Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Devs: In my opinion it is time to add opt-in PVP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Devs: In my opinion it is time to add opt-in PVP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devs: In my opinion it is time to add opt-in PVP
    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 18:48
With the recent declaration of most big PVP alliances on Ascn and the (likely) possibility of more PVP vs. non-PVP alliance wars (Details here: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/pvp-ascn-war_topic10886.html) it is in my opinion necessary to talk about the following topic again and get a statement from the devs.

Is PVP alliances attacking non-PVP alliances that dislike/hate PVP a mechanic that is still wanted by the devs?

There are a lot of games where PVP is the only endgame. But Illyriad is different. There are a lot of ways to play the game and have fun. 42 alliances participated in the last tournament. The faction play slack channel has more than 100 members. Building/Trading/Hunting/Crafting/Chatting or playing for ranking points is something a lot of players enjoy.

Every player can choose what they like and do what they enjoy. Well, besides PVP. PVP players can force non-PVP players to engange in PVP - wether they enjoy it or not. Which is in my opinion a big problem. A small part of the community can force a bigger part of the community in activities they dislike or hate. Is that something the developers want?

As far as i know the game started as a pure PVP game in the beginning. Over time it developed more and more into a sandbox game. In the current state a lot of time and dedication is required to get to 20+ cities. In the beginning opt-in PVP didn't make much sense. In my opinion it does now though. Especially as there are more and more "casual" players.

And don't get me wrong. PVP is and should be an important part of the game. But in my opinion each player should decide wether he/she wants to participate or not. In the past this was done by PVP alliances only attacking PVP alliances - thus you could opt-in by joining a PVP alliance. Well, not anymore.

There are a lot of players that fear PVP and do not want to engange in it at all cost. For PVP players PVP is fun and they have no problem getting their cities attacked or even razed. For others it is. To a point where players are still scared about a war 5+ years after they finished the last one. Or not talking in GC because of some aggressive PVP players there.

In my opinion it is time for the devs to do something about it and protect them by adding some form of opt-in pvp.
King Sigerius View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 19:16
Go play Farmville, imo players like you are what got Ascn declared on in the first place.
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 19:55
Originally posted by King Sigerius King Sigerius wrote:

Go play Farmville, imo players like you are what got Ascn declared on in the first place.

Thank you for your input and kind of proving my point about the mentality of PVP players.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 20:23
What if measures other than population could be used to gain additional cities?  The population push and the resulting trade office cities resemble a poor centrally planned economy of the second world (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/second-world.asp) and are impractical for PvP, tournaments, hunting legions, and many other aspects of the game.  The game has many categories for rankings, why base the expansion of an empire solely on population?

Imagine earning the ability to have an extra city for reaching 1 million or 2 million defense ranking.

Edited by Wartow - 17 Jun 2021 at 20:24
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 20:31
Thanks for proving my point about farmers ruining the sandbox. 

Edited by King Sigerius - 17 Jun 2021 at 20:32
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 20:45

Thanks for proving my point about farmers ruining the PVP

I fixed that for you. And even then i disagree. Its not "our" fault that you buy supplies and want "our" gold to fight. Or that you do not seem to have fun fighting players that want to play PVP.

Farmers did certainly not ruin the tournaments, hunting, crafting, ...

Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 20:50
Two sides to every coin, at the end of the day we'll both have our own opinions and justifications. Crying will get you nowhere, it's our sandbox too. You don't like it? Do something about it.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 21:09

Two sides to every coin, at the end of the day we'll both have our own opinions and justifications. Crying will get you nowhere, it's our sandbox too. You don't like it? Do something about it.

I believe that's what he is trying to do.

This is also the main reason why I will be leaving Illy and before somebody says when I will leave when I've got the various tools etc I've made in a state that others can take on the maintenance etc of them and that is not going to happen overnight (it has taken me years to create them and currently I've no idea how long the documentation etc will need).

Tens
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 21:10

I am doing something about it. Just not what you want. It is usually smarter to not engange in what the other player is good at but instead play your own strength :)

The devs decide the rules of their game and what they think is best for it. That is why i would like to get a statement from them what they think.

In my opinion some of the non-PVP player quitting because they do not want to do PVP, engage with PVP alliances or feel threatend by PVP players in any way is not good for the game.
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 21:57
How about the pvp players quitting because there isn't enough pvp? You don't seem to care about them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic