Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for new players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 07:28
Okay, I can see the issue now, but you need to calm down.  

The things you're objecting to are, respectively, out of date but true at the time (technically still true, since you did leave the game, but yes, misleading) and a fairly neutral report of what he'd heard.  And honestly, if I'd heard something like that, especially about a player who'd left, I'd probably have thrown it in too.  

Also, why would you think you would get banned?  

Final comment:  This guide is pretty out of date anyway.  Someone should make a new one, maybe?  I don't know that there should or could be a policy as to which on gets linked, I would just hope a new one would be better (and thus more often referred). 
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:24
Bonfyr Verboo
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:35
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

The OP in this thread contains false and derogatory statements regarding me.

Originally posted by Manannan Manannan wrote:

This is the second version of the New Player Guide. The first was originally published by a great Illyriad called The_Dude who has now left the game, although there was some dispute over who actually wrote it, then later it was republished and added to by myself. Unfortunately the more that was added the more difficult it became to follow hence a rewrite was required.

whether it's changed or not is of no interest to me, but the paragraph clearly states that:
a)  The first was originally published by a great Illyriad called The_Dude
b) 
there was some dispute over who actually wrote it
Manannan apparently cannot testify to the authorship of the original guide, but acknowledges (gratefully, as attested by the conversation following) the source he knows.

when i read this post as a newb, i was confused by the reference to The_Dude leaving the game, but anyone who plays long enough to need the guide will know the truth of that, and the statement is evidently true in context, and does not seem to have been malicious in intent.

i see no derogatory personal comments in the OP.  (in fact, we seem to have only begun them since the objection was made.)  is it reasonable to ask Luna to decide the authorship of a guide written before she joined the community?
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 13:56
The objection to the second paragraph is noted. It also does not violate any forum rules, so I won't be editing.

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

STAR View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 21:19
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

Originally posted by Manannan Manannan wrote:

This is the second version of the New Player Guide. The first was originally published by a great Illyriad called The_Dude who has now left the game, although there was some dispute over who actually wrote it, then later it was republished and added to by myself. Unfortunately the more that was added the more difficult it became to follow hence a rewrite was required.

whether it's changed or not is of no interest to me, but the paragraph clearly states that:
a)  The first was originally published by a great Illyriad called The_Dude

+1 

It was written by The_Dude

Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

b)  there was some dispute over who actually wrote it
Manannan apparently cannot testify to the authorship of the original guide, but acknowledges (gratefully, as attested by the conversation following) the source he knows.

There should not be any dispute because the original author was The_Dude.  There was talk that the Guide came from toothless but it didnt.  It was information that was already being done by those experienced in the game, which is why The_Dude wrote and posted the newbie guide.

Personally in my opinion it was The_Dude that started the movement in helping newbies out because at the time there was no player guide for them in forums.  The only help you would get regarding information was if you joined an alliance, with The_Dudes guide and help ingame it gave newbies an option to play alone for a while.

FYI:

The_Dude had deleted the guide he wrote (for his own reasons) before him leaving, what he didnt know was  Manannan had taken a copy of that guide The_Dude had written and saved it, later reposting it under his name (which I think is this thread). Later adding his own flare to it.

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The post was accurate at the time of its writing, after you sieged yourself into oblivion in a fit of pique.  The post acknowledges there was some debate at the time about who originated the idea of a new player guide; there was another new player guide written by someone in Toothless? I believe.

The guide was accurate "at the time" but it is not accurate at this time

That guide i believe was taken without permission by Lion Heart and posted in forums.  It was not a guide that was made accessible to the illy community, it was a private guide for there own players before him taking it.

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Rill - I'm not sure what you're smoking but there is no way that sentence is complimentary.  If the intent is as you claim then it needs to be edited to use better language.

It's also reasonable to expect that the OP is updated to reflect current status especially given the number of times it is linked per day.

If that's not possible then a new thread should be started with up todate info and linked to instead.

+1

Arakamis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arakamis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 20:09
so, should we go over the forums and correct all those that were accurate once but not so accurate now?
STAR View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 20:19
Originally posted by Arakamis Arakamis wrote:

so, should we go over the forums and correct all those that were accurate once but not so accurate now?

I think a suggestion was already suggested but just incase you missed it i'll repost it again for you 

Originally posted by STAR STAR wrote:

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Rill - I'm not sure what you're smoking but there is no way that sentence is complimentary.  If the intent is as you claim then it needs to be edited to use better language.

It's also reasonable to expect that the OP is updated to reflect current status especially given the number of times it is linked per day.

If that's not possible then
 a new thread should be started with up todate info and linked to instead.

+1

Arakamis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arakamis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 20:54
so the old thread stays then.. what's the point in that? someone still can say that it is outdated information.. and what's stopping anyone from starting a new thread anyways?
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 23:41
Arakamis - you missed the "especially since it is linked to many times per day"

If you post a link to some info - that info should be up to date.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 01:47
I would have no problem with guides being updated, or even completely new guides being written.

Writing another guide need not obliterate the original works. It is courteous and good practice to cite others' work, and I see no dishonour in copying someone else's guide wholesale and making a few changes, so long as credit is given, and the originals are accessible (for historic, respectful, personal, or nostalgic reasons).

Failure to update the guides will ultimately lessen their value.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic