FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed22Mar12 - Tournament Close

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 13:34
I think that this increased number of tourney spots brought a very good result. we saw Smaller alliances offering good competition to bigger  ones on various spots, and for ranks

Im still personnally against leagues, and HM developped well the reasons which are also the ones i would evoke.

For me, the 1 spot per region is very good, but there should be more rewards distributed. For exemple a variety of decreasing rewards from rank 1 to rank 20 for overall occupation time. Or also rewards given not only to the winner on each spot, but also to rank 2 and 3 on each spot (but of course rewards decreasng from rank 1 to rank 3, per spot).

I some times ago evoked to eventually create leagues for rewards only, while still allowing all size of alliances to fight for the same spots. (e.g. rewards for Top 3 in top 10 allainces, rewards for Top 3 in top 11-20, etc...). Though im thinking it might still encourage the migration of opportunists HM evoked.

So, anyway, important thing in my opinion, in that there should be more rewards, an/or a larger variety of them, to permit smaller alliances to not hopelessly fight for them.
I agree Alliances which didnt get rewards will say the tourney was pretty funny, that it permited them to position themselves comparatively to other alliances, work on the organisation, make plans to get better, etc... but a physical and official reward for their efforts should leave a better feeling at the end of the tourney.

Edited by Mandarins31 - 30 Mar 2012 at 13:39
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:55
It is unlikely that SunStorm is sucking up to Harmless in hopes of an invite, as he is already a member. Tongue

I do hope that Merpdarsh realizes there is no need for himself nor Turtie to tread overly cautiously in our presence.  Even if Turtie had been expressing some bitterness over the tournament outcome, it would be wholly forgivable so briefly following that disappointment.  We know other players truly hold a grudge, even while expertly hiding behind admirable poker faces (diplomacy at its finest, really).

Originally posted by SunStorm SunStorm wrote:

My jest regarding the generalization was that he said everybody missed the point but I had already posted that I agreed with him.  So obviously not everyone missed it.  (^_^)  That was all.
Ah, but then it is a generalization, making one or two exceptions wholly inadequate as counterexample.  Exceptions are allowed.

This was the first tournament in about two years into which Harmless could properly sink our teeth, and I'd be hard-pressed to promote any change that would diminish the scope of our opposition or room for ambition.  But I must admit that at least a couple or three league divisions would have allowed broader near-full enjoyment.

I can think of one good reason why this did not occur, however.  Smaller leagues would have considerable room for growth by adding members, which would have resulted in ganking in the lower leagues as opportunists joined up with whomever appeared best situated for local or league wins.  As a result, competition would have been substantially decreased and for many it would have either still been hopeless or turned into a sitting, waiting game.  As it was, for us it was just that sometimes.  The ganking problem may have been fixable, but in ways that would upset and exclude people and/or simply involved a lot of extra database-housed logic or complicated rules (i.e. no joining of alliances during the tournament, or limits based on league designation, or league assignment changes based on changing total population).  Such rules would in turn allow a lot of exploitation or letdowns as well (splitting alliances into regions to gank local competitions at lower leagues, accidentally getting stuck in an upper league level if it can't be lowered, etc.).

League divisions would theoretically be better, but a lot harder to do right and possibly not doable at all.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Prometheuz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:44
Reading through this thread I get the impression that Sunny and Noki are trying hard to be noticed or accepted by H? Perhaps they pray for an invitation to be sent in the mail?

As for me . All I can hope for is an envelope full of poodle poo through the letter box LOL
SugarFree View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 07:05
sunstorm, YMMV but there is no definite truth.
truth is different for every person.
missing the point? well those people have a point actually, just as you have.
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 06:29
Originally posted by Merpdarsh Merpdarsh wrote:

I think everyone is taking Turtie's remark way out of context. The whole "bully" comment is a playful jest merely to indicate that as a much larger alliance that already had a commanding lead, they could have just left a square for the "minnows" such as Champ and Path to fight over. Before we respond to this statement as a singularity, please let me elaborate. As a fairly young player in this game, it was mildly demoralizing spending weeks fighting over a square only to have the hordes of H come in at the last second to comically take it once and hold for the duration to win it out. 

Are we saying what they did was wrong? No. It's within the construct of the game, and I have a great admiration and respect for the size and ability of the players in H? but consider the small glimmer of hope that we poor folk had in our non-military oriented trade alliance and how close we were to taking that square only do have it dashed against the rocks in the final days. It was to some degree demoralizing and in some others inspiring. This tournament and that level of power, if you will, displayed by H? actually re-inspired me within the game.

I know that Turtie means no ill-will toward H? or any of their members. Fair play for sure. His use of the word "punk" and "bully" should not be misconstrued as carrying a caustic connotation and were off the cuff remarks merely pointing out that we felt like the little kids on the playground having our ball stolen from us by the big kids. Put in our place, perhaps? We understand it's the way of the world (Illyriad of course). 

Great tournament. As I said, it revitalized my interest in Illy, and I can now try to be more prepared for whatever the next challenge will be.

Cheers,
-Merp

PS. I don't speak for Turtie, but after a lot of other conversations with him in AC, I'm fairly certain he didn't mean it the way it's being taken.
Merp,

I truly appreciate your thoroughly thought out and wonderfully articulated response.  <----(Sometimes flattery sounds sarcastic, but this is not.  I wish more people put as much thought into their forum posts.)

I wasn't trying to belittle Turtie's response and I know he meant no harm by the post.  As a matter of fact, I feel it is valid and I agree that league squares would have been 10x better.

My jest regarding the generalization was that he said everybody missed the point but I had already posted that I agreed with him.  So obviously not everyone missed it.  (^_^)  That was all.
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Merpdarsh View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 06:01
I think everyone is taking Turtie's remark way out of context. The whole "bully" comment is a playful jest merely to indicate that as a much larger alliance that already had a commanding lead, they could have just left a square for the "minnows" such as Champ and Path to fight over. Before we respond to this statement as a singularity, please let me elaborate. As a fairly young player in this game, it was mildly demoralizing spending weeks fighting over a square only to have the hordes of H come in at the last second to comically take it once and hold for the duration to win it out. 

Are we saying what they did was wrong? No. It's within the construct of the game, and I have a great admiration and respect for the size and ability of the players in H? but consider the small glimmer of hope that we poor folk had in our non-military oriented trade alliance and how close we were to taking that square only do have it dashed against the rocks in the final days. It was to some degree demoralizing and in some others inspiring. This tournament and that level of power, if you will, displayed by H? actually re-inspired me within the game.

I know that Turtie means no ill-will toward H? or any of their members. Fair play for sure. His use of the word "punk" and "bully" should not be misconstrued as carrying a caustic connotation and were off the cuff remarks merely pointing out that we felt like the little kids on the playground having our ball stolen from us by the big kids. Put in our place, perhaps? We understand it's the way of the world (Illyriad of course). 

Great tournament. As I said, it revitalized my interest in Illy, and I can now try to be more prepared for whatever the next challenge will be.

Cheers,
-Merp

PS. I don't speak for Turtie, but after a lot of other conversations with him in AC, I'm fairly certain he didn't mean it the way it's being taken.
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 02:54
Originally posted by Turtie Turtie wrote:

I hope the next 'king-of-the-hill' style tourney has some type of league system. . .

Clap

It seems everybody missed the real gripe -- 
Originally posted by SunStorm SunStorm wrote:

Awesome Tournament --
Had a blast runnin' with my pack
I hope the next 'king-of-the-hill' style tourney has some type of league system. . .
It was a great battle in Ursor for example between a few alliances. . .only to be bullied out in the last week by [H?] <-- punks. . .
Awesome first post!  (>.<)

But I also agree that league squares would be better. 

Your generalization is invalid. 
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Turtie View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 01:27

Clap

It seems everybody missed the real gripe -- 
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 19:28
You Harmless-haters are really bad losers. They have the right to some fun too, you know!
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 04:14
I had fun and sadness and excitement and dashed hopes. This was a great competition and even though TLR won no prizes we learned some things and did a whole lot better than I figured we would at the outset.

Ursor was well contested. First VIC came at us and then Champs and then Peace and PATH. I assumed H? would be along in time to win it and we planned our final push just right to get enough time to take first before they got there. Well, it would have been just right if we had managed to keep the square but we didn't.

I have no complaints. I have nothing bad to say about H? I would have been happy to finish second to them in Ursor. They ARE huge and very well organized and intelligently led. In a year or so TLR could be as powerful, if we dedicate ourselves to growing as such. Any alliance can. 100 members with 100k pop each would be larger than they are now. Of course they wont stop growing either. Strategy is required to defeat a larger enemy. Sour grapes wont do it.

Edited by abstractdream - 27 Mar 2012 at 04:16
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic