Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDDoS Attacks on game server.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DDoS Attacks on game server.
    Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 23:15
I thought I'd just post this here so people are aware of what can happen:

http://forum.astroempires.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=99112

This is another game I play. Today and yesterday a Distributed Denial of Service attack brought down the entire site. Eventually this was isolated to just 1 server (which was hosting 2 game servers).

This attack happened during a massive server-wide action which had a MAJOR influence on the in-game for hundreds of players, unless there is a server-roll back this will undo months/years of preparation and account building.

So beware people, and take note devs... the internet can be a big and scary place!

I hope there are some good contingencies in the event of this kind of attack on Illyriad.

I have x10 the confidence in the Illyriad administration than the AE admin so i'm sure they'll cope x10 better if it happens though. ^^

Strategos View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Operations

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 23:47
Rest assured, we are *very* paranoid people and have definately had things like this in mind.

I should also point out, that any such action against our servers would not be considered a prank, but a serious crime and would be handled as such.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
G0DsDestroyer View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 03:47
Well i can't seem to log onto AE yet so idk whats going on there.
I have faith in the Devs and MODs to protect us. All hail the mighty Punkbuster Strategos!Beer
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 17:08
I'm absolutely confident that even if nothing else could be done, the devs here would be able to roll back the server to a point just before the attack.  They're almost as rabid with logging and backups as I am.

Also, DDoS against modern servers requires enough resources as to be prohibitively expensive.  (It takes having a large botnet dedicated to the attack.)  That's why such interference tends only to happen these days when political agendas, corporate espionage, etc. are at play.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic