Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A novel suggestion.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A novel suggestion.
    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 23:23
I've been talking to lots of people about what they enjoy and dislike about Illy. The most frequent dislike is, perhaps strangely, GC. Many people won't go in there because they believe it is dominated by a few aggressive, trolling individuals. The same names keep coming up - I won't name them but examine the list of people (below) who disagree with what I'm about to suggest......

The suggestion is that when you speak in GC a timer starts and after an hour it expires and then you are silenced from GC for 5 hours.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 00:50
So a new player would in effect only be able to ask a question once every five hours?

eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 00:54
That is quite possibly the worst suggestion I have ever read. 

Edited by eowan the short - 04 Feb 2020 at 00:56
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 01:01
Originally posted by Tensmoor Tensmoor wrote:

So a new player would in effect only be able to ask a question once every five hours?

No! They could ask questions for a whole hour and then go to work and ask another hour's worth of questions after work. Most people don't sit in GC all day.
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

That is quite possibly the worst suggestion I have ever read. 

Can you tell me the second worse one - so I can see what I'm up against?
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 02:27
I will admit to a degree of hyperbole- I don't keep a list of terrible suggestions I've read, let alone a ranked one. To be honest, it's not even the worst idea I've seen you come up with- that would be accusing people of ethnic cleansing over a couple of towns being sieged.

However, I will explain my viewpoint in a bit more detail.

You propose a universal limit on how long people can talk when there is a perfectly adequate solution already in place.

For those who are somehow unaware of it, in Illyriad there is a block function. If you add someone to your block list, you will not be able to see them in chat. They then cannot harass you unless they start IGMing you, at which point it sounds like something to raise with the devs.

In addition to this, I dispute the idea that chat is 'dominated' by anyone. There are significant dead periods in chat pretty regularly these days. If people really feel the need to talk when others aren't around, there is plenty of time to do so.

You have claimed to have talked to 'lots of people' about this, but a few anecdotal accounts of the worst thing in illy isn't really enough to go off. If you want to lend weight to your claims, stick a poll up. 

Not mentioned here are the numerous potential side effects and the reasons why this idea would likely not be successful in its aim. If you'd like to know more about these, send me an IGM and we can arrange a private chat. 
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Skorg View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:20
Wait, I'm a troll? 
LadyLuvs View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyLuvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 15:10
I don't know if I agree with this suggestion on the whole.  I do feel that the nastiness in GC keeps me from going in regularly.  I stopped a long time ago going into GC unless there are the kind personalities that I have always enjoyed talking to.  There aren't a lot left anymore.  Most keep to their AC's themselves.

The personalities in GC can get strong and potent at times but it makes it Illy.  I have had plenty of time to observe GC and know that the personalities are not always repugnant because the vile ones do take a break and the kind ones do get to come out and play from time to time.  You have to remember that you don't know what goes on in peoples real lives that make them act the way they do in GC.  I think GC was better when we had Moderators that could cut the bullying and boasting when it got out of hand.  Filing petitions against players is time consuming and you don't always get responses in a timely fashion.  It think we should just bring back moderators.  They make GC more fun because they keep the BS to a minimum.

Here I am still playing 8 years in contrary to one player's beliefs.   I went through some nastiness in the 1st year I was playing.  The only thing I knew is that abandoning wasn't going to teach any one a lesson because you are just pixels on a screen to some.  All it does is show others can make you give up.  All it does for me is change how I play the game.  I don't need to chat in GC when I have PM's and I can keep in touch with those I want and the rest can just stay words on a screen be it mean words or kind.  It isn't GC that makes or breaks the game.  It is how you handle it.  Most days I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Moderators being there got me to come in a little more frequently though.

Everyone creates their own Karma.  When Karma shows up you either learn your lesson and keep going by making yourself better or you quit because lessons are hard and they hurt sometimes.   

I vote to bring back Moderators to be honest.  Let them make the decision as to how long to silence someone if things get too nasty.  Stop letting the computer do all the work.  A Human touch is always better.
LadyLuvs
Raven, Murder of Crows Alliance
Sif View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 09:41
What if you could choose to chat in GC with a nikname which would not be conected with the real. Maybe it would be a solution. 

Edited by Sif - 04 Sep 2021 at 09:42
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 06:21
I don't know about having to wait 5 hours. I do recall a game where you had a certain allotment of tokens to speak in gc per day (it was 15) and then after that had to pay for premium. You could accumulate the tokens over time so if you didn't talk in one day you could speak 30 times the next.

Of course I would have been out of tokens in no time ...

I don't necessarily support limiting talk in gc (you can always block people who annoy you), but if it were considered I would suggest the above method.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic