illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Data requests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Illyriad Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Illyriad Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data requests
    Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 15:17
Hi all,

This thread is for people to submit requests for what they'd like to see in any Illyriad data files that we intend to release for third party developers to write applications against.

Please note the following:
1. We do not condone the use of bots or scripts in Illyriad.  If you use a bot or a script it *will* be noticed, and you will be in breach of the Terms & Conditions of use.
2. We do, however, understand that people may want Illyriad data either for their own use or for writing publically accessible third party applications.  We will do our best to satisfy reasonable requests.
3. Reasonable requests for data include practically anything that is normally available from your ingame interface, but certain data may be withheld, entirely at our discretion.
4. Any data we do provide via any interface, be it ingame, API-based, XML web services, flat-file data dumps or whatever remains, at all times, the Intellectual Property of Illyriad Games Limited, and its use is subject to our Terms & Conditions.  Data use, types, content, and the availability of any data feeds may be withdrawn or modified by us at any time, without prior notice.
5. We do not condone the retrieval, use, or display of Illyriad data in any kind of Commercial context without the express written consent of GM Stormcrow or the Illyriad Administrator.

Thanks,

Illyriad Team

Edited by GM ThunderCat - 09 Sep 2021 at 14:17
Illyriad Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illyriad Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 15:35
Some general pointers, before you ask for more data than you bargained for!

The map in Illyriad is very large - more than 4 million squares worth - and there is a lot of data for each square, ranging from terrain data to city data, from military occupation data to quest data, from NPC data to spell effect data.

Each server has a possible player capacity of over 100K players.  We may limit this for performance purposes as the server grows.

We expect, towards end-game, for most of the active players ingame to have somewhere between 8 and 12 cities each, so you need to be aware that Town data might exceed 1M returns itself.

We're not going to provide realtime data - there will always be a delay of some length, but we're willing to discuss what that delay will be for the different data types.

One very specific pointer is that we are *not* interested in providing data to people who subsequently use their website to post actions back into the Illyriad server.  Please don't think you can use any data in our data feeds to create your own "actions" within Illyriad - or to automate actions and/or action combinations.  The only valid way of doing things in Illyriad is via the Illyriad interface itself.  We may lift the restriction on this in very specific, limited contexts that do not provide any specific advantage over other players who only use the game interface - again, up for discussion on a case-by-case basis.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 17:43
Interesting, so it sounds like you need to have one mass download of data that is static (underlying map info, unit info, building info)  which someone would only need to hit once.

The dynamic data (E.g. a list of player names, their city locations, alliance affiliation, score breakdown) could either be a "mass download" or an incremental list of changes between two dates and times.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 22:56
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Interesting, so it sounds like you need to have one mass download of data that is static (underlying map info, unit info, building info)  which someone would only need to hit once.

The dynamic data (E.g. a list of player names, their city locations, alliance affiliation, score breakdown) could either be a "mass download" or an incremental list of changes between two dates and times.

Yup, exactly.  My personal preference is generally for a "mass download" of the data - it's easier from my end to implement snapshots - but maybe some of our more competent developers (paging ThunderClap to this thread... ThunderClap please come in....) might have other thoughts.

Whilst I'm sure underlying map data will definitely be on the "I want" list, I guess it'd be good to know what kind of apps people are thinking of developing as well, so we can make sure we cover the datatypes adequately and in the correct order of development; as well as carefully considering what kind of data we're willing to part with at what level of timeliness.
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
naive View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 03:56
i would think the map data is most important at this point.  perhaps at a scaled down rate to avoid large file downloads and in effect allow for more recent data. for starters, probably just all coordinates of each town, its owner, and the alliance he or she reigns from.

in addition to being able to "see" the entire world, but lower on the priority chain, we would like to be able to approximate distances and timing between point A and point B. with that, we would need the weights given to different terrain (and obviously the terrain data for the entire map), unless an in-game calculator is in the works!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 15:10
Originally posted by naive naive wrote:

i would think the map data is most important at this point.  perhaps at a scaled down rate to avoid large file downloads and in effect allow for more recent data. for starters, probably just all coordinates of each town, its owner, and the alliance he or she reigns from.

in addition to being able to "see" the entire world, but lower on the priority chain, we would like to be able to approximate distances and timing between point A and point B. with that, we would need the weights given to different terrain (and obviously the terrain data for the entire map), unless an in-game calculator is in the works!

In game calculator is, exactly, in the works.  Not having arrival time display for unit movements was a peculiar oversight!

We'll see what we can hack together regarding current Town Data.
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 17:21
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Yup, exactly.  My personal preference is generally for a "mass download" of the data - it's easier from my end to implement snapshots - but maybe some of our more competent developers (paging ThunderClap to this thread... ThunderClap please come in....) might have other thoughts.

I'd agree with this for the moment at least; if we were allowing ad-hoc queries it might cause a detriment to in-game performance, depending how many players where accessing it and how hard they were hammering it - but I suppose we can see how it goes...

Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 22:24
So as i understand it the general terrain is pretty static, and there aren't are a limited number of unique tile bitmaps. Thus it would be awesome if you could at least provide an XML file with all of the squares and their terrain type. It would be epic if you could include the images as well but, we could manage without them with just custom squares or something. 

Yes I realize that'd be a sizable XML file but it would really only be downloaded once, and by people likely to do something programatically with it, so that's not very many downloads.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 22:33
Hi Larry,

Yes, this is something we would happily consider.

We might split it into multiple files covering each quadrant - simply to fit into a reasonable download size per file.

It would come with some cautionary notes, the main one being:

Terrain type *does* change when new players join the game.

A bunch of squares are randomly seeded when the server is initialised as "starting" squares, and these show on the map as generic "Plains" tiles.

However, when a new player starting out is randomly assigned to settle on this square, the tile changes type to whatever their racial starting type is.

The terrain type is iirc covered in the towns file, but if not we'd need to add a few specific fields into the towns file to reassign terrain type in the world map data dump.

Also, the jury is not yet entirely back in on some very high level Geomancy spells that might have some possible "Terrain Forming" applications, but we could cross those bridges later down the road.

Finally, given that it's largely a one-off download, would an XML file be appropriate?  Or would it be a lot smaller and more efficient just to get some sort of (pipe?) delimited flat file? I know ThunderClap is very keen on pipes.

Regards,

GM Stormcrow
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 22:38
Honestly the manner in which the data is organized doesn't matter too much to me at least, Ruby is rather good at parsing these kinds of things. Use whichever provides the smallest download, without being an utter pain to parse.

The bias towards XML comes from the mindless ease with which ruby (and other languages) can deal with it, but regexp are fun too and could probably deal with any format you through at it.

Edited by Larry - 23 Mar 2010 at 23:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic