Topic ClosedMage Commanders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Smoking GNU View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mage Commanders
    Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 20:57
OK, for those of us that feel that the current magical content of the game is a bit lacking, i have the following suggestion: Mage type commanders, with their own spellschool: Evocation (doesn't cast from the city, only mages use these)

First off, Mage units would need tech research to be enabled, you'd have a limit of 5 mages (like the commanders), you'd be limited to 1 mage per army (so 5 armies each with a mage, but not 5 mages in an army). Mages would not have conventional attacks/defence like other troops/commanders, but he would have spells to sling around.

This is where the Evocation spellschool comes in. You get fireballs, lightning bolts, you know that kind of stuff, and the Mage slings those around. At LvL 0 the mage would get 3 spells to sling around, incresing this to 1 spell per 2 skill levels (you get a trainable skill for the mage to increase this, like attack or speed or HP for other commanders) for a total of 8 spells slingable at the opposing army. If the opposing attacking/defending also has a Mage, the 2 take turns slinging, and not to make the mages all offensive, there would be Another tech to research for this unit: Counterspelling. Each time a mage casts a spell, the opposing mages gets a chance to Counterspell (could have 5 tiers of researches here, each one increasing the chance of countering) and if he succeeds he cancels out the spell and/or suffers ome sort of minor backlash from a hasty and ill executd counter (small chance)

Now, to make things interesting, make the first 3 spells in a mages arsenal the above mentioned Evocation, but the remaining 1-5 might well be random offensive spells from spellschools in the city he comes from (like necromancy which summons undead to fight against the army, combat magic to affect a small number of enemy troops negatively, possibly even a fear-type rune spell to scare off a portionof the enemy army)

Now, i see a problem with Level 0 mages being able to kill off a good portion of the enemy with one evocation, so limit the spells he can cast to his own personal level, so he would need to level himself up and gain XP in order to throw around destructive forces(NPCs would also have random-leveld mage units, relevant in level to the specific army size)

Any other suggestions?

waylander69 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 21:17
I like this idea and would add a great twist to an attacking force, well thought out Smoking Thumbs Up
G0DsDestroyer View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 21:29
Don't forget Diplomatic commanders and Trade commanders!
Good idea though, I could use them against your dwarven army to defend the tournament square
And stop posting things to distract me from the tournament GNUWink
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 21:32
How could you possibly be distracted with all that incoming your way?

*PS: Not just talking about mine...
bartimeus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 22:37
Isn't that allready planned for futur development?  I like the idea, but I think magic should be well separated from the rest (which it wouldn't be in your proposition since they would need to be in an army)... I cann't think of a way to do that, but I think it would be great if a player could focus entirely on magic instead of standard millitary (like find some way to cloack a city, invoque foul demon to defend your city).
Bartimeus, your very best friend.
lep View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 22:52
Errrm I'm not sure I understand how this could work, I mean, combat is instant.

You can't have mages in armies taking turns to fling spells around, in an instant combat. Even if you delay combat a few seconds or minutes what if the attacker or defender, or neither, are on line when attack lands?

Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 06:57
It would prob take place just before the actual combat, as the armies move toward each other on the field of combat, and you'd get a separate MSG with the results, like when you run into a Rune when attacking a city.
belargyle View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 08:55
I like it.. it allows more depth to the tactical decisions of sieging a town.. and adds more threats the siege camp and it's protectors.

Add to that... it would be good to be able to send in assassins who not only can kill commanders but also mages.. you just need to select which one you are sending them to eliminate.

Good thinking Smoke.. Keep'em comming!

Bel
mario omega View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 20:32
and maybe we dont need another scool we could shust update blights or make adv.blights
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 21:38
Blights aren't combat spells, they just ruin res production.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic