Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKing's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:08
Originally posted by Aneirin Aneirin wrote:

Did the GM's get it right when they decided, half way through the tournament, that the use of diplomats by one party to pin NPC spawn points of an opponent was " a clever ingame mechanic" open to anyone.

All of these practises have been used but have any of them been condoned.

This was a Tournament in fact it was billed as a Royal tournament or the Kings Tournament implying that there was an air of legitimacy surrounding the whole affair and half way through the event we are presented with a decsion that applauds  a "sneaky tactic". This is a dodgy precedent, nay a well dodgy precedent, which could mean that other Tournaments will just descend into the outright hostility which tournaments purported to avoid (see quote above.)

Originally posted by King Sigurd of Illyria, when announcing the tournament on Day One King Sigurd of Illyria, when announcing the tournament on Day One wrote:

As this is a mighty work of knowledge to benefit the Kingdom as a whole, His Majesty has forbidden the theft of these specimens from player towns for the duration of the tournament - although his military advisors suggest that Lords might certainly use some more cunning and underhand tactics to hamper their competitors' efforts.

Aneirin, I suspect you might be expecting too much from King Sigurd :)

SC

HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:17
I would wager he's not.  I came to terms long ago with not being loved by everyone. Big smile

Erm, that was in reply to The_Dude's questioning of Aneirin's identity, not Stormcrow's response.  My personal opinion more closely resembles SC's vision of "free enterprise." Nuke

Edited by HonoredMule - 11 May 2011 at 17:38
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:19
Weird. I was just quoting that last player comment when it disappeared. 

Ah well.  I too, second Aneirin's poetic use of language in support of his case, and the point is certainly taken; however HM King Sigurd quite likes chaos, bloodshed, antipathy and - dare we say it - war between Alliances: the more things they have to fight over, the more likely it is that they will fight - and therefore the less threat they pose to the Kingdom in the future.

Regards,

SC
Azreil View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:24
SC: Prophetic.... ?  A sign of things to come... ?    :)

Edited by Azreil - 11 May 2011 at 17:25
bartimeus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:32
Next tournament will be an alliance wide deathmatch...
Bartimeus, your very best friend.
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 19:26
In this thread we have seen the apparent demolition of my arguement - that GM Stormcrow's ruling on the "sneaky tactics" (not my words) deployed by H? on pinning NPC spawn points created a precedent that might further tournaments as simply being a means to provoke hostility. The justification for that demolition can be seen highlighted in Stormcrow's posting above.

Also in this thread Storrmcrow now asserts that it has always been King Sigurd's intention to promote hostility between the alliances and indicates that this and future tournaments are to be viewed as a means to achieve this. I must confess that is news to me but as in all things if Stormcrow states it - then it must be true.

So be it.

I know that there are leaders out there who had different hopes for thier alliances. Indeed one wrote to me yesterday saying that his alliance weren't competetive and didn't want to be the best they just wanted to "have a fruendly atmosphere". Fat chance of that then, because King Sigurd and GM Stormcrow want you to be hostile to each other

The alliance known as Harmless? /Toothless? have often denied and ridiculed those who have drawn attention to their insatiable need to dominate and win. However it is clear in this thread they truly desire both  - and more. They want to Quote Bartemeus  "a deathmatch" and it seems likely that it will be a deathmatch sponsored by King Sigurd and ruled over by GM Stormcrow!

There can be no doubt any longer

The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 19:28
I think I hear a ghost.
fluffy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 19:38
I think his argument is leaking...I see water coming on the floor...either that or he got a little uptight and nervous :S  Either way, I think he needs some help.  /me giggles
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 19:46
Originally posted by Aneirin Aneirin wrote:

In this thread we have seen the apparent demolition of my arguement - that GM Stormcrow's ruling on the "sneaky tactics" (not my words) deployed by H? on pinning NPC spawn points created a precedent that might further tournaments as simply being a means to provoke hostility. The justification for that demolition can be seen highlighted in Stormcrow's posting above.
Also in this thread Storrmcrow now asserts that it has always been King Sigurd's intention to promote hostility between the alliances and indicates that this and future tournaments are to be viewed as a means to achieve this. I must confess that is news to me but as in all things if Stormcrow states it - then it must be true.
So be it.
I know that there are leaders out there who had different hopes for thier alliances. Indeed one wrote to me yesterday saying that his alliance weren't competetive and didn't want to be the best they just wanted to "have a fruendly atmosphere". Fat chance of that then, because King Sigurd and GM Stormcrow want you to be hostile to each other
The alliance known as Harmless? /Toothless? have often denied and ridiculed those who have drawn attention to their insatiable need to dominate and win. However it is clear in this thread they truly desire both  - and more. They want to Quote Bartemeus  "a deathmatch" and it seems likely that it will be a deathmatch sponsored by King Sigurd and ruled over by GM Stormcrow!
There can be no doubt any longer

Go play with LH now child.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 20:51
Ahh yeh that was me removing the post SC! :D

I made some comment and then decided I'd rather wait and see what others posted first.

I was wondering who Aneirin was too. By the fact that he has only a couple of cities and is hidden away right on the edge of the map but seems to know a fair bit about Illy goings-on I'd guess he's someone's alt.

I'm wondering whohe refers to with 'Harmless' desire to dominate' though... I'm in Harmless and I don't remember us dominating anyone outside of tournament for a long time. About the only thing we definately dominate these days is the 'total population' ranks but even that gap is closing up with other top alliances as people reach their total pop-cap. VALAR has already proved last month that H? is far from untouchable.

I guess occupying the number 1 spot will always attract a certain kind of hostility from competetive people like Aneirin. It's pretty much human nature.

With the tournament it is pretty easy to focus on just H? and VALAR too much though. There are 8 other alliances in the top 10. And many more promising alliances below that. The last pvp tournament showed that some of those alliances are very capable of good coordination and big troop counts.

If a little prod by the dev-team help the top alliances interact with each other more then I think that's a great thing. It will make things more interesting for everyone.

I suddenly hear cries of: "but what about the poor peaceful monster hunters, trader guys and newbies??? they will get killed and razed and forced out of the game by this supposed 'conflict'!!!???"

Many top alliances run and/or protect training guilds specifically to encourage new players into the game. They aren't going to go to war to push established players out of the game. We already know that players who bully people who don't want to/can't fight tend to get severely dealt with by the community. The same goes for alliances: no ONE alliance dominates the rest of Illyriad, it is effectively self-policing, thanks to the consciencious approach of most top alliances and their leaders. (I have no idea how to spell consciencious... Embarrassed)

Edited by Createure - 11 May 2011 at 21:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic