Forum LockedThe use of subterfuge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:10
Originally posted by Lionz Heartz Lionz Heartz wrote:

Can you explain to me how the diplomat exploit works and what it does?

Originally posted by GM StormCrow GM StormCrow wrote:

We feel absolutely 100% that this is not an exploit, for the following reasons:

I wonder. Do I believe LH or do I believe the guy who designed the game?

Edited by Createure - 05 May 2011 at 10:14
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:19
This feature ,as you call it, Honored Mule has done Harmless? even more harm than good for it reveals that not only are you losing the tournament to Valar but you are losing the debate in this thread also.

I can't believe that you would be so crassly conceited as to come into the forum and try, by use of chicanery and spin, to justify subertefuge in a tournament. This is first time I have ever seen an elephant blunder into a trap of his own making.

The fact is that Harmless, for all their misplaced self regard, have lost this tournament to a better alliance. You and the vituperative Kumomoto should have the good grace to admit it ... but tellingly you do not. Even now, in this thread, Kumo looks to twist the words of Azreil so that he can pick a fight.

You both failed and Harmless? failed. The Order of the Valar were the better allaince and now it is clear to the community that they are the most honourable alliance. 

WarePhreak View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 13:02
I haven't read all the posts, but what I am gathering is that Harmless is using the game the way it is designed currently. Bravo. Clap
At the same time I am rooting for VALAR as I am tired of seeing H? at the top of everything. Tongue

What I've read so far is exactly how I understood the game to work and makes sense for spawning. If I send at a few, just enough troops, I want that square to stay the same and not become a horde. However if someone else beats me there, then I may still lose everything. I think this needs to stay that way since travel times can be so long.

Originally, they did respawn on a schedule regardless of incoming and it caused enough issues that they changed it.

Edited by WarePhreak - 05 May 2011 at 13:04
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 15:29
Originally posted by Aneirin Aneirin wrote:

it reveals that not only are you losing the tournament to Valar but you are losing the debate in this thread also.

Troll alert? I heard you weren't even part of VALAR anymore after falling out with their leadership.

But anyways mr smart guy. I'm pretty sure you can tell that H? and every other alliance in Illy are losing the tournament by looking at the leaderboard. That's the only reason we needed to try different tactics in the first place.

The only spin and propoganda here is coming from yourself. The directors of H? have already wished VALAR an entertaining finale to the tournament and assured everyone that no grudges will be held afterwards but I guess you carefully choose not to read those bits.

scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 16:58
Pinning NPCs with diplos is not an exploit, it is just playing well. 

Kudos for Harmless? for playing so well, and Kudos to Valar and Boromir for winning anyway!

Good job all!
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 01:00

You both failed and Harmless? failed. The Order of the Valar were the better allaince and now it is clear to the community that they are the most honourable alliance. 

Whilst tempted to reply in point Ill simply address your closing statement and avoid your trolling.

However you look at the numbers Harmless has, again, performed outstandingly.

At the commencement of the tournament (and for its majority) H? had almost exactly FIFTY (50) members. HALF VALAR's number and the top spot is still to come down to the wire. Removing VALAR's top player would relegate VALAR to second place. Removing Harmless's top FOUR players and we would STILL hold second place. Removing VALAR's top THREE players would relegate VALAR to THIRD place.

Harmless has performed competitively above its weight and in an Honourable fashion as the Devs AND the MAJORITY of neutral commentators have stated quite clearly.

Your accusations are baseless and you simply come across as bitter.

Edited by Llyorn Of Jaensch - 06 May 2011 at 01:21
Akita View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Chief Economist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 07:30

Originally posted by Lionz Heartz Lionz Heartz wrote:

Originally posted by col0005 col0005 wrote:

I have to say I have no objection to sending large armies to occupy NPC squares for time poor players and I applaud H? for being clever with the use of diplomats, however I belive that the GM's should have removed the diplomat feature shortly after it was discovered as it doesn't make much sense.

Can you explain to me how the diplomat exploit works and what it does?

The use of diplomats to "pin" NPC army camps and NPC animal groups to their current place has been ruled as NOT an exploit, at least for the time being.

How it works is very simple. 

For instance, you send one basic scout (for its slower speed) to "scout" the composition of a NPC spawn, then before that one arrives you send another one, and then another one and so on and so forth until you get bored of sending scouts.
The effect is that the NPC spawn will never just vanish from the spot, but will keep being there as long as there's even a single diplomatic unit bearing down on its location.
If you do that with "undesirable" NPC spawns (army groups, legions of animals, etc) everywhere around a target city, that city's armies will have a more difficult time finding decently-sized NPC animal groups to hunt for XP and/or tournament body parts, and it will get increasingly difficult as more and more of the squares get occupied by large NPC animal groups or NPC army camps.

Again, this TACTIC has been deemed to NOT be an exploit.

Whether or not the mechanics of this particular tactic will be deemed either unbalanced or undesirable and therefore either be altered or outright removed in some nearer or farther future is unknown for now, and the consequences of any such alteration would need to be carefully weighed before any changes are made.

Edited by Akita - 06 May 2011 at 07:38
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 09:42
I think SC explained all that in bullet-point form last week.

But hey, it's always nice to hear from a different member of the Illy staff! ^^
Akita View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Chief Economist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:04
I was merely repeating and clarifying what the official ruling said, and explaining how it's done, nothing more, nothing less.
I have expressed my personal, unofficial views on the matter on page two of this thread.
Selissa View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:41
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

At the commencement of the tournament (and for its majority) H? had almost exactly FIFTY (50) members. HALF VALAR's number and the top spot is still to come down to the wire. Removing VALAR's top player would relegate VALAR to second place. Removing Harmless's top FOUR players and we would STILL hold second place. Removing VALAR's top THREE players would relegate VALAR to THIRD place.

I think LoJ puts the situation very well. I congratulate Valar for winning this tournament, but it's clearly because of a few select members, not because Valar is a better alliance as a whole. Give us a tournament of the same type as the first one, and I think H? will clearly be in front again :)

By the way, I'm not in any way trying to insult Valar, merely stating a fact. And I'm not a member of Harmless?, so I'm not partial to them either.
Selissa
Proud member of Curse of the Wolves

I'm an angel, honest! The horns are just there to keep the halo straight!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic