FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtrolls in Illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 06:11
Really debated whether I should reply here given my reputation.

Anyway, since when did I care about consequences? So why start now.

Here are my observations.

1.) I played WoW for many years, you had a "main" character or your various alts. I have always been of the opinion that you should talk from your "main" or whatever the illyriad equivalent is.

2.) Illyriad should be policed somewhat. What I mean here, is weaker players getting into the game should be protected. If you start a "fight" outside your weight class, at least have the jibbly bits to fight a higher "tiered" player or alliance rather than pick on some newbie. That is lame and screws the game over in the long run.

3.) With point two, the game should not be policed too much. This idea has been beaten to death, but let "weight classes" duke it out without threats of "LOLOL I CUD SMASH BOAT ALYENSES ON MAI OWEN"

4.) It is really easy to fling the label "troll" around ala McCarthyism. Several people like to use this term (troll) when someone says something they don't like or someone says something that disagrees with them. Let's not make this a witch hunt please.

Thats my viewpoint.

Otherwise, game on, use all the tools at your disposal to achieve the goals you have in this game. The metagame is a rich one and allows a lot more avenues than people would initially expect.

Gemley View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by Manannan Manannan wrote:

1 You've done it again where there is no mention of LH for a while and you bring him up... That must be a serious secret bromance you guys have going...  And here was me thinking that LH only had eyes for Megan Fox you lucky devil you Wink LOL

2 I'm sorry you seem to have missed this but EOM Harry slayed the Queen Troll that was LH a few weeks back. You even missed the party we had afterwards.... I mean memorial.... Okay then I admit it was a party and there were lots of little people dancing around singing "Ding dong the witch is dead!" Beer Party
i think you were joking but I only mentioned Lionz Heartz because he was the only one i could think of, ill change it if you want.
2nd, how come no one told me Lionz Heartz was dead!?Unhappy
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 18:01
Jude, you should note that your name was not mentioned at all, yet you felt as though you had to justify your actions.

Guilty conscience?
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Capricorne View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 00:39
?
Where did you see any justification Kurfist?
My english my be bad but I fail to see it so please enlight me.
Capricorne View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 00:49
I'm not so often in gc so it's maybe why I don't see the real annoyance of troll there.

Anyway I must say that I'm surprised to read the remedy proposed here. I mean will you kill someone just because he spoke wrong to you? Really?
If it's just the literature you that you don't want to see, have you got the "block in chat" option?
And even if you don't use it there is a simple rule I saw somewhere: don't feed the troll!

If they are so "strong" it's because all of us feed them, answers them and so on. If we just ignore them they surely just die. (maybe I am too naive)

I must me kind of old fashion but I just can see any legitimate in someone who anwers by violence someone who just talk. Even in bad.
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 01:09
Originally posted by Capricorne Capricorne wrote:

I'm not so often in gc so it's maybe why I don't see the real annoyance of troll there.

Anyway I must say that I'm surprised to read the remedy proposed here. I mean will you kill someone just because he spoke wrong to you? Really?
If it's just the literature you that you don't want to see, have you got the "block in chat" option?
And even if you don't use it there is a simple rule I saw somewhere: don't feed the troll!

If they are so "strong" it's because all of us feed them, answers them and so on. If we just ignore them they surely just die. (maybe I am too naive)

I must me kind of old fashion but I just can see any legitimate in someone who anwers by violence someone who just talk. Even in bad.

That is the best way to neuter trolls, but the temptation to try and "one up" the troll with a clever retort is too much for some to ignore.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 01:55
I'm not sure I approve of this thread really.

I have no love for obviouse trolling myself, but what you are suggesting here sounds alot like the inquisition. Starting random witch-hunts and such is inflammatory in its own way.

edit: agree with what capricorn said too - why all this attention for trolls? that is what they want.

Edited by Createure - 11 Jul 2011 at 01:58
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 02:26
I don't know why so many people are against attacking players in this community. What exactly is a good reason to attack a player? To have fun? No no! You're war mongering and much be sieged from the game (ironic way to deal with it really). Because someone said something highly offensive? No no! You're evil if you attack someone just because they attacked you with words! Lately I've even seen cases where someone outright attacks a player and people look down on them retaliating because they should "look for a diplomatic solution". It's no wonder why players quitting choose to go out with a bang. It's probably the only chance they'll get at actually using their army.

Frankly, if a troll wants attention I'd be happy to give them it. In the form of a siege engine.
Silent/Steadfast View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 02:28
Originally posted by StJude StJude wrote:

I have always been of the opinion that you should talk from your "main" or whatever the illyriad equivalent is.

What if you have two "mains?"
"Semantics are no protection from a 50 Megaton Thermonuclear Stormcrow."-Yggdrassil (June 21, 2011 6:48 PM)
"SCROLL ya donut!" Urgorr The Old (September 1, 2011 4:08 PM)
Gemley View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 02:41
Hey Brids the only time I have used my armys is to seige newbie attackers and trolls and i dont attack inactives or npcs so I dont use my army much, which is strange because i focus mostly on my military. I like the idea of being able to use armys more but i dont fancy seigeing others out of the game or starting big wars.

Edited by Gemley - 11 Jul 2011 at 02:41
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic