Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Honest Review of Illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:29
There are different definitions of P2W - thus we should talk about that first. In my opinion P2W is a game where you have an advantage when you invest money compared to others that don't. With that definition both the building and the war part are P2W in Illyriad.

The impact of the P2W aspect can be quite different though.

For the most active builders like me and Quentin the P2W impact is quite low - Quentin bought almost no Prestige with real life money (at least as far as i know) and for me it was ~20% of the Prestige i used (because i wanted to support the game). I could have gotten to max cities without buying Prestige at all (it would have taken me maybe a year longer). I had to completely rebuild all of my cities maybe 5-6 times - i wouldn't have needed to do that with pure P2W. For the average builder the impact of P2W is bigger - as it is harder for them to do both the building and the Prestige/gold acquisition - thus not having to do one is a huge advantage.

In my opinion the biggest P2W impact is in the war game (or PvP) though. There not really caring about gold means the biggest problem for non-P2W players is gone. With enough gold you can run crazy 0% tax production setups and you can also sustain your army that you have been building for x years now. As an example. If i would P2W then i could almost double (!) my current production and i could sustain a 1m Cav army that i have been building for years. You can do that without P2W too - its an insane amount of work though. The P2W player gets that for "free".

That said i think both P2W aspects are necessary to keep the game running. I really don't like it - but i rather play a game with P2W than not have the game to play.

Asvenger View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Asvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 03:29
Love the game and will keep playing even without Cerb and trivia

Three requests:
1. active faction play (is it close?) 
2. some tips on undiscovered mysteries - sadly most everyone has given up on them
3. alternate tournaments such as olympic style multiple events; fighting NPC invasions; finding unique herbs/minerals/creatures/buildings

Thanks Devs!
unplayer View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 22:53

PtW is bad but there there are 2 categories

1) buy pres with real money and use it ( which can have limited effect to the game)

2) buy pres with real money and sell it for Gold (with leads to unlimited advantage since you can pay with $ the gear or the troops …….and buy the efforts of others )

This (2) leads to some people that don’t want to PtW or cannot , to not play an aspect of the game which recoires gold to be able to buy Prestige which is even worse than PtW because leads some people make huge invest on time and effort to have more cities without pay real money, so this make them very sensitive to any chance of losing their effort ( since putting efort and time was the only thing they was doing for that time ( so its like Canceling their game ) ofcourse they have fun throu this )

From the other side players with no effort /time placed just $ ( even ignoring most aspects ) to Win .

But don’t get me whrong been the game separated to builders and Warriors is not bad by itself ( it is good ) bad is the way its sepatated ( throw pres) for me it would be good to be separated bonuses to each other example builders bonus to build and Warriors bonus to troops

cause saparation without Pres Lead to force co operetion which is good things since we play a multiplaier not a single player with chat

Life is a sandbox as well but you still want to take more money.

Huge benefit the Defenders against The attacker is good NOT be a reason to use this troops to Defend or attack is Bad .

i also like this game and i enjoy playing thats why we are talking because we care about it.

Hiei View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 23:05
This game is trash... Quit while you still can before you are addicted.
unplayer View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 06:44

Illy is awesome game it has very good mechanics , a very well designed economy ,a very depth at all aspect , it is very balance at all aspects (except pres use) .

That is why people that come to play the game thinking it as a multiplayer still play it even when they realize that is a singleplayer with a chat.

The game has some some negatives :

1 PtW as said

2 TtW

3 Lack of reasons to interplay

i disagree with anything that would make it easier (like help for mysteries ) cause  its difficulty is not at the negatives but at its positives 

Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 13:32
Originally posted by unplayer unplayer wrote:

PtW is bad but there there are 2 categories

1) buy pres with real money and use it ( which can have limited effect to the game)

2) buy pres with real money and sell it for Gold (with leads to unlimited advantage since you can pay with $ the gear or the troops …….and buy the efforts of others )

This (2) leads to some people that don’t want to PtW or cannot , to not play an aspect of the game which recoires gold to be able to buy Prestige which is even worse than PtW because leads some people make huge invest on time and effort to have more cities without pay real money, so this make them very sensitive to any chance of losing their effort ( since putting efort and time was the only thing they was doing for that time ( so its like Canceling their game ) ofcourse they have fun throu this )

First: Getting a lot of cities with buying Prestige with real money is still a lot of time and effort! Buying the Prestige with gold makes a bit of a difference - but the effort required there is usually a lot less. For builders buying Prestige with real money is an advantage but you can do it without too!

Second: It is in my opinion really important that it is possible to buy Prestige with gold. That also means that 2) is necessary. Not beeing able to buy Prestige via gold means that you HAVE TO pay money to grow. Then not the player that is most skilled or puts in the most effort/time is doing well but the player that pays the most money. And that would be horrible for the game. I don't play games like this (e.g. Diablo Immortal). And if you read the developer statements they do not want it either (see https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/7-prestige_topic183.html)

I also disagree that people putting time and effort into something are less willing to lose something then people paying money for it. It depends on the person and i am sure there are players on both sides (some value time/effort more, some real money).

Edited by Thirion - 28 Jun 2022 at 13:36
Sif View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 07:39
Things change from when the Dev s make that anouncement .
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 05:03
The Devs got side tracked trying to produce the next best game Age of Ascent. I put a question on the Age of Ascent forum and no Dev has replied to this yet. I think they have all gone AWOL, probably because there is no money to pay them. Lack of development = dwindling player base = rampant multi accounting.  Its a self feeding downward spiral into the event horizon. I have given up expecting anything now, and only log on to see if the server is still being paid for. I rarely do much building, only a little hunting and accumulating stocks and prestige. I have almost had it with their attitude of feeding us sh!t in the dark and not communicating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic