FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvaluation of the Tourny.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 20:01
Most complaints and compliments I agree with.

Some observations (not original, granted):
The entire event seemed like an endurance test. Maybe that was the point. I dropped near the end, my loss. If you stuck it out you got the big XP.

The stone locations were purely coincidental, but I was 3 squares from one so no complaint personally.

The idea was to participate, figure out the mechanics, share and learn from others. In that it was a complete success. I can attest however, to the ho hum attitude of smaller, less experienced players. Many assumed they couldn't join in because of their size and no rhetoric to the contrary could convince them otherwise. Guess that could weed out the less interested, but I think it pushes them out sooner than necessary and even the less active are beneficial and deserve some consideration.
Bonfyr Verboo
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 20:43
Very much a click fest.  Not much strategy, really.   Load up armies and send to stones in time to activate.  Build replacement troops for the next day's reload of the army.  Rinse, Repeat.

Randomness of attacking forces probably evened out if a player was able to spend every night, all night on a stone. 

I also got the sense that the undead armies adjusted size based on the size of the defending army - a larger defending army would be hit with larger undead armies than a smaller defending army would face.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 22:34
Peace and H? actually had some good tactical back and forths, though, TD. Were quite fun...
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 22:43
I liked this tournament, especially I liked the storyline to it. So, um, when are we getting the "chapter wrap-up" for this section of the story? Big smile

My alt account is small, basically had no standing army when this event started, had the nearest standing stones at least 2 hours away, and yet she still finished in the top 5 of her league. And she's human, so she didn't have super-strong ranged or spear defensive units.

Mara had two main commanders out: one had the nearest standing stone 3 hours away and the other had one on her level 5 sovereignty for that city. The commander with the sovereignty standing stone had a slightly larger army to start with, and both had the same ability to produce troops. Yet the one that DIDN'T have the nearby standing stone with nice sov defensive bonus was the one that was at #10 in my league before that last, big hit. The army with all the advantages was much lower.

I grant that the ability to get your armies out on the stones for the full night was a deciding factor in most leagues, but I don't see evidence that some of the other things brought up here made a deciding difference in who won and who didn't.

Despite the fact that last, big hit knocked Mara's top commander down to #16 in her league, I think it was a clever way of taking the luck element (which people were complaining about) out of it. If I'd had my other commander out--the one with the sov bonus--she would have had more troops left and would have jumped up in the rankings. By how much, I don't know. My top commander was just barely holding on and would have won a top ten spot by luck. The difference between me and those below me was only a few hundred experience. But the final attack showed that 5 other players had been able to endure the attacks better than me, and so they earned more experience in that final battle. It seems fair to me.

If I'd realized earlier how powerful that last army was, I might have pulled out my troops only to regret it later when I realized what purpose it played. So I'm glad I didn't have a chance.

Edited by Mara Zira - 21 Jan 2012 at 22:59
Southern Dwarf View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 14:03
I thought it was interesting until my armies get wiped out by players who not even did read the rules. Then I quit the tournament knowing that I would not be able to compete further. But from what I gathered it was less mystery than I had hoped for. More scouting and spying for clues would be preferable for me but for those who like big numbers and fighting it was of course a good tournament.

Edit: But is a different tournament no option? Soon after I joined the third tournament started in which I killed things. The next one was too tought for me but the goal was to kill things. Now we killed othern things. I once thought Illyriad got more debth than just killing but since tournaments are the biggest events in the game I am not sure anymore. :(

Edited by Southern Dwarf - 22 Jan 2012 at 14:13
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 23:36
I enjoyed the tourney and if nothing else it allowed me to train up my defensive commanders but it could have been so much more. The problem was that it was 29 nights of pretty much the same thing followed by one almighty slaughter fest on the last night.
If the numbers of undead had increased more significantly each night then players within allies could have wound up reinforcing a few commanders. I really expected it to go more along those lines where no single army could stand night after night. Tactically this would have been a lot more interesting. Involving players and alliances to work together to give one commander a chance. As it was the larger players survived every night with ease and could simply keep building troops as fast as they were losing them meaning they still had large enough armies left at the end to defeat the final onslaught. 
So good but a chance missed in my books.
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 03:59
I think my biggest complaint about the tournament was that it happened during what is the busiest holiday season of the year. I had company come in a few days before Christmas, then stay until the day after Christmas, then just around the corner was New Years.

As I was already a very new player, who had heard the Global Chat refrain of "you don't need an army, you're too small for an army!" I was already behind, esp as my population -just- enough at the time, I think, to get me moved up one league. Once the holiday hit I was pretty much out with no hope of building troops fast enough to keep up with the slaughter.
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by Beriadanwen Beriadanwen wrote:

I think my biggest complaint about the tournament was that it happened during what is the busiest holiday season of the year.

Personally I contend the opposite. I'd prefer multiple, continual tournaments to be run on a permanent basis. My issue is that lack of tournaments. A majority of players play the game wanting to participate in conflict to a degree. A tournament is currently the only forum in which to do so. And in running multiple tournaments simultaneously players would have the ability to chose their preferred format most relevant to their size and enjoyment.

Edited by Llyorn Of Jaensch - 23 Jan 2012 at 15:30
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 16:01
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

I think my biggest complaint about the tournament was that it happened during what is the busiest holiday season of the year.

Personally I contend the opposite. I'd prefer multiple, continual tournaments to be run on a permanent basis. My issue is that lack of tournaments. A majority of players play the game wanting to participate in conflict to a degree. A tournament is currently the only forum in which to do so. And in running multiple tournaments simultaneously players would have the ability to chose their preferred format most relevant to their size and enjoyment.

I dont see how that is opposite to the above, infact I agree with both comments.

multiple ongoing tournaments would be great, yet by running this tournament through Xmas and New Year.  Many players that have family commitments and RL friends most probably did not bother taking part, such as I did.  If tourneys were ongoing then missing a period such as this need not be an issue.

However, as I had better things to be doing in RL I have missed out on what was virtually the only thing of interest in this game for several months. 

I had gotten both my accounts into the top 10 in the first week, but realised it was not worth continuing to play, as I would not be online much if at all for 12 days of the tourney.  Wish it had been delayed till the New Year.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 21:19

Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

I dont see how that is opposite to the above, infact I agree with both comments.

multiple ongoing tournaments would be great, yet by running this tournament through Xmas and New Year.  Many players that have family commitments and RL friends most probably did not bother taking part, such as I did.  If tourneys were ongoing then missing a period such as this need not be an issue.

However, as I had better things to be doing in RL I have missed out on what was virtually the only thing of interest in this game for several months. 

I had gotten both my accounts into the top 10 in the first week, but realised it was not worth continuing to play, as I would not be online much if at all for 12 days of the tourney.  Wish it had been delayed till the New Year.

Yes to this.

Actually the beauty of Illyriad is that players themselves can organize and carry out pretty much any sort of "game" or "tournament" or what have you.

Here's some blatant self promotion:
(click on "out there" for some ideas)

There's a few interested players around, I think. We just need something to do. Whether developer controlled, or not (even just a bit of tinkering could blossom into something exciting) multiple, continuous tournaments would be great to have around for whenever you have the time. A handful of alliances could get the ball rolling. To me it seems as simple as posting rules and a time line, getting the word out and participation. Participation should come if there's enough publicity. The real challenge is to have some simple rules that can include a wide range of players. Military would be the most obvious and in demand, I would assume but diplo and trade can be done too. I'm sure there's some ideas out there. 

Edited by abstractdream - 24 Jan 2012 at 05:49
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic