illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Production rates vs levels for newbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Production rates vs levels for newbs
    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 13:19
Hey All,

I see a lot of new player advice with regards to res plots and it always seems to focus on plot levels, rather than production rates.
Thing is, this isn't necessarily helpful as it's measuring the wrong thing and so when res plots are unbalanced, the result is unbalanced.

To give an example that shows how this might be a problem, let's take the case of a dwarf who wants to go hunting so wants to build up their barracks.
Following the well intentioned advice of GC, they build everything to level 7, but that means their production of stone is 700ph, while their production of iron is just 300 ph. As a result, they find that they're constantly running out of iron when they try to build their barracks while they're stuck with a surplus of stone.

If instead they were told to aim for 500ph in all resources, they'd be on a quicker path to self-sufficiency.

-Eowan

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Bep Cow View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bep Cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 21:23
completely right!
sometimes i have an insane surplus of 1 thing but have like 10k of another
like 250k stone but 5k iron. its a common problem.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 05:40
Using production as a metric rather than resource plot level has always been my recommendation. The fixation with level 7 resources springs from 1) the fact that some resources are unlocked at level 7 and 2) in the distant past there was a big increase in production at level 7 (something that was changed at least 8 years ago when production of low-level resource fields was smoothed so that lower levels produce more).

I would further suggest that newer players set goals for resource production in proportion to population I've found that in small cities producing 100 of each resource (except food) per hour by the time you have 100 population, 200 by 200 population, and 1000 by 500 population is a reasonable goal and allows new players to build independently relatively quickly.

The payoff period gets longer for each level a plot is upgraded, so in terms of resource utilization it is more efficient to upgrade all plots of each type relatively evenly.

One challenge with upgrading the plots of which players have only 3 (clay for elves, wood for orcs, iron for dwarves) is that the "complementary" resource is required in greater quantities to upgrade those plots to higher levels. This may mean that, counterintuitively, both clay and wood plots may need to be upgraded to higher levels than iron and stone for an elf, for example, in order to support needed upgrades to the clay plots.

Of course new players who get help from alliance mates or others can upgrade plots with a focus more purely on keeping production even.

The fact that Ryelle was an elf does somewhat explain why she was so obsessed with clay ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic