FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe use of subterfuge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
(EOM) Harry View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 22:42
At the end of the day boys and girls its a game, and no game is ever won without bending breaking or taking advantage of the rules, so you guys are telling me you never stole a couple of 100's in monopoly whilst your mum took a phone call, or you called "go fish" when you really shouldn't of, lighten up guys, its an interesting tactic that now spruces up an otherwise getting stale tournament.

Just take it in your stride and have some fun with it. Also you could just use the tactic yourself, nothing stopping you from doing that.

Its nearly over anyway so just chill out have a laugh and get some good banter going afterwards ;)
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 21:59
For as many people as hold us to an inequitable standard, others stand by us for our honesty and reliability.  I've said before that Harmless serves as a "proof of concept" that centered, upright behavior can be successful and opens as many strategic and political doors as it closes.

Case in point: if we told Valar we would stop diplomats, I believe they would do the same without waiting for our days-out parties to finish arriving, because they would believe we were telling the truth.  (I am not making this promise, but only offer it as an example.)  In this scenario, we cannot lie to Valar for a temporary advantage, but we can bring about an immediate change.

Another example: we basically have no known enemies and very trustworthy allies.  If we ruled by strength alone, we would face a constant vigil against challengers and changing diplomatic tides.  War is fun.  Constant war is very tiring.
Lionz Heartz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 20:16
Okay.

Basically, H?, is sending armies to hold squares that spawn NPCs. They are sending these armies near towns of the best players of VALAR. Thus, H? is holding squares for 14 days that spawn NPC targets. And since H? states these armies are only being sent by afk alt accounts. I also assume to hold these squares, H? has a good amount of troops holding them. Otherwise, if their were a small amount of troops occupying, I feel it would be a good idea for VALAR to remove H? from these squares since H?'s strategy is effecting spawn rates for them.

I also heard about the use of diplomats being used and even caravans... Can someone shed light as to how these are used and what outcomes it has on a square spawning NPCs?

Are diplomats able to keep resource spawns active till the diplomat arrives? Are diplomats able to keep a spawn square inactive till the diplomat arrives? Can a diplomat deactivate a NPC holding square and then spawn up a another NPC onto that square which may be bigger?

I assume caravans are being used much the same way troops are being used but are used to gather resources instead of killing NPC's to hold square etc... If I remember reading right... VALAR has been using caravans to gather resources that spawn NPC and resources to prohibit H? from using that square to kill NPCs. In retaliation I also remember H? destroying VALAR's caravans to open up the square again.   
--------------------------------------------

I'm Brilliant
Superstar
Lionz Heartz

PS: How is that bounty going for you Kumo? Perhaps you need to raise the gold amount in order for my alliance to give me up.

Edited by Lionz Heartz - 04 May 2011 at 20:29
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 20:01
I wonder when people are going to realize that honor is overrated. Every time someone calls themselves honorable, when they do something possibly seen as not honorable, they hit harder by it than anyone else would. I bet if this was DB doing this, the overall response would be something like "Those jerks again?" and not "How could you do something like this!?".

Edit: I should point out I have no problem with DB, I was just using them as an example since it seems many people don't see them as exactly an "honorable" alliance.

Edited by Brids17 - 04 May 2011 at 20:03
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 14:48
It seems the smell of blood from so many dead critters has aroused the passions of Illy's mighty hunters.  I am sure King Sigurd is pleased that his lords are so passionate about being his Champion.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 14:20
Wow, exciting proceedings in my absence.

I have nothing to add.

Good hunting one and all.
lokifeyson View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 13:39
nice, i thought of this tactic as well...from the start...except i told myself that if i was willing to go as far as sending diplo's and vans, i might as well just send the seige...

no town=no army

if anything be thankful that didn't happen Tongue
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:52
I like what lawn-mower said:
Originally posted by lolly lolly wrote:

we, not surprisingly, differ in opinion

I think this pretty much sums up the debate.

There's no way either side is going to shift positions so we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Then we can all move on and enjoy the rest of the tourny! ^^
Azreil View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:48
Hi Creature

Thank you for this sympathetic stance.

Yes I meant that kind of "bigot" in that context since it looked to me like both sides were sliding toward hard-lining their positions and my intention was to stop further agitation of the situation.

I actually "consulted" the thesaurus in Word and the "bigot" is synonymous to: extremist, diehard, dogmatic, etc. and "bigotry" is about intolerance, narrow-mindedness, prejudice, bias, etc.

But I was not accusing H? of being so. Exactly as I said it: "We believe we all don't want to be so. "

I just did not want to belabor it. Because as I said it was supposed to be my final post.

This post, hopefully, would finally be it.   :)

Thanks

Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:09
Quote big·ot  (bgt)
n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Actually Azreil I do have to kind of agree with you here. Bigot (although it often implies racist) does NOT mean racist in all cases. And the use of the word was most likely justified in the context of free-expression and the presenting of an opinion (whether it be biased or not).

When you wrote:
Originally posted by Azreil Azreil wrote:

"2. We believe we all don't want to be bigots here."

- I read that as "We all don't want to be intolerant of each others' differences (not racial differences but political/alliance differences). -

I agree with this sentiment. This is a tournament and I'm glad to see passions running high, it would be boring otherwise. But I don't like or dislike any member of VALAR any more or less than a random man in the street.

Although I probably DO like VALAR members more than a random person because you share a love of Illyriad with me! \o/

I also respect you moderately more balanced and thought out response than those of a few of your guild members.

Edited by Createure - 04 May 2011 at 10:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic