
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 17:09
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

I'll put this out there for everyone to shoot down, what if we had a Tournament similar to this one but the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd were reversed? Not only would you need to watch 4th place and below but you would need to keep an eye on 2nd and 1st and adjust your tactics to maintain 3rd position. It goes against every notion of coming first. I'll admit, I just thought of this so it probably has flaws but hey, I'm used to copping it in the Forums. Thoughts anyone!
Hummmm - This is an intriguing thought.  It would require a lot more strategy, but could not be controlled 100% by force...  ...would possibly need misinformation, false attacks, etc.

Perhaps (to delve into this further) another thread could be set up just to discuss the dynamics of this proposal.  I would be interested in such a tournament!  (^_^)

Edited by SunStorm - 23 Mar 2012 at 17:12
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Turtie View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 23:47
Originally posted by Sister Nikki Sister Nikki wrote:

Just to answer H? participated and haven't bully anyone.

well, when an alliance such as H? has a virtually unbreakable lead, rolls over to a square that has a very close battle for 1st, 2nd, and third. . .one might construe that as 'bullying'
but hey -- we all have our opinions

sorry if you feel slighted, but you had all ready clearly won the overall. . .
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 14:57
Originally posted by Turtie Turtie wrote:

.well, when an alliance such as H? has a virtually unbreakable lead

Clearly you are not very familiar with how this game works. When a city maxes out its buildings, it cannot grow more. And there is a hard ceiling on how many cities you can have. There is also a hard ceiling on how many members you can have in an alliance. Therefore, less than 100 accounts are going to be very rapidly passed by other alliances (or conglomerates there of) that have more than 100 accounts.

How then can anyone in the game have a "virtually unbreakable lead"?

The whole "H? are bullies" thing is so unoriginal and tiring. We compete to win. We competed to win as many squares as possible in the tourney. As should everyone. And we are utterly unapologetic about it. Quite the opposite. We are proud of what our members accomplished. And for you to label it bullying is just frankly poor sportsmanship.

Edited by Kumomoto - 26 Mar 2012 at 14:57
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 15:57
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

The whole "H? are bullies" thing is so unoriginal and tiring. We compete to win. We competed to win as many squares as possible in the tourney. As should everyone. And we are utterly unapologetic about it. Quite the opposite. We are proud of what our members accomplished. And for you to label it bullying is just frankly poor sportsmanship.

H? is correct to maximize their victory.  My complaint is not against H? for competing fairly.  My complaint is that the tourney design pitted RES against H? (or VIC, etc) - which is not a competition at all. Ouch
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Turtie Turtie wrote:

well, when an alliance such as H? has a virtually unbreakable lead, rolls over to a square that has a very close battle for 1st, 2nd, and third. . .one might construe that as 'bullying'
but hey -- we all have our opinions

sorry if you feel slighted, but you had all ready clearly won the overall. . .

That is a very skewed perspective. It was not as if all the alliances in Ursor were tiny ones, who didn't stand a chance before H. 

The regions around Ursor - Ragallon and Windlost were held by H and were lightly contested during the first half of the tourney (H lost less than 50K troops each I believe). Some squares were already won by the first half, the alliances holding those were shifting their focus onto the rest of the places where they still had a chance to win. 

From the casualties in Ursor, it was evident that the leading alliances there were much weakened (more than 570K till then). Ursor shouldn't have come as a surprise. If you guys had considered the possibility of the arrival of H and played accordingly, one of you could have won the square. I'd say, Ursor was gifted to H.

Again, if you look at the squares of Ragallon, Windlost and Qarroslan, you will see that all the remaining time after H, it was held by Crows. Crows had lead only on one square - just one - and they came third overall, leaving behind even those alliances who won on three squares. Kudos to them. There was more at play than numbers and bruteforce. 

abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 04:14
I had fun and sadness and excitement and dashed hopes. This was a great competition and even though TLR won no prizes we learned some things and did a whole lot better than I figured we would at the outset.

Ursor was well contested. First VIC came at us and then Champs and then Peace and PATH. I assumed H? would be along in time to win it and we planned our final push just right to get enough time to take first before they got there. Well, it would have been just right if we had managed to keep the square but we didn't.

I have no complaints. I have nothing bad to say about H? I would have been happy to finish second to them in Ursor. They ARE huge and very well organized and intelligently led. In a year or so TLR could be as powerful, if we dedicate ourselves to growing as such. Any alliance can. 100 members with 100k pop each would be larger than they are now. Of course they wont stop growing either. Strategy is required to defeat a larger enemy. Sour grapes wont do it.

Edited by abstractdream - 27 Mar 2012 at 04:16
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic