illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDevelopement on sovs...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
belargyle View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developement on sovs...
    Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 23:58
It is an interesting aspect with T2 out now in which sovs have more meaning than just helping to buff aspects of our cities.

Now their are a couple of questions that come into being..

1. what happens if a person sovs into your land or the land of another (maybe you are sharing) and makes the claim it is now theirs and it is say, a rare mine?  :O

2. What if they sov 20 or more tiles away from their city?
...or 2b.  and - what if a person lands a city there and now claims it as their tile and it is 20 or tiles from your city?

Sov is an interesting aspect but especially now, with people trying to lay claim and expect to be left alone just because they either have an army there or they have sov'ed the area not 5 tiles away, not 10 tiles away, but 20 or more.

If I claim a sov that is 60 tiles away, is it really mine? (pun intended - hey, I'm a dwarf)

Just curious about the communities thoughts as this has happened to Dlord previously and is happening in a contention WITH Dlord currently. Not saying which aspect is currently happening but that I'm looking at what the community thinks since this is become a larger issue.

Edited by belargyle - 29 Aug 2012 at 00:12
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 00:31
All depends on how big of a stick they carry. 

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 01:26
One always has the option to counter-claim the sovereignty.  Presumably a city closer to the sov and/or a more well-established city would have more of a likelihood of successfully defending it.
Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 01:52
if you claim sov, then you are saying it's yours. Whatever any ten tile rule / agreement may be held as an ideal, Sov and armies are the only two real ways to make such a claim in this game.

So yeah, if you claim sov on a square 60 squares away then clearly it must be yours. Until someone makes it theirs.
belargyle View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 02:09
It is an odd dilemma, as sov is only as good as your ability to hold it. There is a courtesy of 5 or 10 squares, but really even that is whether or not people or alliances wish to go to war over such an issue. Some, like Dlord will, but at least we will TRY to talk it out.

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:14
Lets get real, if someone claims sov so far from their cities let them. It will cost a fortune to upkeep. If it is close to one of your cities you can always counterclaim at any stage, but I would let it be for a while just to get them to waste gold.
Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:25
Why would anyone claim sov 60 tiles away? 

ULYSSEUS View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:05
Outside of Dark's 8 square policy, closer if negotiated and agreed with by the dark member concerned. I am leaning toward the position that if a player claims any tile outside of our policy of 8 tiles then it belongs to them for as long as they have the power to hold it.

I think in cases of claiming, as noted above, 20 tiles out, should be left to the philosophy of "might makes right" school of thought. I also think any conflict over a claim so far out should be left to the individual players involved.

This line of thought is the only way i see that valuable resources are not locked down by any one person for any serious length of time.

However I also realize that alliance concerns may include the gathering of certain valuable resources for their own use and that permanently securing the source of said resources is paramount in their eyes.

Hence what would have been conflict between only two players now becomes much more intense conflict between alliances.

I see that happening rather quickly if whole alliances go about securing sources of valuable resources, effectively locking them down and shutting out other players from gathering them.

It is an interesting problem, many variables and no easy answers or solutions that avoid the potential for constant conflict between individuals or alliances.

Of course there will be trade agreements, etc. but i see even these becoming strained if the need is great enough and the resource rare enough.

Some men die young, some men die old, but all men die.
Tinuviel's Voice View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 13:50

According to wikipedia, "Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory. (...)
The current notion of state sovereignty is often traced back to the Peace of Westphalia (1648), which, in relation to states, codified the basic principles:

territorial integrity

border inviolability
"

Sov is absolute. Imho sov can't be shared with other players and is to be respected no matter how far from the owner's cities. Counter-claiming sov could be easily perceived as an act of war.

Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Bonaparta Bonaparta wrote:

Why would anyone claim sov 60 tiles away? 

Exodus. I've had to do it several times and it's cost me millions of gold. I doubt anyone would hold sov that far away for any other reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic