illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step by Step Guide to Quests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Mara Zira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step by Step Guide to Quests
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 18:49
Research Needed
Step 1: Click on an empty plot in your city and build a library.

Step 2: When you have enough research points available, move your mouse over the green Research button on the menu, then select the "Available to Research" side button. Research Brewing, Bartending, and Trade Contacts.

To complete level one quests, you'll also need to have researched Haggling.

To complete level two quests, research Diplomatic Contacts. You'll also need to have Negotiation, Scouting, and Master Scouts researched.

Buildings Needed
Step 1: When your Brewing research is finished, click on an empty plot in your city and build a brewery.

Step 2: Once built, click on the brewery. Click on the Production seal in the upper right-hand corner. Under Production Orders, type in the number of barrels of beer you wish to make and click on the Make button. I'd suggest you make around 4-10 barrels to start with.

Step 3: When your Bartending research is finished, click on an empty plot in your city and build a tavern.

Step 4: Wait until your Trade Contacts research is done and you have some beer produced. You can see how many finished barrels of beer you have by looking at the top of the Production page in your Brewery for the "Currently Stored" number. You can also click on the triangle to the right of your city name on the menu bar. The resource bar will expand. Look at the numbers to the left of the beer icon. The number of finished beer is above the number of beer in production.

To complete level one quests, you'll also need to have build a marketplace and at least one caravan. If you haven't yet made your caravans, do so now. You should have horses and gold from the tutorial gift caravan. Click on your marketplace and then the Production seal and make 5 caravans.

To complete level two quests, you'll need to have build a Consulate, completed the needed research, and made 10 basic scout units. This will allow you to do some of these quests. You need to upgrade your Consulate to level 3, do the necessary research, and make 10 advanced scouts if you wish to be able to do any and all of the level two quests. Since scout units cost gold per hour to maintain, you'll also need gold in your storehouse. Personally, I'd recommend not making basic scouts and waiting on these quests until you can make 10 advanced scouts.

Quests
Step 1: Once the needed research is done, the buildings built, and the beer produced, you can move your mouse over the world map icon in the menu, then click on the Quests side button (which looks like an open scroll). Click on the name of each quest and read the text to decide which ones interest you. You might find the quest guide useful to determine which quests are worth doing.

Level One Quests
Step 1: When you decide to do a certain quest, make sure you currently have available--or will have available before the time expires--enough caravans and resources available to ship all of the needed resources at one time. You may need several caravans. Note that you do not need enough caravans to carry the amount of resources you're trading for. They will automatically be deposited in your storehouse when your goods are delivered.

Step 2: Click on the Accept button. When the needed caravans and resources are available, click on the Dispatch Goods button. Your caravan will deliver the goods and return on it's own, with no further instructions from you. You will receive an message in your Mail when the quest has been completed. If you forget to send out the goods in time, the quest will expire. You'll have lost the beer you spent to accept the quest.

The quests will repeat. These quests are mainly useful to switch resources you have a lot of for ones you have less of. If you take into account the resources that go into making the beer, you aren't actually earning extra resources this way, so don't depend on quests to build your resources.

Level Two Quests
Step 1: Before you can do level two quests, you need to finish the necessary research, buildings, beer, and scouts. When you decide to do a certain quest, make sure you currently have available--or will have available before the time expires--the scouts needed. Click on the rose icon in the menu ("Diplomatic Overview") to see if you have the needed scouts currently in the town. They might still be traveling back from the last quest.

Step 2: Once you've selected the quest you wish to do, click on the Accept button.

Step 3: Click on the "Give orders to Diplomats" link at the bottom of the page. You will be taken to the Diplomatic Orders page. Find the scout unit type you need to send (and have available), type in the number of scouts you wish to send on the mission, and click the "Send" button. Your scouts will complete the mission and return with no further orders from you.

You will receive an message in your Mail when the quest has been completed. If you forget to send out the scouts in time, the quest will expire. You'll have lost the beer you spent to accept the quest. The quests will repeat. In some quests, your scouts will die, so be careful which quests you accept and how many scouts you send. For some quests, your scouts will fail in their mission if you don't send enough of them. So far, 10 advanced scouts have always been enough for me to successfully complete quests.

Some quests have several parts. The first part usually doesn't earn you anything, but you'll benefit if you complete all of the parts of the quest.

Ranking and Discoveries
Completing quests will improve your overall ranking on the game.

Discoveries are randomly won from completing quests. You may be given a discovery after a few quests or after many. So far, the two Discoveries you can receive from Quests are: Inquisitive Populace (which allows you to see incoming hostile diplomatic units sooner) and Block and Tackle (which improves how quickly you can load your caravans when harvesting resources).

Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tordenkaffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:37
Commercial Spam!!! Attack!
Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faldrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:45
Originally posted by Mara Zira Mara Zira wrote:

Ranking and Discoveries
Completing quests will improve your overall ranking on the game.

Discoveries are randomly won from completing quests. You may be given a discovery after a few quests or after many.

I would say a discovery is "discovered by" and not "won from" Tongue

Nice guide btw Smile
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:53
Originally posted by Tordenkaffen Tordenkaffen wrote:

Commercial Spam!!! Attack!
Disposed of...
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 01:31
Maybe clarify that Inquisitive Populace is gained from doing diplo quests and Block and Tackle is gained from trade quests?

Good guide! Thanks!
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mara Zira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 22:06
I've had several people say they got both discoveries from Trade quests, so I'm not sure that's true, Rill. I didn't want to put information in my guide that I was unsure of.

I've also heard people say that the higher the level your tavern is, the more quickly you'll get these discoveries. This may be true, but I have no proof unless a GM would like to confirm it.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 22:18

I've had several people say they got both discoveries from Trade quests, so I'm not sure that's true, Rill. I didn't want to put information in my guide that I was unsure of.

I've also heard people say that the higher the level your tavern is, the more quickly you'll get these discoveries. This may be true, but I have no proof unless a GM would like to confirm it.

Recently, I saw GM SC on GC mention that higher taverns have a better chance at discoveries.

I believe Trade Discoveries are earned by Trade Quests and Diplomatic Discoveries are earned by Diplomatic Quests.
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anjire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 23:03
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Recently, I saw GM SC on GC mention that higher taverns have a better chance at discoveries.

I believe Trade Discoveries are earned by Trade Quests and Diplomatic Discoveries are earned by Diplomatic Quests.

I have experienced almost the opposite of the above (higher level taverns = higher rate of discovery).  I believe at some point, they tweaked the rate at which the diplomatic discovery is made to roughly nil. 

The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 23:26
That Diplomatic Discovery is hard to get.  I've been wondering if it is easier for smaller cities to earn it vs. larger cities.
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilotov of DokGthung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 23:35
you mean inquisitive populace?
i have that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic