illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Durans Newbie Guide.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Duran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Duran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Durans Newbie Guide.
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 16:56
Duran's Guide for Illyriad Newbies

First off, welcome to Dwarven Lords! Young beardling, you have quite the challenge before you to raise from your, "Beardling" status. However together, we shall get you there! In this guide, you will learn the stages of becoming self sufficient, the basics on how to hunt, how to harvest, and more importantly, GET YOU SOME SHINIES! :D

Ahead, I'm going to list some things that you should do first. As you are going to recieve many gifts from both the longbeards, and other established beardlings. Probably some people from the General Chat as well. You're going to want room for all of these things!

Week 1 Building Goals.

Storehouse lvl 10.

Consulate  lvl 5

Library lvl 6-7

Res plots (clay pits, iron mines, quarries, and lumberjacks) lvl 6 all the way around

Farmyards lvl 8 all across

Marketplace lvl 12

Cottages 6 or 7 of them

Skinners Guild

Miners Guild

Arch Office lvl 10

Mage Tower lvl 6

Barracks lvl 5

Editorial Note: Beardlings, you do not have to do this in any particular order. These are just some goals that are obtainable, but it can take longer than 1 week, so don't get discouraged!

Week 1 Research Goals.

City Tab

Timekeeping

Bureaucracy

Architecture

Diplomacy Tab

Counter Intelligence

Scouting

Quest Tab

Bartending

Trade Contacts

Magic Tab

Arcana

Principa Magica

Runes

Mark of Seeking

Seeking Rune

Military Tab

Militia

Conscription

Infantry

Strategem

Occupy

Trade Tab

Haggling

Bartering

Trading

Improved Loading

Reinforced Cartwheels

Baggage Train

Cotters

Foraging

Scavenging

Grape picking (optional)

Guilds

Miners Guild

Geology

Skinners Guild

Butchery

Editorial Note: Beardlings, you do not have to do this in any particular order. These are just some goals that are obtainable, but it can take longer than 1 week, so don't get discouraged!

You probably aren't sure what Cotters, Skinners, or Miners even do. So let me shed some light on that.

Cotters harvest things like basic herbs, minerals, and hides!

Skinners harvest things like animal parts from your kills!

Miners harvest rare minerals, like arterium!

Caravans, can also be used to harvest basic resources. Clay, Iron, Stone, Wood, and Food!

By having your barracks at lvl 5, and the research goals met, you should be able to build up some infantry. In your travels, and gifts. You will undoubtedly find yourself with a surpirsing amount of gold (SHINIES) and no idea what to do with it. THIS is what you need your SHINIES for. I recommend building up two separate Hunting parties of 100 Axemen each. (We will provide all of the equipment needed for this) But do not make this your main focus at first.

Build up your cottages and go to your Marketplace, Unit Production Tab, and make you however many cotters you have made cottages. Begin harvesting the basic herbs around you. Once you have the research done for Skinners, then start your barracks.

Res plots!

We are going to be giving you plenty of resources.Once you get your Storehouse to lvl 10 or 12 , focus on your farmyards, get them to level 7 all across first. Then from here. Focus on getting your res plots up equally across the board. I encourage you to get your Iron Mines a little bit higher than the rest, you are only starting with 3 at first.

Marketplace!

Once you've got this built up and your research is done, you should have 20 caravans, that you are going to use to sell your harvests and victorious winnings to the market and make millions of gold, legitimately. :D

Architects Office!

This will drastically speed your builds up. So I recommend you get this going, quickly after your City Research is finished!

Mages Tower!

Who likes roasting thieves?! I DO! Get your Magic Research done and get that seeking rune ready to roast you some thieving scoundrels!

Library!

This is your primary source of Research Points, although I'm sure you will encounter some books you can read for Research points as well. But seriously DO NOT forget about the library!

Consulate!

This is more for a week 2 discussion, but for week 1 purposes, establish yourself some scouts! So you can scout out your future NPC's to die!

Barracks!

Remember those fun reasons you joined this game?! WARRRRRR! You probably shouted to the heavens. Well, there's a reason you are reading this last. Although War's do happen, they are more prepared for. Rather then fought. However, if someone decides to mess with you a little too much. They will be eradicated. But you're gonna need those soldiers right?! Well now you can build up those two hunting parties. When you begin Hunting and Gathering, here are some helpful. and the recommended way to gather your Victory spoils!

Step 1:

Using your scouts from your consulate. Scout out the square your NPC target is on.

Step 2:

Pending on the amount of troops, you may want to combine your armies. OR send one, whatever you deem appropriate. You will send them to OCCUPY the square, not the ATTACK option.

Step 3:

Send your cotters first, and then your skinners second to collect your spoils. Cotters and Skinners can NOT be on the same square, at the SAME time.

Now Beardling, you will have an open strategy on self sufficiency, and how to make yourself some SHINIES, to provide for that big future army you plan on having. Welcome to the Dwarven Lords. Your home away from home.

Edited by Duran - 18 Apr 2015 at 21:45
Orin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 22:57
applauds duran
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 01:33
Nice guide, many good suggestions, and fun to read!  One of the recommendations I noticed that is very dwarf specific is prioritizing researching infantry.  That's a good suggestion for dwarves (and probably humans and orcs as well, for hunting), but for elves I'd tend to recommend ranged weapons before infantry, since sentinels are cheaper to make and probably a better choice than infantry for military for young elves.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 05:47
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Nice guide, many good suggestions, and fun to read!  One of the recommendations I noticed that is very dwarf specific is prioritizing researching infantry.  That's a good suggestion for dwarves (and probably humans and orcs as well, for hunting), but for elves I'd tend to recommend ranged weapons before infantry, since sentinels are cheaper to make and probably a better choice than infantry for military for young elves.

Seeing as this Guide applies to Dwarven Lords and they are all Dwarves it makes sense it is aimed at Dwarves.
Kaggen is my human half
Duran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 03:46
Yeah, if i could have uploaded a word document to the alliance Forums this would be in there, but i doesn't work out. It is more directed towards the dwarven population of course. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic