Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rank vs Score - What can we learn about progress?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRank vs Score - What can we learn about progress?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rank vs Score - What can we learn about progress?
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 13:59
I've just done a plot of about 30 points, comparing 'Rank' against 'log_10 (Score)' in the Global Rankings, for Rank above 4000. The resulting plot is very close to a straight line.

When ascending the Rank sequence, the line continues fairly straight, with players getting a score boost at around Rank 3000. Above the 250th Rank, player's scores exceed the pattern of the previous ranks, and start climbing. These guys have found some 'critical mass' and have exceeded the 'geometric progression' results of the other players. Above 80th rank, it's obvious, with scores 2x the expected score.

I think this shows that there's 'something special' that can be pulled out of the hat when players reach a high level (scoring over 150 million), which not all players find. I would have expected the reverse: a bunching of scores at the top, where they reach the achievement limits of the game.

There are lots of ways to read the data (including finding fault with the use of Rank vs score, and the inclusion of dormant players), mostly interpreting the distribution of player ability or the point at which a player might become bored with the game and abandon it (dare I suggest such an outcome :o), or even that the highest scores are from opportunist players who started Illyriad in its earliest days and that the top ranks will eventually even out. I'll watch replies with interest. Finally, this all becomes moot if any tweaks are made to game balance, or new features are introduced.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 18:56
Alot of the rankings are meaningless Alba: there are ways of unfairly manipulating many of them to obtain enormous scores - and many players have spent time doing this - time wasted in my opinion because I'm sure that rankings will get an overhaul at some point.

Several of the categories can be easily manipulated to gain huge scores, in particular trade, diplomacy and magic, but also some others to an extent. For example my personal trade score is currently 35M (rank 164) - I've gained that by doing genuine trading throughout the life of my account - I could easily set up a second account and bounce fake trades around to increase that - In a single fake trade I could gain 80M point.

Notice the two accounts in the same alliance at the top of the trade ranks with 35 Trillion points each? That will be one sad person shifting gold back and forward between the two.

G0DsDestroyer View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 02:07
Don't forget magic rank! all you have to do is cast any spell that can have mana added to it on any target, and use a lot of exra mana, and your score goes way up! Easy for those people with 100 mil or more of mana. And population is easily done using prestige, but that can get expensive to race to the top!
And my trade rank is all trades with other people too! and I'm #11!
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:15
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Alot of the rankings are meaningless Alba: there are ways of unfairly manipulating many of them to obtain enormous scores - and many players have spent time doing this - time wasted in my opinion because I'm sure that rankings will get an overhaul at some point.

Several of the categories can be easily manipulated to gain huge scores, in particular trade, diplomacy and magic, but also some others to an extent. For example my personal trade score is currently 35M (rank 164) - I've gained that by doing genuine trading throughout the life of my account - I could easily set up a second account and bounce fake trades around to increase that - In a single fake trade I could gain 80M point.

Notice the two accounts in the same alliance at the top of the trade ranks with 35 Trillion points each? That will be one sad person shifting gold back and forward between the two.

I wasn't aware of this. If there is unfair manipulation which renders the ranking system meaningless then this is quite serious. I would like to read the GM's comment on this issue.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:31
Well, we've already commented on the trade issue; all trade scores will be reset with the Trade v2 release.

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/update-26nov10-trade-v2-part-1_topic1313_post10976.html#10976

Other issues we'll look into.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:33
The ranking system isn't completely meaningless - the top players in Illy are generally at the top of the ranks.

A few things need tweaking I agree, but to be honest: Manipulating ranks gives players 0 ingame advantage - it is just a number in a list - and anyone who knows about the ranking system can spot the people who manipulate quite easily anyways.

I don't play for the leaderboard anyways, there are much more fun things. If the devs fix the ranking system I won't complain but I think there are many other things more worthy of development time first.
Tinuviel's Voice View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 14:15
Imho, what really counts (at least for the time being) is the attack/defense rankings.

For example, I rank #2 in Tech.  Err....so what?
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tinuviel's Voice Tinuviel's Voice wrote:

Imho, what really counts (at least for the time being) is the attack/defense rankings.

For example, I rank #2 in Tech.  Err....so what?

Exactly the same thing with Quest.

I believe population ranks currently have some role to play alongside attack/defence though. (best economic powerhouse accounts versus best military powerhouses).
scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 22:36
Even population is extremely deceptive as a score, with those of us at the top pushing our populations up to unsustainable levels in order to qualify for a 10th town, with the intention of immediately reducing our populations back to useful levels, we will be in the position of dramatically falling in the standings as we are getting significantly more powerful!

Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 15:03
damn spammers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic