illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faction Play: SiegeQuest 1 - OCT 7, 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faction Play: SiegeQuest 1 - OCT 7, 2020
    Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 01:46
Hello, Illyrians!

I am pleased to announce the launch of Faction Play's first official server-wide event: SiegeQuest 1! The military event is set to begin on October 7, 2020, but preparations for the event are already underway. 

A SiegeQuest is a dynamic military event within the Faction Play gaming circuit that gives players and alliances the opportunity to participate in an active siege battle -- either on offense or defense. This is NOT a war -- it is more like a tournament. The cities being sieged are either inactive or owned by players who consent to be sieged, and all participation in the event is 100% voluntary. It is simply a fun way for players to experience a real siege battle without anyone getting offended or sucked into a war that they don't want to be in.

Here are the details:

• SiegeQuest 1 will involve two sieges -- one in Elgea, and one in the Broken Lands.
  • The conflict will pitch player-led factions ELVES and Dlord against ORCS.
  • Players and alliances will have the opportunity to join either ELVES/Dlord or ORCS and assist them in their siege/defense.
For this first SiegeQuest, there are some limits on the amount and types of troops that players can use. This is to keep the playing field even so that smaller players and alliances can participate. The rules are as follows:

• No elites.
  • No T3 gear that increases attack or defense. (Gear that speeds armies and/or reduces attack/defense are ok.)
  • Army sizes are limited to 5K in XP value. If you are unsure how to calculate this, please consult this chart:

• Siege armies will be allowed up to 25K in total forces, not including siege engines.

Again, in future SiegeQuest events we'll open up the rules considerably, but baby steps for now.

All are welcome to participate, no matter how big or small you are. Here's how:

1. Consult the Faction Play Alliance Rankings to see which faction your alliance ranks positively with. You can see consolidated rankings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uoMq3KZQDhywSucwA-9tmb_NfO3tIFDz-OU6_gdPL5w/edit#gid=0
  2. Send a message to the Faction that you want to align with and pledge your support.
  3. The Faction will coordinate with you on offense or defense.
  4. NOTE: Your alliance will have to arrange a NAP withthe Faction you are supporting if you intend to reinforce.
It is strongly advised that participants join the Faction Play Slack Account, which will serve as a central planning platform for both sides. You can join here.

FAQs

War is really, really mean / we are a peaceful alliance. Wouldn't this constitute war / PvP?

SiegeQuest is definitely PvP, but it is nothing like the "metawars" that many echew in Illyriad. SiegeQuest is like a tournament in that 1) the battle is a set-piece and not a tactical/strategic maneuver to hurt or weaken another player or alliance, and 2) everyone involved wants to be involved and players decide how many of their troops they want to risk in the event.

Sieging people is really, really mean. It breaks my heart to think of someone losing their precious city!

No worries! All players within the Faction Play gaming circuit are 100% opted in to the action. No one is ever sieged against their will; they are willing to put their cities on the line for the sake of making Faction Play events more dynamic and realistic for other players like you. Faction Play also looks for inactive cities to use as set-pieces as well. No matter what, the only players who ever risk the loss of a city are consenting Faction Players.

I'm not in an alliance. Can I still play?

Sure! If you re an elf, you can request to join ELVES temporarily for the event. The same is true for dwarves and Dlord, or orcs and ORCS. If you are a human, we can likely help to place you in an affiliated alliance so that you can be involved. [NOTE: we still need an all-human Faction!]

Faction Players like to role-play their characters, but I'm not interested in that. Can I still play?

Absolutely. Not even everyone in the player-led Factions role play, and you don't have to, either. We strongly encourage role playing because we feel that it makes interactions less "personal," and we all know that personal conflicts have long driven very ugly, messy, and divisive wars in the game. Playing a character adds richness and fun to conflicts, as well as some "distance" between ourselves and the actions that occur in the game. But it is not a requirement.

I really don't like [insert Faction Player name here] and I'm going to break the rules of your stupid event to seek revenge on them.

This is exactly what Faction Play is trying to get rid of in the game. If you have a beef against one of us, that's fine, but flagrantly breaking the rules to get at a specific player, or just to ruin the fun for a bunch of people will not be tolerated. Some of the player-led factions loathe one another as part of role-playing fun, but as a gaming league, we are 100% unified and support each other completely in the game. We ask that you please bring this level of respect to your interactions with Faction Play as well.

Who should I contact?

• ELVES/Dlord -- For Elgea: Ironhand, Duran / For BL: Jejune
  • ORCS -- Elgea/BL: Eowan the Orc

We really hope you'll give this a try! Our goal here is not to win or lose a siege, but to get as many of you involved as possible. A modest goal is to have about a dozen or so players involved on each team, outside of the members from ELVES, Dlord and ORCS. If you want in, then we want to hear from you!

Alliances: feel free to pledge support of a faction in this thread!

OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 09:39
One of the best player initiated set-ups. Easy to follow and fun to play. Faction Play combines role play with action, attacks and defences.  It can combine with Illyriad's Faction narratives making each event original and entertaining. This a refreshing way to play Illyriad.  Alliances join up!Clap
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 14:14
Thank you, Ossianll! We agree about incorporating the NPC/dev-created Factions as well. Were already using them in quests that we do with players, as well as with our alliance ranking algorithm. For the algorithm, each faction has unique modifiers assigned to their faction hubs and, depending on how close an alliance's capital is to those hubs, they affect the overall ranking of the alliance in relation to the player-led factions.

that being said, we're looking for even more ways to incorporate the NPC Factions. We'd love to hear more ideas!

Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 00:54
Hello, Faction Play enthusiasts! 

Just a quick update to say that we're seeing a high level of interest and engagement from players and alliances in both Elgea and BL for the SiegeQuest event. Some of the game's biggest alliances are signing on to aid either ELVES, Dlord or ORCS.

Thanks to a generous presence scroll donation from Fellos in YARR, every player who participates in SiegeQuest is going to get a limited edition medal that will never be minted again

If you are a medal collector, this is going to be a rare one. (We will do subsequent medals for future SiegeQuests, but each one will be different.)

Please be sure to check your rankings and sign on with a Faction for SiegeQuest today!

eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 21:27
ORCS is formally withdrawing from the siege quest. This is due to significant issues with the rules, and their interpretations.

We're also going to be withdrawing from faction play as a whole until such a time that a system is in place that we feel is fit for purpose with regards to inter-factional quests, and until we are large enough to compete in whatever system is created.

A lot of lessons have been learnt as a part of the first siege quest. Obviously, there were always going to be teething issues with a new system. I would like to thank everyone who was getting involved. I look forward to seeing the outcome of the yarr/elves siege in BL.
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 22:49
We are sorry to see that ORCS is withdrawing from the event, and from Faction Play as a whole. Eowan is right that it is not easy to immediately unlearn the long-established behaviors and tendencies of the meta game and "Metawar" as I call it. We clearly needed a lot more internal discussion and agreement on very granular rules than we established, and we'll be sure to do so in the future.

We will huddle on what we will do for the Elgean potion of SiegeQuest, but we will definitely make sure that there is Elgean participation. Stay tuned.

As for the SiegeQuest event, I can tell you that the event is still very much on in the Broken Lands, where ELVES is planning a siege and is being sieged at the same time! For those of you engaged in the BL battle theatre, there is no disruption in this action.

Skorg View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 02:30
poor Eowan
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 05:07
Not really, things like this very much are to be expected early on with a system like this.

Part of the issue was that the rules were not properly designed to accommodate for creative play. Jejune wrote them assuming that only conventional mechanics would be used. As such, there is disagreement within the faction play community as to whether things like using terras to block squares is a valid tactic or against the spirit of things.

The goal of faction play is to allow pvp without all the personal bs, however when the rules are not clear, personal bs has a tendency to stray into it. Clear rules that are flexible enough to deal with creative play are essential to a project like this.

I've proposed this framework in an attempt to deal with many of the issues discovered within this siege quest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N53gAKWkePjwhgVNdJhHr5t_SMUASNKbr8aY5X4NUuk/edit?usp=sharing

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 02:17
SiegeQuest 1 Recap

SiegeQuest 1 is now officially concluded, and I’d like to thank everyone who participated. While it was a shame that the Elgean portion of the event was cancelled, the Broken Lands theatre of battle was a great first step in making SiegeQuests a dynamic, tournament-like server event that lets people experience unlimited siege warfare in a 100% consenting, opt-in, role-playing environment.

Rest assured, SiegeQuest 2 (slated for December) will include an exciting Elgean event with high-stakes sieging!

Elgea

In spite of the Elgean cancellation, Lord Duran and the Dlords assembled a total of 52 participants who were ready to participate. We’ve provided medals for all of those folks, whose participation was cut short by no fault of their own.

Factions and Alliances included:
  • Dlord
  • ORCS
  • MAIAR
  • SkB
  • ELVES
  • RUM
  • ITG

Broken Lands

There were two simultaneous sieges going on in the BL — a siege sent by ELVES on a YARR! city (role-playing lore liked YARR with ORCS for this siege), and a siege from The Shadow [?] sent at ELVES.

Over 40 separate players participated in these two sieges! Alliances involved included:
  • ELVES
  • ?
  • YARR!
  • mCrow
  • DiL
  • SAINT
  • RUM
  • AESIR

Here is a recap of some of the action:

Siege on dogbert’s (YARR!) city of Solatin

ELVES launched two siege armies at the derelict city, which landed on the north and south small hills. RUM mounted a third siege stack on the southeast forest square, with the siege army being provided by Eternal Fire (a joint operation). The Shadow launched several attacks at the sieges and YARR reinforced the city with some local troops. The city was directly attacked by a host of players, including Darth Darius (SAINT), Ria (DiL) and other players from alliances who are not in Faction Play.

Finally, the city was razed.

Siege on Eternal Fire’s (ELVES) city of ioFlip

The Shadow mounted a surprise siege on Eternal Fire’s city of ioFlip, placing a cornucopia of spears on a building square to the southeast of the city. They also locked the city down with a blockade. Inbound attacks came from ELVES and mCrow, but nothing could slow down the siege engines, and they destroyed the city down to a population of 1.

The keep of the city (the wall) remained intact, however, as well as a contingent of small defensive forces composed of about 15 different players. Direct attacks on this force buckled them, but when the siege force attempted to storm, the greenskins were overwhelmed by the host of reinforcing troops that remained in the keep. The siege was thwarted, but not after laying total waste to the city. This siege could be marked as a draw.

Medals

Medals have been given out to all participants. These are special medals, because they give the bearer the ability to impart a +1 ranking change for the alliance they are in that lasts for 90 days with the Faction who gave it to them. So, medals given by Dlord can be used to affect rankings with them; the medals given by ELVES do the same.

Please note that, due to ORCS withdrawing from SiegeQuest and Faction Play, there was no orc-friendly Faction to provide medals to The Shadow or ORCS’ allies who participated. Thus, ELVES issued these medals.

Next Up: SiegeQuest 2

If you missed out on SiegeQuest 1, don’t worry: SiegeQuest 2 is right around the corner. we will look to launch it in early December, just off of the end of the November tournament. We really want as many people involved as possible. If you want to get ready for it, the best thing to do is get involved in Faction Play with any of the Factions. Feel free to check your rankings and act accordingly. There are plenty of quests, role playing, and other fun things to do.

Also, be sure to join Faction Play Slack. It’s the most central place to stay in touch.

Still Needed: More Factions!

Do you run an alliance that would be a good fit for Faction Play? We want you to be a part of what we’re building! The Faction Play circuit will provide you with all of the support you need to make the jump into being a Faction. It does NOT preclude you from playing in tournaments at all. Contact Jejune if interested.

Thanks!

Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Not really, things like this very much are to be expected early on with a system like this.

Part of the issue was that the rules were not properly designed to accommodate for creative play. Jejune wrote them assuming that only conventional mechanics would be used. As such, there is disagreement within the faction play community as to whether things like using terras to block squares is a valid tactic or against the spirit of things.

The goal of faction play is to allow pvp without all the personal bs, however when the rules are not clear, personal bs has a tendency to stray into it. Clear rules that are flexible enough to deal with creative play are essential to a project like this.

I've proposed this framework in an attempt to deal with many of the issues discovered within this siege quest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N53gAKWkePjwhgVNdJhHr5t_SMUASNKbr8aY5X4NUuk/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry for the late reply, i just read Eowans message. In my opinion it is important though to call out Eowan on some of the things he does.

I really do not get what you were trying to do. The first SiegeQuest was supposed to be a test who wants to participate and to see how it works out. The player faction play is a new concept that was not really tested. So why not start slow, see how it works out and then step up? Why not give us a terra to siege and see how that works?

Instead you skipped the "start slow", "test the rules and participation" and went into full "advanced PVP strategy" with a new and untested concept? Why?

I do like the idea of using terras to make the siege harder. I do think people should use/try that (or similar stuff) later on. But not on the first one.

A lot of people where looking forward to the siege. Some of our players put a lot of work into it. All gone to waste because of Eowan. And for what?

In my opinion Eowan really screwed up.

That said, thanks a lot Jejune and team, you are doing an amazing job.

Edited by Thirion - 10 Oct 2020 at 16:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic