Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKing's 2nd Tournament - Bloodthirst For Knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 15:54
Tournament has once again got me MUCH more active. Outside of tournament I normally log in once every 3-4 day max. No one is forcing me to participate and I'm competing more for the sake of competition than for the rewards.

IMO this tournament doesn't go against the spirit of Illyriad, it is totally in keeping with the spirit of Illyriad. Nobody is forced to participate in this competition and anyone who choses not to, or is forced not to by time constraints, will not find themselves at a big disadvantage. They will lose out on a chance at some Prestige and some temporary 1 off units, not game-changing rewards. Prestige is specifically designed by the dev team to be a nice perk, but not essential for players to enjoy the game. Infact I reckon a top player who avoided this competition might suddenly find themselves tens of thousands of troops stronger than their nearest enemies/allies in a month from now, a potentially much bigger advantage than anything the tourny rewards could achieve.

I say a big thumbs up to the team, who have once again delivered an exceptionally well timed, well designed and unique piece of gameplay. Clap
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 16:19
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Tournament has once again got me MUCH more active. Outside of tournament I normally log in once every 3-4 day max. No one is forcing me to participate and I'm competing more for the sake of competition than for the rewards.

IMO this tournament doesn't go against the spirit of Illyriad, it is totally in keeping with the spirit of Illyriad. Nobody is forced to participate in this competition and anyone who choses not to, or is forced not to by time constraints, will not find themselves at a big disadvantage. They will lose out on a chance at some Prestige and some temporary 1 off units, not game-changing rewards. Prestige is specifically designed by the dev team to be a nice perk, but not essential for players to enjoy the game. Infact I reckon a top player who avoided this competition might suddenly find themselves tens of thousands of troops stronger than their nearest enemies/allies in a month from now, a potentially much bigger advantage than anything the tourny rewards could achieve.

I say a big thumbs up to the team, who have once again delivered an exceptionally well timed, well designed and unique piece of gameplay. Clap

I second this opinion. Bravo Illy Devs!!!
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 17:50
Originally posted by Attila the Hun Attila the Hun wrote:

If I may inset my person in to this discussion. While the tournament in nice, and I and some members are participating, those with larger armies, the players who have been in the game longer will be the ones winning. 

They have the ability to train hundreds of soldiers as the weeks go by, mass produce equipment, have proper taxation for said soldiers.

The only  "Win" i and my members will receive from this, is a few levels to our commanders, from attacking all the npc's.

It seems to me so far that for anyone with decent (~1000 unit) armies and a few leveled 20+ commanders--or even the ability to build such soon--the limit won't be based on the size of their military machinations but rather the time they have to grind through all the farming.

Anyone who can be online enough to launch the most attacks and spot new NPC spawns the quickest has a very high chance of winning even the "most stuff" category.  I think active producers with at least one well-developed city will be hard-pressed to lose troops faster than they can replace them, provided they make smart choices when attacking and don't try to spread themselves too thin.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 19:45
I agree that there is opportunity for smaller players and alliances.

I also agree that player time committment is key to success in this tourney.  I must have sent over 25 armies yesterday in 3 waves: Immediately on tourney announcement, the midnight spawn, and the 6 am spawn (server times).  I lost over 2K troops in day 1.  My results were inadequate to be competitive - swamped in every category.  The troop loss will not be justified by the 10 gold per pelt booby-prize.

Realistically, that level of daily activity for a month is not viable for me.  I have not launched any armies today.

But I think for active players, this tourney offers a lot fun, it has unique qualities, and new surprises.
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 21:41

If I may inset my person in to this discussion. While the tournament in nice, and I and some members are participating, those with larger armies, the players who have been in the game longer will be the ones winning. 

They have the ability to train hundreds of soldiers as the weeks go by, mass produce equipment, have proper taxation for said soldiers.

The only  "Win" i and my members will receive from this, is a few levels to our commanders, from attacking all the npc's.

This is where some players with larger armies came from.  Time takes time.
I am a Machine.
Manannan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 21:51
I know I'm going to repeat a few things said by others but c'est la vie! 

SC and TC have produced a fantastic tournament for us that like the game itself is very in depth. Although I realize it will be difficult for Wheel of Time to compete with the larger alliances this is not stopping us from taking part. What the old sayings, 'Its not the winning but the taking part which matters' and of course 'You have to be in it to win it.'

It gives members a kick into learning some of the nuances of combat and the opportunity to boost their commanders experience. I haven't personally stopped answering questions about armies in the last day or so and everyone is very enthusiastic. 

The tournament also distracts us and stops us bothering poor SC everytime he strolls into GC about factions.

Hats off to the Illy team. You've pulled a cracker once again lads! Big smile

PS Is it just me or does the other news in the Herald hint at the release of factions 'soon (tm)' LOL
Doesn't look good... doesn't look bad either!

"Manananananananananan, so long Sir, and thanks for all the fish." ~ St.Jude
Attila the Hun View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 21:54
Originally posted by Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Mr. Ubiquitous Feral wrote:

This is where some players with larger armies came from.  Time takes time.

By that, they could also be the ones that win these tournys. In a few months i could be their size, but they'd still be larger. therefor more military prowess, =more chance of winning.

@SC,

You made a comment to hunt perhaps a rarer animal, that would work but once someone sees i had a body part of that animal they would detect a easy win and very simply overtake me with a larger army.
It's just a game. :)
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 22:00
And if you want to give the non-paying players a chance of actually getting something: split the tournament into divisions.

are you saying non paying players can't compete?
cause as far i now prestige doesnt let u produce troops faster seeing it still only builds 1 queqe at a tile
or it doesnt let u produce weapons and armour faster for the same reason
all it gives an advantage in is the 10% attack or defencevalue

i dunno
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Attila the Hun View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 22:07
Nowhere did I mention non-paying players. I am a non-paying player but that didn't even cross my mind, though now it does bring out some details

A: paying players can have a few ques open on production buildings-more equipment made
B- paying players can quickly up buildings, for better research or military units.

Thought that was not the way my argument was going, I was just making a general point that someone my size and lower has absolutely no chance in winning any portion of this tournament.
It's just a game. :)
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 22:13

Nowhere did I mention non-paying players. I am a non-paying player but that didn't even cross my mind, though now it does bring out some details

A: paying players can have a few ques open on production buildings-more equipment made
B- paying players can quickly up buildings, for better research or military units.

Thought that was not the way my argument was going, I was just making a general point that someone my size and lower has absolutely no chance in winning any portion of this tournament.
sorry wasnt ment at you mate was at absabeen or something :s
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic