Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dwarfen Lore
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:51
THE OATH OF THE SLAYER

"I am a dwarf, my honour is my life and without it I am nothing. I shall become a Slayer, I shall seek redemption in the eyes of my ancestors. I shall become as death to my enemies until I face he that takes my life and my shame" - from Ancestral Honour by Gav Thorpe.

While many of the other races view promises and commitments with a pragmatic eye, Dwarfs hold their honour in the highest regard, and uphold their oaths in a way that can only be described as nigh-obsessive. If something somehow prevents a Dwarf from fulfilling his oath, then he becomes shamed more deeply than any other race could even conceive of. Any Dwarf dishonoured so thoroughly has only one choice: to stand before the shrine to Grimnir, the ancestor God of battle, and take the Slayer's oath, swearing to atone for his sin through an honourable death in combat. He forsakes his traditional armour, shaves his beard, ritually tattoos himself, and then sets off to rid himself of the shame and regret that haunt him. Slayers are just as stubborn as any other Dwarf, and dying quietly is simply not in their nature. The Slayers therefore become ruthless and terrifying fighters, throwing themselves into battle with no regard for their own well-being as they desperately search for a foe that is strong enough to end their painful quest

There is an example of roleplay in this game where Epidemic's actions in Ragallon in single - handedly facing attacks from 24 members of Crow alliances shows that he is roleplaying a fearless slayer who seeks a mighty doom to satsfy his ancestors.

As a dwarf I say "Dreng Tromm.  Epi Krodrengi . Granit dum Granit barak."

May Griminir judge you worthy to sit and sup in the Halls of The Ancestors!  

Edited by Ossian - 05 Mar 2013 at 12:53
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by Ossian Ossian wrote:

THE OATH OF THE SLAYER

"I am a dwarf, my honour is my life and without it I am nothing. I shall become a Slayer, I shall seek redemption in the eyes of my ancestors. I shall become as death to my enemies until I face he that takes my life and my shame" - from Ancestral Honour by Gav Thorpe.

While many of the other races view promises and commitments with a pragmatic eye, Dwarfs hold their honour in the highest regard, and uphold their oaths in a way that can only be described as nigh-obsessive. If something somehow prevents a Dwarf from fulfilling his oath, then he becomes shamed more deeply than any other race could even conceive of. Any Dwarf dishonoured so thoroughly has only one choice: to stand before the shrine to Grimnir, the ancestor God of battle, and take the Slayer's oath, swearing to atone for his sin through an honourable death in combat. He forsakes his traditional armour, shaves his beard, ritually tattoos himself, and then sets off to rid himself of the shame and regret that haunt him. Slayers are just as stubborn as any other Dwarf, and dying quietly is simply not in their nature. The Slayers therefore become ruthless and terrifying fighters, throwing themselves into battle with no regard for their own well-being as they desperately search for a foe that is strong enough to end their painful quest

As a dwarf I say "Dreng Tromm.  Epi Krodrengi . Granit dum Granit barak."

May Griminir judge you worthy to sit and sup in the Halls of The Ancestors!  

Amazing. Love it! Fabulous rp.

Originally posted by Ossian Ossian wrote:

There is an example of roleplay in this game where Epidemic's actions in Ragallon in single - handedly facing attacks from 24 members of Crow alliances shows that he is roleplaying a fearless slayer who seeks a mighty doom to satsfy his ancestors.

I don't see anything honorable about what he did. And I don't see any correlation to the marvelous excerpt on dwarves. I think picking a fight when someone settles outside your 10 square rule is stupid (I have had to back down when I thought someone was inside my 10 and they were actually 10.something in the past. It happens). Picking it with the leading alliance in the largest confederacy in the game is suicidal. And bringing it to the forums shows a rare degree of cognitive dysfunction.

Edited by Kumomoto - 05 Mar 2013 at 16:38
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 18:07
Ossian, thank you for the reference. I'm a huge fan of Gav Thorpe and Gotrek the Slayer, and yes, i've decided to go out proud, stubborn in the face of annihilation. No better way for an dwarf.

Kumomoto, shame on you. You were there in GC when I said 'some alliance is trying to extort 1M from me LOL'. You, like everyone else in gc at the time kept asking me who it was, I said I would not name the alliance and that was the end of it. Way to go on joining the bandwagon.

Edited by Epidemic - 05 Mar 2013 at 18:08
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 18:27
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

Kumomoto, shame on you. You were there in GC when I said 'some alliance is trying to extort 1M from me LOL'. You, like everyone else in gc at the time kept asking me who it was, I said I would not name the alliance and that was the end of it. Way to go on joining the bandwagon.

That's true. I was asking you who it was. I admit that. But I never told you to come to the forums with it...
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 18:54
Player General Chat has discovered mundane item Teacup.

> Use Water on Teapot
    The teapot is now full of cold water.
> Use Teapot on Hearth
    The teapot boils for a while and whistles!
> Take Teapot
> Use Tea on Teacup
    The teacup has tea leaves inside.
> Use Teapot on Teacup
    You have brewed a cup of fine black tea!
> Cast Drama on Teacup
    Oh dear!

Achievement Unlocked: Tempest in a Teacup
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 18:56
The fiction section of the forums are for roleplay stories only, not discussions of in-game feuds. 

GM Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic