illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Illyriad II......coming to a server near you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SPQR View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPQR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 10:16
We've seen games that reset after every year or two and each time it's the same process.

What the game needs is more updates to encourage players to stay and not leave after a week or after they have 10 cities. A start would be the 3D map promised to illyrians but never delivered.

A mistake was the devs rushing the release of broken lands in order to satisfy Gordy and his crew of players.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 15:09
The nice thing about Illy, and probably why there is much griping, is there is always potential for changes.  We see the potential and would like more GM-initiated content.  I think that is a sign that the game has been built on a good foundation and that any changes are usually well-measured.  

As a community things like Defy Death fixes cause a stink and we get so upset when rules evolve and we don't like change, but yet want changes.  

Make sense?  We are a finicky bunch.

What can you do?  Be welcoming to new players, offer to help them learn the game and make progress.  Support those that may participate in conflict and are capable of doing so as adults.  The economy of Illyriad has plenty of room for those interested in trade, quests, and tournament/event activities.  You may not be able to do everything you want exactly where you want, but such is reality.

Good luck as this world persists!
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 19:23
Originally posted by Tensmoor Tensmoor wrote:

I've played games that opened new worlds (servers) quite often. The new worlds very quickly became exactly like the old ones.

Precisely.

The idea that a fresh server start would favor currently marginalized non-paying players or some other obscure group is just silly. I'd love a server reset. That would allow SINdicate to unite all the remaining competent military players under a single banner. With extreme organization and a deep knowledge of the game mechanics, mega-SINdicate would rule the new server uncontested.

That happens in most cyclical MMORTS. The previous winners consolidate. The only challenge to their dominance comes from p2w mechanics that allow new entrants with deep pockets to just buy a server victory. Absent that (as in Illyriad), the biggest and most organized will win.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 19:32
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

The economy of Illyriad has plenty of room for those interested in trade, quests, and tournament/event activities. 

Do people still trade in this game? My perception of the markets is that they are a pale ghost of the 2012-2014 era. I think permasat farms have taken root in most big alliances.

I'm very interested in these quests. Please tell me more about them. Or rather, the single long-term (potentially buggy) quest in the game that has a poor reward for a seemingly impossible amount of effort. Honestly, I think 99.9% of Illyriad stopped caring about the racial crafting quest around 2013. Epidemic and Nesse might have been the last ones who truly cared (meaning cared enough to do more than idly talk).

There is a yearly tournament. I will give you that.

The most interesting activities in the sandbox are the ones created by the players themselves.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
white willow View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote white willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 14:08
I have played a lot of the server ending games and for what they are I have done well. Illy is not one of those. Keep in mind the winner in those games are not confeds it's a single alliance of no more than 40 active members which takes a lot of back stabbing to get there.

Illy can improve, dropping the sitter multi accounting scam for one. Earned vacation time for active players is one way to correct that.Limit alliances to 40 active members is another. If sitters stay then they should not be allowed to move troops in that account or trade with vans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic