illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shrapnel's Legacy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alestrenia View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alestrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrapnel's Legacy
    Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 19:04
Hi,

I'm gathering information for the alliances ITG and SMA about Shrapnel.  Now this is the information I have about this great man.

A quote from him, regarding his goals for the first training alliance can be found here:

The news of his death can be found here:

He has a mention in the History of Illyriad- Incomplete that leaves more questions than answers

And I know from my time in the alliances confederated with FDU-S that he was the one with the idea for the 5% base on sovereignty squares.  His comments can be found here:

But what I cannot find is when the Devs instituted the change.  Can anyone help me find that information?

Thanks in advance,

Alestrenia

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 04:54
I think you are misunderstanding Shrapnel's post regarding the 5% base. He was referring to basic resource production. He proposes that instead of the way basic resource sovereignty works where you essentially get (res value/5) per level of sovereignty (for example a 20-food sov square gives you 20/5 or 4% food bonus per level) there should be an extra 5% at level 1. That was never implemented.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 04:55
Also, any history of Shrapnel should include mention of his alt Grog. He passed away before I started playing, but I played with many who knew him.
Alestrenia View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alestrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 14:01
Thank you for responding, Rill. Yes it does appear after further research that what I was told about the devs implementing a change in sovereignty due to Shrapnel's suggestion was incorrect.  I don't think that reduces his legacy, though.

I know very little about Grog.  I know he started the alliance that later became BSH, and that he liked drink and elf women.  Beyond that, I will have to do more research.

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 02:21
GM Stormcrow has stated elsewhere on the forum and in global chat that Shrapnel made a number of important contributions to Illyriad as a game from a coding perspective. I don't know what the details of those are, but I know that his input was valued and that they even considered offering him a role on the Illyriad team. GM Stormcrow or ThunderCat would know more about the specifics of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic