Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStep by Step Guide to Harvesting Resources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step by Step Guide to Harvesting Resources
    Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 21:45
Research Needed
Step 1: Click on an empty plot in your city and build a library.

Step 2: When you have enough research points available, move your mouse over the green Research button on the menu, then select the "Available to Research" side button. Research Haggling.

Buildings Needed
Step 1: When your Haggling research is finished and when you have enough resources to do so, click on an empty plot in your city and build a Marketplace.

Step 2: Once built, click on the Marketplace. Click on the Production seal in the upper right-hand corner. If you have completed the tutorial and the gift caravan from the King has arrived, then you have the needed resources to make some caravans. Under Production Orders, type in the number of caravans you wish to make and click on the Make button. You can have up to a total of 5 caravans until you upgrade your marketplace and do further Trade research.

If you didn't complete the tutorial, then you need 10 gold and 1 horse to make each caravan. The gold will be produced from taxes. To make a horse, click on your Paddock. Upgrade it to level 1. When the upgrade is finished, click on the Production seal in the upper right-hand corner. Under Production Orders, type in the number of horses you wish to make and click on the Make button.

Harvesting Resources
Depending on the browser or device you use to play the game, you may be using the old World Map or the new World Map. Some symbols are different between them. On the old map, the symbol for a caravan is the donkey that you see under your Marketplace's production orders page  . On the new map, it's a wagon .

Step 1: Click on the World Map icon in the menu bar. Click on the tower icon in the center of the compass to make sure the map is centered on your town.

Step 2: It's easier to see resources if you turn off the terrain on the map. On the old map, you can turn off Terrain by clicking on the Option tab, clicking to remove the check mark next to Terrain on the list, and then clicking on the Option tab to close it. On the new map, look for Terrain under Graphics at the bottom of the map and click on the box next to it to remove the Terrain graphics.

You may wish to remove more of the map graphics by removing the check marks, but you'll need to leave the Resources checked. I'd strongly advise you leave the Moving Units and Encampments checked as well so you can see if another caravan is about to arrive at the resource or if an army is encamped on the spot. (Your caravan will die if you send it to a square with an army encamped on it.)

Step 3: Look for food   , gold   , wood   , clay   , iron   , and stone    icons. If someone is already harvesting a resource, you will see a caravan right next to the resource--on the same square--and it isn't moving. Use the arrows on the compass to move around the World Map to find a resource. The further from your town, the longer it will take for your caravan to get to the resource.

Step 4: When you have found a resource, click on that square. A menu will come up with a graphic of the resource, an "Abandoned ______" description, and the option to Harvest Resources. On the new map, a caravan wagon icon will appear below the resource icon if a caravan is already harvesting that resource. To harvest the resource, click on the "Harvest Resource" option.

Step 5: You will be taken to the Send Harvesting Mission page. Type in the number of caravans you wish to send to that resource and click on Send. The caravan will go to the spot, harvest the resources, and return without further instructions from you. Your caravan will stay on the resource square until it's finished harvesting as much as it can, until interrupted by another player's caravan or replaced by one of your own caravans, or you send a messenger to recall it (once you've researched and made a Messenger). Once your caravan returns home, it will stay there unless you send it back out.

Things to Consider
1. Your caravans will start off able to carry 200 of a resource with a harvesting speed of 200 resources an hour. The caravan will take several minutes to reach the resource square, then an hour for each caravan you send to complete its harvesting, then the return time.

If you have several resources nearby, sending out 1 caravan to 5 resource squares will get those resources back to your town faster than if you send 5 caravans to 1 resource square. This is because each caravan you send harvests in a row rather than all at once. As in, if one caravan takes an hour to harvest, then if you send 5 caravans, they will take 5 hours harvesting before they return.

2. If you're in a crowded area, you may accidentally send your caravan to a resource square where another player's caravan arrived first (even if no one was there when you sent yours). You will get a message that you "rudely interrupted" a certain player's caravans from a certain town. We call this "bumping" another person's caravan. The majority of players try to avoid purposely bumping someone else's caravans, but it happens all the time in crowded spots. No one will comment on it unless the bump looks deliberate. It never hurts for a new player to send a message saying, "I'm sorry" if it happens, though, so do so if you wish to.

3. Currently, if your caravan passes over or by an army  your caravan is not harmed. If there is an army occupying the resource square, your caravans will die when they reach the square. Don't send caravans to that square. A moving army has arrows pointing which direction it is moving. An encamped army has no arrows.

4. Each resource can have up to 3500 of the resource. You can repeatedly harvest it until it's gone. Every six hours (at 0:00, 6:00, 12:00, and 18:00 game time), there is a chance that a new resource will appear at that empty spot or on another spawn square. Spawn squares can be empty or have resources to harvest. Resources will remain on a spot through the spawn times unless completely harvested and empty before the re-spawn.

According to GM StormCrow, every 6 hours, the system checks how many spawn squares are in each region and how many resources are still remaining in that region. (A region is like Middle Kingdom or Norweld.) It then rolls a random number (up to the total number of spawn squares in the region). If the number is higher than the current number of resources, then more resources are seeded in the region. (I assume enough are added to make the total number of resources equal to the number rolled.)

Basically, regions that have their resources harvested heavily will also be the ones that have new resources more frequently appearing. In less harvested regions, the new resources are spawned less frequently, so you end up traveling further and further from your city to find resources to harvest. This is why Teleporting your capital to a less crowded region to avoid frequent bumping of your caravans isn't necessarily a good idea.

5. There's a colored flag on the side of the caravan. Currently, all caravans have yellow flags. It used to be that your caravans were blue , the caravans of your allies (if you're in an alliance) were green , caravans of players neutral toward you were yellow , and the caravans of players you're at war with were red .

6. One way to "claim" a spot once your first caravan arrives is to send a caravan to replace it before the first one starts home. Or you can send enough caravans to harvest everything on the square and hope no one bumps you. When you send a caravan out to harvest, it's travel time appears under the Movements side button of the Trade Overview menu.

Rules
There are no rules. But the following is good advice.

1. Don't send your caravans to a spot where someone else is already harvesting. Doing this on purpose and repeatedly will make your neighbors not like you.

2. The possible exception is for the resource squares that are within 2 or 3 squares distance from your city. These are generally viewed as "yours" if you want that resource. You still might want to avoid bumping your allies, though.

3. Some players will bump anyone who isn't an ally off of resources within a 10 or 20 square distance from their city (as long as the other player isn't closer to the resource). They can get their replacement caravan there more quickly than you if you choose to bump them back. If you wish, you can bump back if the bump was obviously deliberate. This tends to make things worse between the two players as each tries to get the other person to respect their caravan rights. Personally, I just find an unoccupied resource if I'm bumped. If you're uncertain if repeated bumps were deliberate, you can message the player and ask nicely if there's a problem. Usually, it's an accident or the problem can be quickly resolved.

4. A few players will place an army on a resource square to occupy it until their caravans are finished harvesting. If another player accidentally sends their caravan to the spot (since the army wasn't on the spot on the map at the time) and their caravan is killed, most players will consider this a hostile act. It probably won't result in a war, though. This is one way players deal with having their caravans repeatedly and deliberately bumped from resources near their city.

5. If a resource is on a square that another player has claimed with sovereignty, then you harvest there at your own risk. Most players don't care, but a few do. You can always send the player an in game mail and ask if it's okay to harvest on that square.

To players with sovereignty: if it really bothers you to have players harvest on your sovereignty, you can send your own caravan to bump them off. It's even more effective to send a scout to see who the caravans belong to and to send the player an in game mail asking them to stop harvesting there.

To players claiming sovereignty: If you wish to claim sovereignty (or increase the level of sovereignty) on a square that has resources for harvest, check to make sure no caravans are there. If there are, use your own caravan to bump the other player's caravan off or your army will kill their caravans. When you send your army to that square, your own caravans won't be harmed. Personally, I try to claim sovereignty when there are no resources on the spot, and I also don't leave the army there longer than 10 minutes.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with my "rules," so feel free to add your own opinion to this thread.

Advanced Tips

Move your mouse over the Research menu button and click on the Research Tree side button. Click on the Trade seal. Move your mouse over the research squares to learn more about the possible research paths.

If you wish to have more caravans:
Haggling - when you finish this research, you can build a marketplace and then up to 5 caravans.

Bartering - if you have researched Haggling and have a level 5 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 5 more caravans (for a total of 10 caravans).

Trading - if you have researched Haggling and Bartering and have a level 10 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 10 more caravans (for a total of 20 caravans).

Merchantilism - if you have researched Haggling, Bartering, and Trading and have a level 15 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 10 more caravans (for a total of 30 caravans).

Cartels - if you have researched Haggling, Bartering, Trading, and Merchantilism and have a level 17 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 10 more caravans (for a total of 40 caravans).

Commerce - if you have researched Haggling, Bartering, Trading, Merchantilism, and Cartels and have a level 18 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 15 more caravans (for a total of 55 caravans).

Enterprise - if you have researched Haggling, Bartering, Trading, Merchantilism, Cartels, and Commerce and have a level 20 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows you to build 15 more caravans (for a total of 70 caravans).

If you want your caravans to hold more:
Improved Loading - if you have researched Haggling and have a level 3 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to each hold 300 resources (rather than 200).

Reinforced Cartwheels - if you have researched Haggling and Improved Loading and have a level 7 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to each hold 600 resources.

Baggage Train - if you have researched Haggling, Improved Loading, and Reinforced Cartwheels and have a level 12 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to each hold 1,000 resources.

Juggernaut - if you have researched Haggling, Improved Loading, Reinforced Cartwheels, and Baggage Train and have a level 17 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to each hold 1,500 resources.

Caravanserai - if you have researched Haggling, Bartering, Trading, Merchantilism, and Cartels and have a level 20 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to each hold 3,000 resources.

If you want your caravans to load faster when harvesting:
Chain Gang - if you have researched Haggling and have a level 4 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to harvest at 210 resources per hour (rather than 200).

Goods Pallet - if you have researched Haggling and Chain Gang and have a level 8 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to harvest at 230 resources per hour.

Loading Platform - if you have researched Haggling, Chain Gang, and Goods Pallet and have a level 13 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to harvest at 260 resources per hour.

Conveyor System - if you have researched Haggling, Chain Gang, Goods Pallet, and Loading Platform and have a level 18 marketplace, you can research this technology which allows your caravans to harvest at 300 resources per hour.

If you want to buy or sell something on the market or send resources to another city, you may see the distance but not how long it'll take for your caravans to travel that distance. Your caravans travel at 20 plus the-level-of-your-marketplace squares per hour. So a player with a level 2 marketplace will have caravans that travel 22 squares per hour. If the distance is 220 squares, they will take 10 hours to travel there and 10 hours to travel back. A player with a level 20 marketplace will have caravans that travel 40 squares per hour. They will take 5 hours 30 minutes hours to travel a distance of 220 squares and 5 hours 30 minutes to travel back.

The map is 2000 squares by 2000 squares in size, so if your city is near the center of the map and someone on the edge of the map buys your goods on the market, it could take nearly 4 days round trip for a new player or 2 days for a player with a level 20 marketplace. If your city is near the edge of the map, it could take up to 9 days for a new player or almost 6 days for for a player with a level 20 marketplace.

If you want to know how long it will take any unit to travel between two squares, this calculator will be helpful.

Edited by Mara Zira - 24 Apr 2012 at 21:24
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 00:07
I think placing armies on resource spots to "save" them is not a good idea.  The problem is, what happens if someone sends their caravan to the spot while your army is marching?  They send their innocent little caravan to harvest resources while the spot is open, your army is there when their caravan arrives, and it gets slaughtered.

Perspective, people, it's just a few resources.  Not worth starting a war over -- and killing unarmed caravans is a provocation for war -- although I recommend attempting a diplomatic solution.

Obviously if you are claiming sov on a spot you have to occupy it, and it is possible in a rare event your army might kill a caravan that went there intending to harvest.  I've never heard of that occurring in Illy (given the relative rarity of armies claiming sov compared to the whole map), but if it did hopefully the person claiming sov would compensate the person who sent the caravan.

I generally advise players in my alliance not to send caravans to spots on which another player has claimed sov without first asking permission.  It is not required by the rules of the game, but it seems polite.  As the game evolves and more people claim sov and larger sov areas, this ethic may evolve.

Personally, I think it's petty when a larger player engages in bumper cars with smaller players when they are harvesting, since the small players need the resources so much more.  But everyone has different styles, and if that's what floats your boat ...

Edited to add: I forgot we don't have boats yet, dang it!  Bumper boats ... now there's an idea!

Edited by Rill - 23 Aug 2011 at 00:09
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 17:33
I agree, Rill. I'd never put an army on a resource spot. It's not worth it. I don't think very many players do this or would say it's okay to do so.

I think most people who have sovereignty have so many resources they don't need to harvest anymore. Maybe some players with sov can comment on if they think a player should ask before harvesting on sov squares or if it's good enough to have the "rule" that a player can "rightfully" bump you off his/her sov squares (or equivalent distance) around their city if they want to.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 17:46
I also would like to hear from sov square owners.  

In making my rule of thumb, I am more worried that someone might want to put an army on their sov spot to upgrade the sov and would be frustrated to find a caravan there ... is this a consideration?  Or is this so rare as to be irrelevant?
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 18:20
i would certainly not mind if someone come to harvest resources from my nearby/sov tiles. They are doing a service, clearing the site for new NPC spawns.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 20:59
Rill, when I do sov, I plan to put my army there when no spawn is present (harvest or NPC) so there would be no conflict.  I've just assumed others would do the same...

(There are periods when spawn squares don't have anything, and I'm guessing they also don't spawn if an army is occupying the spot.)
STAR View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 05:15
When claiming a Sov sq it would be considerate to wait for a harvesting caravan to finish.

The problem would not be with a caravan harvesting on a respawn sq but more so with another person who is also trying to claim the same square you have already claimed or about to claim.

It would be inevitable for resources or npc's to spawn on the sq once the claiming players army has left the sov sq and most if not all that are playing with sov sq's, would know this fact.

Edited by STAR - 31 Aug 2011 at 05:22
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 16:13
MZ - I have seen spawns occur when a player's army was already in occupation.

I think if another player is harvesting a site that player wishes to Sov, the considerate thing to do is the Sov player sends a van to bump the first van, then sends his army to claim Sov.  A note the bumped player advising of the armies presence to claim Sov would be nice,too.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 17:41
Lamp Yes, Dude, that makes sense. I never thought of it, but of course resources can spawn even if an army is occupying it. Your advice is good.

By the way, when you say, "bump" on GC and I say "it's good manners to not deliberately bump" on GC, I wanted you to know I'm not saying I think you're rude when you bump me. Wink I tend to blanket huge areas with my larger cities' caravans, and I expect people to bump me off the res near their cities. And they do.

To players in general: Here's another thing I heard on General Chat that might work. In the very crowded areas, one player said that if no resources were available nearby, he would wait for an hour so the other player could get some resources, then bump them to get some for himself. I think this would work if you sent a message to the bumped player explaining what you were doing--that you were being polite by sharing instead of immediately bumping them off.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 19:34
Oh, I didn't take your comments re: bumping personally, MZ.  I'm a wicked van bumper.  :)  Bumping vans is a way for me to see who might be active in my area.  When I harvest, I go out 50 sqs in all directions.  I tend to do my harvesting from EJ's Liberty so as my other cities have their vans available.  I tend to do  my Welcome Wagons from TD's The Alamo, too.

Not only do resources spawn with an army in Occupation, I have also seen NPC's spawn while an army was in occupation.  There is no battle, they both just occupy.  If attacked, the 2 armies defend together as you would see in a multi-player defense.

Edited by The_Dude - 01 Sep 2011 at 19:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic