Topic Closedmultiple accounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
joekewl View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: multiple accounts
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 22:35
I find it surprising that this game allows for multiple accounts. I can only assume it is because it is new and you want it to appear that there are more players than there actually is.

I have played a lot of games like this one and I have never heard of such a thing. Having more than one account will get you banned in every other game out there.

I dont like this policy at all.

After thinking a little more I suppose this policy could also be to have more villages so that there is more activity and theoretically making it more fun. Either way I still dont like it.

Edited by joekewl - 07 Apr 2010 at 22:52
Lorna Doone View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 23:23
i have one computer at home

both my husband and I play this game

so, ty for trying to screw it up for us joe!

gms - don't listen to this guy...!
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 23:42
Well, Lorna has put it reasonably succinctly (if a bit abruptly).

Data is hard to come by, but a 2007 UCLA survey showed that (in the US) whilst nearly 80% of households had at least one computer, only some 25% had more than one computer.

We know that multiple members of a household often want to play the same game, and this is especially true if it's a browser-based MMO one, because concurrency of access isn't so critical (ie it's not like trying to play 2 WoW accounts on one computer!).  So households with only one PC gravitate to MMOs like Illyriad if they want to play the same game.

Until we have multiple server instances up and running we didn't want to limit one-PC households from playing.

However, it is distinctly possible that Server 2 (and servers thereafter) will have a one-account restriction, but we're a way away from there.

We are, however, actively monitoring usage of the multiple account system, especially regarding the rule "2. Towns set up largely for the purpose of sending resources to your primary town are not permitted. If you infringe this rule you will receive a warning, and if you continue to infringe this rule, a suspension or ban."  and we expect to come out with some concrete guidelines on what entails "largely for the purpose of sending resources".   iirc, Travian used to define this as 'sending no more than 1 hours worth of your city's production to the same city in a 24hr period', and this might be the route we go down.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 07 Apr 2010 at 23:42
joekewl View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 23:54
haha, ok, if thats how you want to call it. Its not about multiple people... there are provisions for that as well. Its about multiple accounts per person. It is a difficult thing to police but I know of several players with more than one account. They are the same player not spouses or roommates.

Edited by joekewl - 08 Apr 2010 at 00:06
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 08:02
Originally posted by joekewl joekewl wrote:

haha, ok, if thats how you want to call it. Its not about multiple people... there are provisions for that as well. Its about multiple accounts per person. It is a difficult thing to police but I know of several players with more than one account. They are the same player not spouses or roommates.

It's not "a difficult thing to police", joe - it's an impossible thing to police if an individual is determined to run multiple accounts on the same server - and pretty much any game (that doesn't require a client download or licence key system) that tells you otherwise is simply not being truthful.  I think you'd be surprised at the number of players with multiple accounts on the same server in games that supposedly "enforce" a single account rule.

So yes, we could have put in an unenforcable, arbitrary rule that "people can't have multiple accounts on the same server" when both we - and they - know this is in practical terms an impossible rule to monitor or enforce.  Or we did as we did, bit the bullet and said "we permit this on this server" which is what we preferred to do.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 08 Apr 2010 at 08:03
joekewl View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:52
I know people steal and that its hard to stop them but I want a law against it anyway. Most crimes are solved by tips...

No game ever says its easy to catch them but because its hard doesnt mean you condone it.
Telemikus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:05
Hola,

Also most of the players from Webfusion all play on the same IP address.

If this was limited most of us wouldn't be able to log on :(
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:05
heh, understood Joe.

As I say, I think corp will change the rules to one account only for later servers. But what do I know :)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:06
Originally posted by Telemikus Telemikus wrote:

Hola,

Also most of the players from Webfusion all play on the same IP address.

If this was limited most of us wouldn't be able to log on :(

Hey Telemikus,

Just borrow the server's IP address - we can't block that one WinkBig smile

EDIT: For those who don't know, Webfusion are our (truly wonderful, excellent, beyond compare) server provider and hosting company for the gameservers.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 08 Apr 2010 at 12:07
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 14:23
joekewl, it's not hard, it's impossible.  Rules that only restrain the honest do nothing but widen the competitive advantage cheaters have over honest players.  While many honest players hail from the same IP address, cheaters will have no qualms taking the measures needed to bounce different accounts through different proxies--many of which could be privately and invisibly run on residential IPs indistinguishable from that of any other honest single player.

The only reasonable reactions the devs can pursue are:
 - Disallow in-game activities that bring multi-account benefits to fruition (no feeder accounts).
 - Heuristically search for patterns that multiple lone accounts are run by the same entity or scripting system.  Multiple lone accounts that are actually maintained by hand generally still cannot be discovered, but are at least limited by the capacity of the cheater's hands-on efforts.

Running two accounts is hard but everyone can do it.  Three is getting dicey...I have my hands full  with one.  The rule honestly seems strange to me even--but it bears far less importance than we would project upon it, if you take enforceability into account.  Pragmatically, it's far better to give honest players free reign to achieve accomplishment more comparable to what cheating can net.  At least that makes cheating a less lucrative proposition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic