illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30JUL19 - Powerful New Runes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BrianN View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30JUL19 - Powerful New Runes
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 17:10
With the new update this problem is valid again.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 20:36
I hope that the defence against thieves will significantly affect thieving by 20,000 of them.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 22:41
As of now places such as the Misted Lands, Fortress of Shadows, and Blackbriar have not given up their secrets.  By incentivizing the building of the Runemaster's Grounding the Devs may be giving us the opportunity to reveal something about these, or other mysteries, that up to this point hasn't be learned or shared with the wider community.  Until we learn something new about these places we can only say their backstory is only background lore.

I wonder what percentage of cities actually use the Runemaster's Grounding?  I'm guessing it is VERY low.  Likewise, the vault wasn't used much prior to the update which granted it the ability to increase city storage capacity.  Suspicion is that the vault is helpful to retain tentacles within a city. 
BrianN View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 19:46
"Some of these players may stumble upon another activity which pushes the line between "its only lore" and "its part of a mystery/quest/discovery" in a new direction. "
Are you talking about tactical shifts or actual finding of new features? Please explain.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 13:52
Here is another theory...  There will be a lot of Runemaster's Grounding structures going up to complete yet more research.  Some of these players may stumble upon another activity which pushes the line between "its only lore" and "its part of a mystery/quest/discovery" in a new direction.  I am suggesting that there may be more than meets the eye here.  I believe there were similar motivations a few years back when the vault was updated to include capacity and not just protecting of resources which most bigger players found to be useless.  

To the misted lands!
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 08:59
Originally posted by BrianN BrianN wrote:

These runes are turning an already defensive-leaning game into farmville.

The mechanics are not the problem - the players are. In (most) other games you only have war (and maybe trade), in Illy you can do a lot of other stuff (hunt, quest, craft, tournaments). Thus a big part of the player base are not PVP players but PVE (including tournaments) players.

This is also an update that disproportionally hurts new players as they have less infrastructure to support sov and large numbers of standing armies.

It hurts new PVP players but helps new PVE players as they can defend better against attacks. And that is the point - there are more PVE players then PVP.

This game is already stagnant with people building inpenetrable powerbases and now its got even worse.  The last update was all defensive as well.

Thats not true in my opinion. There is no inpenetrable powerbase. TCol won (as far as i know ) a war against one of the former Top5 alliances without much problems (as far as i know Vortex just ran away) and the by far biggest alliance didn't want to defend their confed. Sin and The Scarecrows won multiple wars againts the former Crow alliances or confeds which were a lot bigger.

Unless this is at least quickly mitigated by buffs to offensive abilities, this is a very underrated harmful update.

I disagree. It helps smaller, active non-PVP players and big PVP players do not really care. Smaller PVP players can still help with sieges and other stuff.

You've got somewhat of a point there wartow, however, it is still a buff for defense in a game thats already too skewed to defense.

What? Defense SUCKS in this game. If you ever participated in tournaments you would know that you can't really defend squares effectively- especially against Cav - on all terrains (plains are suicide, everything else is better but still bad).

And well, you don't attack cities directly (you should siege them first) - thus city defense is kind of pointless. Against inactive players you have to clear the runes once (and you can do that with any cheap unit).

The game is kind of balanced because sieges force the attacker to defend instead of attack. Other then that Offense is way better then defense. I can show you multiple reports from the last tournament were we got slaughtered in defense (with 5:1 and better ratios) and don't have any reports were we got good ratios as defender (even against kobolds, one of the worst attack unit in the game).
BrianN View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 07:22
You've got somewhat of a point there wartow, however, it is still a buff for defense in a game thats already too skewed to defense.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 01:43
Players worried about 250, 500, or 750 troops aren't attacking cities that are able to put up this level of defense.
SirBradly View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirBradly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 23:56
I like
BrianN View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 22:49
Hi, been playing this game for over 15 months, this is my first forum post because Im really concerned about the direction the game is going.

These runes are turning an already defensive-leaning game into farmville.

Troops have now been nerfed...HARD.  It used to be that attacking a city would cost you 250 troops, now its 750.
This is especially harmful to cavalry...now it takes nearly a week's worth of troop building (6.94 days of building without sov bonus) to have even one cav unit attack a city.

The problem is that people often dont see the secondary and tertiary consequences of a change...this update also gives more power to orcs.  Powerful attacking units have been SEVERELY nerfed.  This is also an update that disproportionally hurts new players as they have less infrastructure to support sov and large numbers of standing armies.

Then you put up on this the effect of runemaster buildings...2 weeks' worth of troops thrown away in an instant from just one building!

This game is already stagnant with people building inpenetrable powerbases and now its got even worse.  The last update was all defensive as well.

Unless this is at least quickly mitigated by buffs to offensive abilities, this is a very underrated harmful update.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic